New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1092478 times)

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Hey man im a member of Orange Lake...thats where i was yesterday....pickeral and bass mainly the panfish bit hasnt really caught on yet...send me a pm if you wanna hit it...im on vacation this week so im fishin everyday but monday(its my sons second Bday)
Thanks for the White Lake info...the lakers are what im after!! Ive been there before but there is so much water id just like to know where to start
white lake isn't all that great. i would try one of the new york city reservoirs in westchester.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i agree with pooley..i've stomped white lake alot and dont like it myself....

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Never had much luck on White Lake either. Always seems to be windy too.

Offline dooberhoopa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ridin' fishin' or huntin' i just wanna be outside
Thanks alot guys....just looking for something a little different this week!! any suggestions?
Team MIRC NYRC chapter....ROCK BASS ON
The Official Medicine Man of MIRC
Tis better to have fished and lied than never fished at all

Offline pdbjr1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yeah I'm a redneck, I could ice fish for a living.
i have fished white lake as well and didnt really have any luck.

On a different note went fishing Saturday and not many flags, none for myself.  I caught a couple dink perch jigging.  But at the end of the day(as we are packing up)  two bald eagles fly overhead like 15 foot up and they dont just fly over they kind of hang out in the area for awhile.  Very cool.  Only one problem I was so interested in watching them I never grabbed my camera out of my pocket.

Heaven is a Jack and Coke in one hand, a jig pole in the other and being surrounded by the ones that don't mind you do both.

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eagles will steal your fish in a second. They hang around a lot these days sometimes only twenty feet away hoping someone will toss up a pickerel. Don't know if it's legal to give them fish though.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
LilWeez first off welcome to Ice Shanty Orange Lake is private you would have to known a home owner or join the sportsman's club that has their club house on route 52. Go back a few pages in this thread i believe some one posted about fishing Orange Lake maybe he can get you access in exchange for some type of favor on your part.
  Dooperhoopa there is a state boat launch for White lake off of roue 55 in Kauneonga Lake .the lake contains the same species of fish as the majority of waters here in south east NY. there also are trout including Lakers but they are hard to locate. Send a personal message to gamalot or is it gamealot he lives near Monticello and can give you better info.
  Steve

It is Gamalot for Gary & Mary plus my last name.

White Lake sure could be a good place to fish if any of us took the time to learn the ropes there. Every year they have the King of the Ice contest there and lots of good fish are caught. Most are scally critters, perch and pickerel and a few decent trout. The contest is a complete zoo but fun for some I guess.
You can drive your ATV or snow machine but be 100% legal for sure.
I rarely ever hear of Lakers being iced but some nice browns do come up now and then. I think it is a simple matter of time and effort to find the tricks and hit the right spots.
I don't know about the rest of us but ice fishing is hit and miss every time I go. If you fish for any species and are happy to just catch anything then you can be fine. Targeting a specific fish like trout, lakers or Eyes can be a pretty tough way to go. I do it all the time and don't care that I get skunked allot. No offense to any one here but I would rather stay home and warm than to catch pickerel and pan fish all day long. I never caught a Laker or Eye through the ice but would be happy to give it a go.

I live real close to Rio and Swinging Bridge but never fish either. White Lake is 10 miles from me and worth a try on a day when the winds don't blow us off.
It sure would be nice to hear some accurate ice reports for Swinging bridge and White lake because just 3 weeks ago neither were ready.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline spremont

• IceShanty Rookie
dooberhoopa been told they do good w/ lakers on the gilead in carmel (nyc res)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Gamalot sorry about the user name mix up, the info. you posted is about the same I have heard about White Lake.
  Dooberhoopa if you looking to catch trout give Blue Lake in Sterling Forest a try as I posted earlier there may also be some hold over walleye from when Sterling Forest was Private property. Lake Huntington in the Western Sullivan County hamlet of the same name also contains trout.
   I agree with Gamalot regardless  of the water body you have to put your time in to find fish location and what usually works to get them to bite. Big Pond in Delware County by the hamlet of Turnwwod also contains trout as Gamalot has posted here on I.S. this lake can be hit or Miss as far as action. Big Pond is also rather isolated so go with someone for your safety. I not sure you can get cell phone service if you needed to make a call for what ever reason. There is a local program to stock walleye in Morningside Lake in Hurleyville how many and what size are in the lake I do not know only heard of this program last year  
 Steve

Offline Hammer614

• Team IceShanty Regular
I talked with a DEC officier last weekend and he told me he was out checking people on Morningside lake.........he said they had a bunch of perch and 1 guy even had a keeper Walleye..........so take it for what it's worth.   Tight Lines
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
I see my posts did not stick On Sat. Hope to bugs get worked out on the site....

