Author Topic: Need help...for a CO ice fishing visit  (Read 1881 times)

Offline mags459

• IceShanty Rookie
Need help...for a CO ice fishing visit
« on: Dec 18, 2009, 04:40 PM »
I will be visiting CO this January for an ice fishing trip. About all I know is that we will be camping for 3 nights near a lake and fishing for trout during the day.  Anyone have any tips for bait, rod types and jig types. I know we are up high enough that we have to use cut bait not minnows.  Or maybe that is normal for the state.  I know nothing about trout and am starting from scratch.  Thanks for any hints and tips. Can you fly with a flasher??

Shane
Shane

Offline westslope

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Need help...for a CO ice fishing visit
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2009, 05:13 PM »
What lake and what type of trout?
...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy.

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2009, 06:06 PM »
And where are you fishing? Bring your longjohns is all I can say - camping will be a bit chillee... :P

Offline mags459

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2009, 07:34 PM »
we are fishing Twin Lakes or Clear Creek Reservoir.  Will be bringing longjohns and more for the weather.  We will be staying in a 12x16 canvas tent with stove and have pop up shacks with heaters.  But if you guys fish like I do here in MN I like to get out and move around if the weather cooperates at all. Lake trout and or any other trout that we can get to bite on those lakes will be the targets.  Thanks again for any help.
Shane

Offline westslope

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2009, 08:21 PM »
There's definitely good laker action at Twin, alot in the 18" to 24" range with an occasional hog. I would start with a 3" tube jig or silver kasty tipped with sucker meat about 1' to 2' off the bottom and constantly slow jigged, target 25 to 50 fow and once you find them stay at that depth. Rainbow action at Clear Creek should be good also, I like 1-1/2" tube jigs w/ gulp maggot, mealie or nightcrawler anywhere in the column.

Offline mags459

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2009, 09:53 PM »
Thanks for the info, I caught a big laker (27lb) this summer on lake superior I would like to try it though the ice, sounds like we will be mostly fishing rainbows though.
Shane

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2009, 11:12 AM »
If you do happen to try out for lakers at Twin,you can drive on the ice.Not sure how thick it is though.Be aware that the ice can be thin around the small power plant do to the discharge from it.
There are lake maps for Twin,not sure about Clear Creek.If you are using a hut you may want to have a good anchoring system because the wind gusts can get over 40 mph.I live in about the middle of the state and it was -13 this morning,and January is usually the coldest month,but it's a dry cold! Good luck and have a safe trip.

Offline mags459

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2009, 02:02 PM »
Thanks again for the info we will be using pop up tents.

Do you guys have to deal with slush on the ice or is it cold enough that you have good ice and snow only??

A lot of slush on the lakes here in MN

Shane

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2009, 09:55 AM »
Right now at 11 Mile res. the few inches of slush where it was present is frozen over 12" of ice. I've been at Twin and Turquoise,which isn't too far north of Twin when they've had over a foot of
slush that would be frozen over only to soften up if it warms up enough.I've seen trucks fall through the top crust and get stuck at Twin.It makes for a tough day of walking when you punch through that stuff.Unless we get some warmer weather I don't think you'll have any issues with slush.I don't know how much snow is up there.

Offline westslope

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2009, 09:41 PM »
It depends on what the temps have been... We've been in a pretty good cold snap lately and all the lakes I've been on don't have any slush...

Offline mags459

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2009, 01:18 PM »
thanks for the info....I have been out here in MN and WI and lots of slush in area....makes moving around a lot tougher...and I am a flat lander so moving at altitude is going to be a treat anyway.... sounds like it is time to stock up on white tube jigs in all sizes. I just got some wood handles to make some rods for the trip.

Thanks again
Shane

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.