Author Topic: Sunny or cloudy?  (Read 2279 times)

Offline Ashnohgrimbatul

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sunny or cloudy?
« on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:34 AM »
Do you find that walleye are more active under stable sunny conditions or stable overcast conditions?  Does the amount of snow cover have any effect on the general pattern?  What about water clarity?
Let there be ice.

Offline Ashnohgrimbatul

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Sunny or cloudy?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2006, 06:06 PM »
Yeah, time of day has a huge effect....but last winter I thought I was noticing a pattern where at first ice the walleye were more active on cloudy days, but as snow cover increased they became more active on sunny days.  The body of water I was fishing was low clarity, around 4'.  Wondering if other people have seen a similar pattern.
Let there be ice.

dwayne

« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2006, 11:15 AM »
I experience them to be extremely weather variable on the bodies of water I target them in the winter.  A cold front will kill the bite quickly but the oncoming of a front will turn them on.  When the barometer is stable high, they tend to feed more at the low light conditions as opposed to the daytime.

Offline Manny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2006, 12:14 PM »
I prefer a sunny day for walleys if I am going to set-up for an evening bite.  Don't wanna get into the guesses as to why, I just get more bites.

Manny
The minute you stop learning is the minute you are 6FT under.

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2006, 01:26 PM »
This year when there was little snow cover on the ice I had the best luck when it was cloudy in the morning. But now thats it has snowed a bit more on Tuesday my friends brother was fishing at the shack and had the most action in the middle of the day and it was sunny out. Then Wednesday it was slow in the afternoon when I went and it was cloudy. ???
They were also very aggressive on Wednesday, I missed a few fish and put another minnow on then put it back down and they would hit as soon as I brought it off bottom.
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.