Author Topic: My favorite way to cook fish at the shack  (Read 4364 times)

Offline Sluggo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On the ice it's twice as nice!
My favorite way to cook fish at the shack
« on: Jan 02, 2004, 04:56 PM »
We've tried many things at the shack, portable bbq, butane stove, propane stove........

I now know that this is all un necessary.  This year I brought out a roll of tin foil, one pound of butter and a shaker of lemon pepper.

Pull fish from hole, wack on head with fire wood or on doorknob, fillet, lay fillets on tinfoil, season with lemon pepper, add butter then wrap it up and put it on the woodstove for 3-4 minutes per side.

Absolutly awesome!!
(and easy)

Lombardy, Ontario, Canada

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
Re:My favorite way to cook fish at the shack
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2004, 08:54 PM »
Yum! I've never really thought of cooking fish on the ice before, great idea! :D
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline brokeinNYS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re:My favorite way to cook fish at the shack
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2004, 06:52 PM »
We've tried many things at the shack, portable bbq, butane stove, propane stove........

I now know that this is all un necessary.  This year I brought out a roll of tin foil, one pound of butter and a shaker of lemon pepper.

Pull fish from hole, wack on head with fire wood or on doorknob, fillet, lay fillets on tinfoil, season with lemon pepper, add butter then wrap it up and put it on the woodstove for 3-4 minutes per side.

Absolutly awesome!!
(and easy)

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: My favorite way to cook fish at the shack
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2004, 10:34 AM »
I would love to do that. I think it might be illegal to clean and consume fish on the ice in Minnesota.

I know on waters that have special length restrictions you have to keep the fish intact.

Do they count in your daily bag limit if they are consumed?

Nothing like fresh fish though.

Offline Sluggo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On the ice it's twice as nice!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2004, 12:03 PM »
Wow that never crossed my mind.  I assume this is ok in Ontario. 

It would be easy to measure the fish even with the fillets off so I don't think that's a problem and I also believe that the fish caught and consumed would most definatly count against my daily limit. 

No big deal though, In my division of Ontario I am allowed to keep on a daily basis: perch x unlimited, black crappie x 30, walleye x 6 (minimum 13.8" in length) and northern pike x 6. 

That's a pile of fish that can be legally caught in 1 day.  I think I need more butter.

Lombardy, Ontario, Canada

canadarocks

« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2004, 06:39 PM »
It would be easy to measure the fish  with the fillets off so I don't think that's a problem.  I also believe that the fish caught and ate would most definatly count against my DAILY  limit.  There is nothing about eating fish in the reg what would you do if you want to have a shore lunch as long as you are with in your daily limit then you got nothing to hide

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2004, 10:36 PM »
Wow that never crossed my mind.  I assume this is ok in Ontario. 

It would be easy to measure the fish even with the fillets off so I don't think that's a problem and I also believe that the fish caught and consumed would most definatly count against my daily limit. 

No big deal though, In my division of Ontario I am allowed to keep on a daily basis: perch x unlimited, black crappie x 30, walleye x 6 (minimum 13.8" in length) and northern pike x 6. 

That's a pile of fish that can be legally caught in 1 day.  I think I need more butter.

I have a book for the regs for Ontario and they are confusing as he!!.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2004, 11:53 PM »
I think it would count against your "possession limit" ;).

Here in colorado it counts as your daily bag limit.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Paradice

« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2004, 12:26 PM »
regardless of where you eat them, that still sounds like a hell of a recipe!! 

Offline FISHGUY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2004, 10:08 PM »
i'm sure you could have shore lunch anywhere you want as long as you observe local open fire regs. as for daily limit you are allowed to have so much in possesion,meaning on your person,and at home, not whats in your belly! maybe are rules are a little more relaxed in manitoba???? ??? ;D

Offline Fish-A-Holic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Winnebago and Lovin it
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2004, 11:11 AM »
Here's one for you guys. Filet and skin fish. I prefer walleyes, perch or bluegills for this. Make a shallow square pan out of heavy duty tin foil and put on the grill. Melt one stick of butter on the foil. Dump a whole bag of ruffles potato chips on the foil and butter. Lay the fillets on top of the chips and cover lightly with another sheet of tin foil. cover is real loose. After the chips start to brown turn them and the fish. Don't salt anything as the chips have enough salt. I do pepper the heck out of it tho. When the fish and chips are just about done move them to one side and lay a few slices of rye bread in the butter. fry until toasted. You'll swear you are eating regular fried potatoes. Best darned fish fry I ever had and easy to make. Wash this down with a couple of Leinies reds and you think you died and went to heaven.
The Fish-A-Holic

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2004, 01:00 PM »
I was told if you fillet them(fish) right away, you can put them back in the hole and they will swim away!! No bones - NO limit!!
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.