New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1093395 times)

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
got those on a spinner...the fly rod was working good, but they weren't taking what I was offering and we were running out of daylight so I didn't have time to play more with the flies...  caught them on a Joe's Favorite Joe's spinner...

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
good job topher! that's a nice catch.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
All is Quiet on the Northern front   :whistle: :unsure: :whistle:

Just back from the optomotrist....I can see why I couldn't see before  ::)  what a difference the correct prescription has on your eyes...I'll be able to see flies hatching and floating down the creek.. :o

Look out world !!!here comes Topher  ;) ;D

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
funny ya should mention that....i've been cutting studs and drywall too short all week.....perhaps its time to..... ;)2 :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
you guys are getting old on me! :o :laugh:
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
well Beginner's luck struck again tonite ::)....Many thanks to Holehawg and the boys :thumbsup:...I'm getting the hang of this fly fishing thing...2 browns tonite and 1 more brookie...all during a Hendrickson Hatch...it was a beautiful thing..Holehawg...when you coming up this way for some trout?????

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
thats cool topher! glad to see your having success. i did well with Y-O yesterday. 4 trout, 2 largemouth, and a few lost before we got them in.

Offline YO1157

• Team IceShanty Regular
All is Quiet on the Northern front   :whistle: :unsure: :whistle:

Just back from the optomotrist....I can see why I couldn't see before  ::)  what a difference the correct prescription has on your eyes...I'll be able to see flies hatching and floating down the creek.. :o

Look out world !!!here comes Topher  ;) ;D
Hey Topher, its just the beginning, things start to get blurry, got to go to 6 lb, test from 4 because you can't see it to tie it,now I don't leave home without my glasses. Yup Pooley,gettin old!

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
well Beginner's luck struck again tonite ::)....Many thanks to Holehawg and the boys :thumbsup:...I'm getting the hang of this fly fishing thing...2 browns tonite and 1 more brookie...all during a Hendrickson Hatch...it was a beautiful thing..Holehawg...when you coming up this way for some trout?????
working like a dog down here buddy....going to 7 days a week for most of may...gotta pad the old checking account for next winter again... ;) ;D..glad to hear ya catchin' um.... :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
yup, we're doing good!

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
hopefully going to get out again Tuesday nite after work...as long as I get to the fly shop to add to my collection of flies that have been snagged or destroyed by fish...have 3 trophy flies, 1 tan caddis fly from which I caught my first trout with, 1 adams that I used to catch #2 with, and the 3rd from my first brown trout that he destroyed the fly..or I did releasing the fly from its mouth...soon enough I will try again..

Glad to hear business is booming Holehawg..things are the same at the shop as well..It's not often that I have to work so hard that I want to crash in bed as soon as I get home...gotta take it while it's there ;)

Took my Pops out to Upper Woods on Saturday...what a circus..it was like a whole 3 ring circus rolled into 1 circle...I'll post the pics probably tomorrow nite, but as for now it's back to building a 3-D model castle for the 14 yr old in the house...

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
went for a hike with my brothers yesterday in sterling forest. the bugs were a royal pain. every kind was out, from flies to bees. too much.

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
broke ground for garage footers today....bug's were brutal....i'll most likely get cancer from deep off woods. spray. :wacko:..if i croak ....i dont want any of youse guys  dating my blondzilla widow for my ice gear /guns.... ;)2 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: mighty warm here in the pocono's / catskills.... :pinch:

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
if she doesn't post it here, you kids will get the gear. otherwise, the race is on! ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
hit 96 on the local temperature at 5:30 this afternoon..so instead of fishing, we are in the midst of finishing the castle and then fishing tomorrow nite weather permitting....got restocked on flies..just hope to be in the right place at the right time....saw that the water temps at 6AM this morning were already 61 in Callicoon...way to hot way too fast...throwing the hatch schedule off ::)...

