Author Topic: walleye experts???  (Read 4023 times)

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
walleye experts???
« on: Mar 28, 2005, 10:50 PM »
i fish at a lk up here in canada that is 50 mi long.i know a biologist very well.he once told me of a test netting that they did.they caught and tagged a bunch of walleye.two days later and 40 miles down the lake,they netted the very same single tagged walleye.is this normal behavior for walleye to travel this far in a day or two??

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: walleye experts???
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2005, 10:26 AM »
im not an expert, but depending upon the time of year, it could be possible that the fish was either on a spawning movement, or was chasing forage.  That is some incredible movement for any fish though...almost unbelievable, but i guess its possible

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2005, 03:59 PM »
Predators like walleyes are always going to be near the forage. In this case of pelagic forage, since the forage makes long migrations, the walleyes are going to as well.
But for walleyes to move that far, that is amazing.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2005, 03:02 PM »
im either stupid or you are very smart.i have no idea what palegic means can you elaborate tyler.oh here is another  interesting factoid. i was fishin yesterday and ran into a fellow that was fishin on the other side of the lk. he came over to see how the whitefish were bitin.he told me he was over catchin some walleye over there.......i looked over and he was almost in the middle of the lk.i know its like over 100ft deep.he may have been in less than 100 but trust me i know the lk and he was not in 12 or 15 fow.i again talked to him 2hrs later and he informed me that he landed a 11.6 lb walleye although he did not show it to me.so my question is can a person catch walleye in that deep of water,(50ft-100ft).this lk is a 50 mi long ravine that was flooded way back in the 60s.there is 50 ft trees growing as well as farm machinery etc down bellow.there is also an underground gas well.neat hey

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2005, 05:34 PM »
im either stupid or you are very smart.
Pelagic usually refers to fish that swim around a body of water in big school, seemingly aimlessly. I usually think of smelt when I hear the word pelagic, but there are others, like shad and alewives.

50-100 feet seems a little deep to me, but I'm not an expert.

-Wes

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2005, 09:52 AM »
thanks for the peligic info.yes 50-100ft does seem deep.perhaps he was on a hump that is located  in the middle of the lk.would that be possible?would a walleye stay on a hump?im so busy trying to find rainbows that i have no time for walleye.my goal is to catch one of the large rainbows(20-30lb) in the lk.no luck yet though.had a couple of 15(aprox.)on but lost them.not enough line on spool!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2005, 06:33 PM »
Those are some big rainbows, good luck!

When I think walleye, I think 15-35 feet of water, and usually connected to land, like the shoreline or even an island. I imagine it could be possible that they could be on a hump, but I would think more like a point or something. Does that make any sense? Its just my thought.

-Wes

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2005, 12:18 AM »
Yes walleyes love humps
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Tip-UpTommer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2005, 10:32 AM »
40 miles is a long way for a walleye to move in 2 days especially. he must have been on a mission of somekind.

grumpymoe

« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2005, 01:50 PM »
I recall some fisheries biologists that tagged fish near my hometown quite afew years ago......several were caught 4-5 days later at least 50  miles from the initial tagging...and this was summer.....(upstream)...I've caught walleye from 80-85' of water more than afew times in one of my old haunts......and consistently in 40-50 as well.....Grump

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2005, 06:20 PM »
I have a question about walleyes , this summer i caught 4 eyes about the same size about 2-3 lbs range I cooked them up and they all tasted great except for one tasted extremely horrible ,Ive never tasted one so bad does anyone no what could of caused this.  ??? ???
Sax

grumpymoe

« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2005, 07:43 PM »
I have a question about walleyes , this summer i caught 4 eyes about the same size about 2-3 lbs range I cooked them up and they all tasted great except for one tasted extremely horrible ,Ive never tasted one so bad does anyone no what could of caused this.  ??? ???
...thats actually a very good question and one that I have 2 thoughts on.....firstly, did you cut open the gall when you were cleaning them???....if you did, that could explain it.....processors immediately discard them if that happens......the other is possibly diet...I have purchased fresh caught walleye from commercial outlets and cleaned them myself......1-2 or 2 out of 10 fish seem to impart a very distasteful flavor.....and they have been carefully cleaned....does anyone have a factual explanation of why this happens???....BTW.....fresh walleye out of other lakes NEVER have this unpleasant taste.....Grump

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2005, 07:57 PM »
.......i know its like over 100ft deep.he may have been in less than 100 but trust me i know the lk and he was not in 12 or 15 fow.i again talked to him 2hrs later and he informed me that he landed a 11.6 lb walleye although he did not show it to me.so my question is can a person catch walleye in that deep of water,(50ft-100ft).this lk is a 50 mi long ravine that was flooded way back in the 60s.there is 50 ft trees growing as well as farm machinery etc down bellow.there is also an underground gas well.neat hey

In deep lakes walleye will suspend at whatever depth the baitfish can be found. If the bait was only 25' down he could have been jigging at that depth. That might explain it.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2005, 08:00 PM »
thanks for the info grump , I cleaned the fish carefully so i dont think it was the gall , but i chould of made a mistake.  ???
Sax

Offline Grimace

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ive Had It
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2005, 06:39 AM »
I believe those peligic walleye were looking for the pike that killed there brother.  were they carrying little tiny pitch forks?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.