Any way, I Ice two bows on thursday afternoon.  On Sat PM went out in my back yard & it was real slow, til I moved 25' over and Iced 30 Perch in an hour.  It was cold and windy. couldn't feel my fingers and wasn't smart enough just to put the Jig rod down and walk home. :P
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
I see my posts did not stick On Sat. Hope to bugs get worked out on the site....

Any way, I Ice two bows on thursday afternoon.  On Sat PM went out in my back yard & it was real slow, til I moved 25' over and Iced 30 Perch in an hour.  It was cold and windy. couldn't feel my fingers and wasn't smart enough just to put the Jig rod down and walk home. :P
we had a dead day saturday. 2 fish, and i lost my only one.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
at least you guys got to drill holes.. ::)and didn't get stuck... ::)

Offline hockey12

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone been to Huntington lately? My dad and I may take a ride up this week.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Anyone been to Huntington lately? My dad and I may take a ride up this week.
sweet. i'll show you where we were. ;)

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
sweet. i'll show you where we were. ;)
what day???????????? maybe i'll meet ya.....

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I seem to remember a pink house  ;)

Offline iceman99

• Team IceShanty Regular
Has anyone heard from iceballs? I pmd him and have not got an answer.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac

same here...

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Nope.... But heard from Mr. Clean though.  He is working different Hours.  I was hoping to get in on the Central NY get together He organized last Year.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
i spoke to someone today who lives on round lake in monroe & she said there were guys fishing there this weekend. i don;t know how much ice there is. walt

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
I talked with a DEC officier last weekend and he told me he was out checking people on Morningside lake.........he said they had a bunch of perch and 1 guy even had a keeper Walleye..........so take it for what it's worth.   Tight Lines
hammer, did they survive in that shallow lk through the summer or do they stock it anually? I know swinging bridge has em :)  It was tough fishing both jigs and tipups ..no keepers and only a couple which were quickly released.. very small but a good sign for me anyway, seeing is believing 8)  by the way at least 8 inches ice probably over 12 inches by now. glta
lonelywolf lol

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
I had a great time during our "5 week" ice fishing season. Even though there are no gamefish in the area. I will give him some credit, Shop-Rite does have a pretty good SEAFOOD department. Although I will venture to say that I am a little more satisfied with the SEAFOOD department at the A&P. It probably doesn't compare to all of the SEAFOOD that you can catch in the Adirondacks.
Here is a nice fish from a no game fish lake in Orange County, NY. TIGHT LINES!
(Image removed from quote.)
question for greenwood lake ice fishing, if i only have a new york state fishing license, can i park on the jersey side and fish jersey side or must i need a jersey license for entering onto the ice? also , is general rules 5 fishing devices total? meaning up to  4 tipups and one handline(jigging rod)?   thanks ahead
lonelywolf lol

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
yes, he was on her a couple of weeks ago.

Offline hockey12

• Team IceShanty Regular
question for greenwood lake ice fishing, if i only have a new york state fishing license, can i park on the jersey side and fish jersey side or must i need a jersey license for entering onto the ice? also , is general rules 5 fishing devices total? meaning up to  4 tipups and one handline(jigging rod)?   thanks ahead

You can fish jersey side with a NY license

Offline Hammer614

• Team IceShanty Regular
hammer, did they survive in that shallow lk through the summer or do they stock it anually? I know swinging bridge has em :)  It was tough fishing both jigs and tipups ..no keepers and only a couple which were quickly released.. very small but a good sign for me anyway, seeing is believing 8)  by the way at least 8 inches ice probably over 12 inches by now. glta
The DEC officier didn't say......and I didn't ask....unfortunately. I would think that they would have a hard time surviving the summer since the max depth is only 10 feet.......seems like a waste

Offline Hammer614

• Team IceShanty Regular
Think I might head up to morningside tomorrow.    Oh and guys just a heads up.......went to Gander Mountain today to get some certified bait......they were out.  I asked the manager when he was getting his delivery in and this is what he said........" NYS is not letting us buy bait from any out of state vendors.........so we don't know when or if we are getting any more"      WOW :o ::)

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Well, they set Cameryn's coming out party date for Feb 3, so fishing that next weekend (6th and 7th) will be out of the question...will be sure to post lots of pics...

Any word on the Sandbar/Highland Lake tourney dates yet? or a date for the gathering?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
That's pure BS! The place I buy my bait, farmers market on 17B just past the raceway, gets their bait from a guy in Pa. or NJ.

Support the local little guys so they keep up the good work!

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
That's pure BS! The place I buy my bait, farmers market on 17B just past the raceway, gets their bait from a guy in Pa. or NJ.

Support the local little guys so they keep up the good work!

Gary i think deep pockets are playing us online too! these regulators
need to be investigated. baitfish doesn;t need to be sgipped in from another state! lol these regs are crazy! it smells fishy! :-\
lonelywolf lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.