New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1093305 times)

Offline IcefishrNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
Gassed up the old jiffy yesterday, started on the third pull, just needed one small adjustment to the carb, it was running a little too rich. Wish every engine I own ran that good
and was that easy to work on! Charger the battery on the vexilar last week, man I'm ready. Was 5 degres this AM, lake is about ready and now they're calling for snow, hope we are far enough west to miss most of it. Put the plow on the
truck just in case.

Good job on the prep work.....how much snow did you end up getting? 4-6 inches here in the city which of course means everything comes to a grinding halt.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
I think we had more drifting snow than from the air...that wind was just terrible today >:(

Offline pdbjr1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yeah I'm a redneck, I could ice fish for a living.
topher thanks for the pics. I am gonna try to build a shanty and auger holder out of conduit along with runners for the jet sled.  Probably wont be pretty but we will see if it works.  Ill post pics if it does

Heaven is a Jack and Coke in one hand, a jig pole in the other and being surrounded by the ones that don't mind you do both.

Offline pdbjr1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yeah I'm a redneck, I could ice fish for a living.
Yesterday my brother and I tested out Morningside(since it is always the first to freeze)  It had like 5-6 inches of clear ice.  I have never experienced that before, it looked like open water.  To make a long story short, I was skunked and he got 2 really nice picks and like 7 small ones.

The ice was so clear I watched him pull one pickerel in through it.

Heaven is a Jack and Coke in one hand, a jig pole in the other and being surrounded by the ones that don't mind you do both.

Offline TophersFishinBuddy

• IceShanty Rookie
We made a lot of progress on the kitchen over the weekend. Here's some pictures ... a couple of them are Topher completely inside one of the 30" wide x 24" deep x 88" tall pantry cabinets (we put in two...I wanted LOTS of storage... and NO Topher, it's not for your fishing stuff!!!).

....Yes, as a matter of fact, I DO fish like a girl...

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
ahhh, the old closet system/cabinet/garage storage days. i remember them well, and don't miss them! :P
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm gonna be glad when its ALL done...only a few more cabinets to go

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
shes working the hide off you... ;) ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac

good thing I do a lot of the cooking  ;)

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: hows she feeling ??????????? are ya running out at mid nite for pickles and watermellon yet ?????????

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
she's doing great....something like 46 days to go...Holehawg, I got a PM about a tourney on Long Pond Jan. 17th...bass and pickerel.....20 bucks a head...I'm trying to get it posted on the PA page...if I can't I'll let you know details if needed

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
could happen..i gotta host a poker night on the 16th...i might be a little fuzzy the next day... ;) ;D... glad tfb is doing well.... :)

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm supposed to fish an IFPA tourney that Sunday...not sure yet myself....but if I don't I'll probably fish Long Pond

Offline mschott

• Team IceShanty Regular
yeah...i still mess up that part... ;D  that new holland was moving some snow this morning... ;) ;D i rode by the lake on the road behind your house ...where it looks like there was a camp years ago...been trying to see if anyones around there...i'd like to ask permission to ice fish it....no luck so far...
   Yeah its great having a neighbor with a front loader-makes life a little easier!!! As far as the lake back there , only 2 people allowed on the ice there,insurance reasons i am told.

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
figures....insurance / sueing has killed some good fishing spots.... ::) ::) ::)

Offline mschott

• Team IceShanty Regular
figures....insurance / sueing has killed some good fishing spots.... ::) ::) ::)

It's a great lake alot of sand takes a while to get safe ice though  - alot of springs

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
lord.... knows i can find them springs....  ::)... i've gotten alittle gun shy about early ice... ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline mschott

• Team IceShanty Regular
lord.... knows i can find them springs....  ::)... i've gotten alittle gun shy about early ice... ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
  I'm with ya there when i used to do alot of muskrat trapping  (when there were a few around) i came home many times just as wet as the rats!

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac

only know about the one on Lower by that first point and in the second cove at Long Pond by the inlet...other than that I am unaware of em anywhere else I fish

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
lake huntington has one just past the docks i like to fish by where the gazebo fell in the lake.... ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I think it's too shallow to fish over that far, based on the open water scouting trip this summer....but if you go 50 ft on a diagonal toward the launch from the gazebo, there is a huge pocket in the weeds that had a nice sized LM cruising around in...have to see if I can find it when we fish there.....

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i caught some nice bass in 3ft water over there last time... sometimes them fish like to swim them shallow spots for a easy meal..learned that with the river wallys...

Offline mschott

• Team IceShanty Regular
Last year up at duck harbor it was pretty cold so i didnt venture far from the cabin and the fire in the pit,had some :tipup: set up out front and just for kicks set one out in about 2 ft of water right in front of the stream that flows in and had a ball with trout and the occasional perch ,didnt even need a flag just watched em take the bait.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
had a hole like that at Highland last year too....Holehawg couldn't even get the bait from the tip up down the hole and set it down...ended up jigging 20 or so perch out of it...

Offline mschott

• Team IceShanty Regular
had a hole like that at Highland last year too....Holehawg couldn't even get the bait from the tip up down the hole and set it down...ended up jigging 20 or so perch out of it...

thats always a good day

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
remember the nice bunch of crappies we took out of that area....i really hope lake huntington and highland are a go for after x-mass...plus i gotta get back to that priv. bass lake .... :)

Offline mschott

• Team IceShanty Regular
Out looking for some ice this afternoon holehawg??

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
we're up for both here! :clap: :icefish:
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline TophersFishinBuddy

• IceShanty Rookie

Don't feel too sorry for him Holehawg, Topher still has plenty of hide left on him. Good thing too, we had to pick up the crib/changing table combo tonight, which was quite heavy. Of course, typical of Topher's luck, the stock boy they sent out to "help" him had a 20 lb weight restriction due to an injury  :roflmao: so he might as well have taken it out himself... good thing he's my tough guy :flex:

About the cravings... the only thing I have wanted, I ran for myself...called for a few late night Chicken Parm Hoagie runs... but we all have to sacrifice at times.  ;)2
....Yes, as a matter of fact, I DO fish like a girl...

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
good to hear from you TFB! glad you're feeling well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.