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
going out with Y-O again today. another try at brown trout.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
will be out tonite after work..... :icefish: :icefish: :thumbsup: :flex:

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
hope you guys made out better than I did tonite...managed 1 nice brookie  ;), but the water level and coloration through me for a loop ::) but the water temp made for some spectacular hatchings  :o it was a Hendrickson Blizzard .......  Holehawg, is there a caddis fly that looks like the prince nymph ??? I caught one on the water to look at it and it was an exact match to the prince nymph, except for it had a head in front of where the bead is on the fly

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
we only caught a smallie, and a catfish. the catfish was caught on a stickbait, trolling in 50 feet of water! :o second one in my boat, in this lake.

Offline TophersFishinBuddy

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey guys.. been MIA ... working on the castle.. will have pics soon, G-man had the camera in his jacket pocket and now the camera is his locker. It turned out awesome, we put the whole base (2' by 3') up on stainless steel legs so that we could build an "underground" dungeon and gauntlet. The castle itself has two floors, all surrounded by the outer wall. Walker's castle project was the first to get a PERFECT SCORE!! They are keeping it as an entry to the Harford Fair.
....Yes, as a matter of fact, I DO fish like a girl...

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
hope you guys made out better than I did tonite...managed 1 nice brookie  ;), but the water level and coloration through me for a loop ::) but the water temp made for some spectacular hatchings  :o it was a Hendrickson Blizzard .......  Holehawg, is there a caddis fly that looks like the prince nymph ??? I caught one on the water to look at it and it was an exact match to the prince nymph, except for it had a head in front of where the bead is on the fly
ya got me on that one....i'll have to ask mike the fly tyer...i'm wondering if its a hendrickson emerger ya seeing ??????  i'm gonna have to give myself a early dismissal and do some fishing....

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey guys.. been MIA ... working on the castle.. will have pics soon, G-man had the camera in his jacket pocket and now the camera is his locker. It turned out awesome, we put the whole base (2' by 3') up on stainless steel legs so that we could build an "underground" dungeon and gauntlet. The castle itself has two floors, all surrounded by the outer wall. Walker's castle project was the first to get a PERFECT SCORE!! They are keeping it as an entry to the Harford Fair.

kool...i hope the g-man wins the whole she-bang....just might have to hit the fair this year....hey tfb is the old girl who thinks i'm cute still kicking... ;)2 :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
cool! i hope he wins! good confidence booster!

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 ;) your admirer has an appt tomorrow for a color touch up.....the closest fly I can find to the one I saw was/is a peacock caddis..I hope to get back out tomorrow nite, as I took a nite off to rest and relax and do housework..I'm starting to get the hang of this flyfishing stuff, just in time for the walleye opener this weekend....
decisions, decisions......they are restocking that creek this next Thursday, so I hope to get a couple more limits before I start on the deep water/lake fishing

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
sounds like a good plan to me.....wish i wasnt so busy ...

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I also checked with the guys at Catskill Flies and my fly tying guy down by Nicholson...neither has any idea what it might be.....gonna go back down tonite after work to have a look to see if there are any more fish left...and any of those bugs

• IceShanty Rookie
gonna go back down tonite after work

Guess that answers my question as to whether you'll be here for dinner ... good luck fishing, Baby  :-* I guess the boys and I can have fish sticks  :thumbsup:

BTW everyone thanks for the congrats on the castle project ... just the clarify.. the castle was Walker's project (the one with the fishing lure on his nose in the pics)... G-man used his camera to take pics of it before we turned it in. If he remembers to bring it home, we'll have pics posted tonite.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I gotta come home first ...forgot my pole... ::) and my waders.... :cookoo:

• IceShanty Rookie
forgot my pole...  and my waders....

well prepared as always  :roflmao:

Holehawg.. your cougar was in this morning.. she said to tell ya "hi"  :-*

• IceShanty Rookie
Here's the castle... G-man didn't take as many pics as I'd hoped (I was trying to make room in the car).. but here's a few. All of the rooms had a door that slid up (7 rooms + 2 "underground"), the middle pic shows the keep and the kitchen. The sides of the outer wall have a section that lifts out to see into the lower rooms. The last pic is of the "town" (hay thatched mini bird houses) and the well. We had a list of items it had to include, as per teacher instructions.

It earned a perfect score (along with his written essay as part of the grade) and is going to the local fair!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.