Author Topic: Fishing a summer hole in the winter  (Read 1493 times)

Offline BigDVO

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fishing a summer hole in the winter
« on: Jan 19, 2011, 11:20 AM »
I have many lakes nearby here in Northern Manitoba. I fish a couple in the summer and a couple different ones in the winter mainly due to ease of access. I have always wanted to ice fish my summer walleye hole on Setting Lake (where I have a cabin) . We dont use our cabin in the winter and the hole is about 15-20 mins by boat. We have fished the same hole and the same general area for years and its always produced. Ovbiously sometimes are slower than others depending on the time of year but you know what I mean. My friend recently bought a cabin on the same lake and is using it year round. This definatly gives me an opportunity to fish the location. Have people had the same luck fishing their summer holes in the winter? I am excited to try it out.

Offline bjones1984

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fishing a summer hole in the winter
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2011, 05:36 PM »
i wouldn't be able to tell you if you are gonna have luck fishing a summer hole on the ice but i would like to know how you do.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:40 PM »
My summer spots generally do not produce like in winter time.   However when it comes to walleyes, they do like their rock/sand piles so that will produce year round.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline BigDVO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2011, 06:51 AM »
I will definatly try it out this year and let you boys know. Now that you mention the sand, I will be trying another area as well :) Thanks for the help boys

Online hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2011, 01:52 PM »
The "area" near my summer spots do produce in the winter. In the winter water level is lower but the fish seem to be nearby. Lake has gone down about 5/6 feet since mid December....hunts2long
Northville, NY

Offline bjones1984

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:57 PM »
are lakes have gone up this year!!! they are still below normal though. im thinking thats why my normal walleye honey hole isn't bringing in the fish like it did last winter.

Offline jiggin365

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2011, 01:41 PM »
Fish spots you fished in the fall in the winter

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.