Author Topic: shore lunch  (Read 1615 times)

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
shore lunch
« on: Dec 04, 2005, 09:09 PM »
alright guys im looking for a nice quick, kinda easy way to cook up some fish wether it be trout, salmon, or perch right on the ice. any special recipes or anything? thanx much
if your not fishing, your not living

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: shore lunch
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2005, 09:49 PM »
i like to foil pack fish

toss a cleaned fish on foil, rub it down with some olive oil
season with salt and pepper
stuff the fish with lemon and fresh herbs and wild rice and seal into a pouch
i use a toothpick or two to seal the fish
toss that baby on the grill  or over a woodstove, camp stove flame or fire pit coals and in a few minutes you have one heck of a tasty meal

I make these packs right after I clean the fish and label em. so when its time to hit the ice or the
adirondack brookie ponds I have nice little meals all ready to go

works great with more than fish too
have venison, potroast, birds, rabbits etc..
add mushrooms, onions, garlic etc etc   be creative

one good rule of thumb... go light on seasoning  why kill that distinct wild flavor
i always like to use fresh( or fresh frozen  :sick: ) if i can when cooking with wild fish and game they deserve better than
dry powdery old stale seasonings :P

heck of a shore lunch

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2005, 12:55 PM »
Nice call, Coldblum.  Fish en Papillote, to use the technical term.  I do the same with a few additions including thinly sliced yukon gold potatoes, roasted fennel, and garlic.  Off the top of my head, you could also try any of the following.  Capers, squash, cherry tomatoes, raisins, spinach, olives, carmelized onions, currants, carrots, brussel sprouts and more.  Thyme, parsley, sage, and dill are all classic herb matches for white flaky fish such as perch and walleye.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline Jimmy The Jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2005, 06:19 PM »
I love fresh perch/gills/crappies, on the ice, and one of my favorite ways to cook it may be kinda boring, But i like just taking the filets and putting them in a ziplock bag with seasoned flour and coat them, then pan fry them in a little oil or butter until they are golden brown. (delicious) :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.