Author Topic: Finding Walleye  (Read 2307 times)

Offline swirusek

• Team IceShanty Regular
Finding Walleye
« on: Feb 11, 2007, 01:30 PM »
Im new to walleye fishing and i woudl like to get some help
After reading a lot of posts here (lots of info) i know how to rig my tipups and what bait to use
What i dont know is how to locate the EYES
I will be on lake that i never fished before so i dont even know where to start
Here is the pic of the lake so any help woudl be very big plus
Thank You and sorry for big pic

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
Re: Finding Walleye
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2007, 02:04 PM »
I would try at the north end by your map you have a sharp drop off there start swallow working deeper to see at what level you trigger a strike . If it was at the 20 ft mark you have a island in center work that.On the south west side is apoint coming out you have struture plus again a quick drop off. Thats where i would start hope that helps. Is that a real lake?

Offline swirusek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2007, 05:06 PM »
Thank you perch-man and yes it is real lake

walleyechaser

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2007, 02:03 PM »
wow what a nice lookin lake.  I would try that saddle between that island and shore for sure.

Then work around that island to the south.  Both saddles on the islands where the deeper water creates almost a channel between island and shore would be my first bet.  Any fish roaming from basin to basin has to pass through there.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2007, 02:10 PM »
The north end has a nice wide out plain from 30-40 FOW, with a nice step-up to 20 and 10.
Also the 20' islands creat some nice funnels that WC mentioned, for sure.
The East Bay also has some nice 30 FOW and is a bit isolated. Nice lookin Lake. Are there any inlets? Looks like one at the North end, if so, I like that area even better.

flockshot

« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2007, 03:38 PM »
i like that little deep flat concaved in the south east end. a good day time spot i think.

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2007, 01:26 PM »
I WOULD TRY THE EAST END OF THE MAP WERE THE POINT COMES OUT BY THAT DEEP WATER. THERE IS A NICE BAY OVER THERE THAT HAS A LARGE PLAIN OF SHALLOW WATER. IF THE BAY HAS A SANDY BOTTOM THEN IT WILL BE IDEAL. LOOK FR THE SAND AND GRAVEL TRANSITIONS, AND THE WEED LINES. YOU WILL FIND YOUR WALLEYES THERE 4 SURE.

Offline Scientist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2007, 01:34 PM »
Walleyes are located at different parts of the lake at different times of the winter. Some lakes the movement is more pronounced than in others. (Tip: If you can, take a boat with a fish finder and mark the bottom types on the map, ie stone, sand, muck, weedlines and how deep and far they extend. Only has to be done once. This will help you select your spots during different times of the year.) . Without knowing the bottom type of the lake survey I will give you my suggestions assuming that most of it is stone or gravel
Early season and black ice I typically find them in fairly deep water 30 ft plus so the northern most island is ideal because it is a fairly shallow area but with close access to deep water. If the 50 to 60’ foot area is a muck bottom target the opposite side of the island.  Also any points with sharp drop-offs to deep water should be targeted.
Middle season, ice is opaque possibly some powder snow is on it , I would target the southern most point on the island by the two boat launches.
Late season, ice has had snow on it for considerable amount of time and light penetration is minimal and is possibly honeycombed due to thaw and re-freeze, I would target the cove on the northern most part of the lake or to the left of it. Looks like prime spawning area if there is a gravel bottom and an inlet stream. Late season I also like to fish shallow as well, less than 15 feet of water. Some of the largest fish I caught were late season females about to spawn.  Don’t worry, they were all released, have to make sure there will be more for the future. Besides I’ll have the additional pleasure of catching them in the summer, then they will end up in the frying pan.  :tipup:
breathing in, breathing out..this is life is all about ...We change when we start to make of life what we want.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.