Author Topic: Deep Fried Smelts & Chips  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Stroover

• IceShanty Rookie
Deep Fried Smelts & Chips
« on: Jan 12, 2015, 10:03 AM »
A couple times/season we bring the propane burner, a BIG pot, and a couple gallons of oil. We then proceed to fish for smelts and keep a couple of limits (60/person). We prefer the smaller ones for the following recipe (no bigger than 8", as you can eat them like French fries, bones and all). Then, with a pair of scissors we cut off the heads, then make a cut up the belly and clean them. Then, we proceed to batter them:

Batter recipe: -two or three cups of flour
                     - a generous amount of your favorite fish spice (we like Tony Chachere's Creole spice)

Put the batter in a plastic bag (like a grocery bag), then throw a bunch of smelts in the bag and give it a good shake. Then drop them in the hot oil until they float and are golden brown. Hopefully you remembered to bring something to dip them out of the oil, otherwise you can use your metal ice skimmer that you use for removing slush out of the hole. Immediately after, throw in the fries until they are cooked.

Chow down!

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
Re: Deep Fried Smelts & Chips
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2015, 03:55 PM »
Sounds great! I don't think we have a nearby smelt population or else I'd try it.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2015, 05:10 PM »
We just got done w/ a  big plate of tempura smelt & collard greens ! Gonna get some more tomorrow night  ;D.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2015, 10:36 PM »
drooling over the thought of smelt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.