The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: ION battery vs Milwaukee drill battery  (Read 4471 times)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
ION battery vs Milwaukee drill battery
« on: Jan 24, 2015, 09:44 PM »
I am considering either going to the ION auger in 8" or the Clam plate with a Milwaukee Fuel 18volt drill with a Nils 8" auger. I was wondering how well the drill batteries hold up to the cold. I know they say to keep the ION batteries warm to get the best battery life out of them. I was wondering if the same the drill batteries have them same issues. One would think they would need to be kept warm but I have never heard anybody talk about it on here.
 Thanks 

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
Re: ION battery vs Milwaukee drill battery
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2015, 11:14 PM »
To my knowledge the Red Lithium batteries are not as susceptible to the cold like others batteries.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2015, 04:12 PM »
That's right, the Milwaukee batts are stated to work fine down to 0F.  I don't even worry about trying to keep them warm.  When I take a spare (if I'm drilling for my buddies, too) I just put it in a zip lock bag and throw it in the bucket. 

Offline tjacob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2015, 06:04 PM »
I'm running a Milwaukee Fuel 18 and this past weekend I left it connected to my conversion Nils in the back of my truck on the ice. It unexpectedly got to -12 degrees over night and by morning the battery was pretty weak. I didn't try, but I doubt it would have completed a hole in the 30+ inches of ice. I have used it at various time throughout the day at 10 degrees with no noticeable effect without warming it up. 

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2015, 06:17 PM »
How big of a Nils are u using?

quote author=tjacob link=topic=308332.msg3227254#msg3227254 date=1422230683]
I'm running a Milwaukee Fuel 18 and this past weekend I left it connected to my conversion Nils in the back of my truck on the ice. It unexpectedly got to -12 degrees over night and by morning the battery was pretty weak. I didn't try, but I doubt it would have completed a hole in the 30+ inches of ice. I have used it at various time throughout the day at 10 degrees with no noticeable effect without warming it up.
[/quote]

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2015, 06:20 PM »
           The clam set-up no matter which drill you have I'm sure it was not intended for 25-30" of ice on a regular basis.  Ice up to 20" I would say it would handle, although number of holes will diminish with temp!  I have the Milwaukee Fuel 18 also, normally where I live its usually 8-12" ice, with a few exceptions(last year).  IMO if there is 30+inches ice go with a gas auger!  I think the majority of the clam plate owners know they will not handle that much ice, they might but with very few holes!!

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2015, 06:27 PM »
I like the clam plate concept but I want to fish an 8" hole I I like to drill lots of holes so I want to make sure it will hold up to it. We get 8-10" on a normal year last year 18". I just want to have the ability to drill 40-50 on a charge if I need to.

Offline colsac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2015, 06:28 PM »
I am also running the 8" nils conversion/orange with the Milwaukee Fuel w/handle.  No plate.  I keep my batteries in a insulated soft pac.  On real cold days I have put a hand warmer in with them.  I'm from south central Wisconsin and to date the thickest ice has been 14"-16".  Only drill about 20 - 30 holes a day, but as of yet plenty of battery to spare and no problem.  Hoping for thicker ice just to see what this thing will do.  Have talked to a few guys with the ION and they are just as impressed with there set ups, although I have never seen one in action.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2015, 06:32 PM »
IMO the clam plate was made for up to 6" augers, will it drill a 8" hole, sure it will, does it put more "strain" on the whole set-up, I would have to say yes.

Offline tjacob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:52 PM »
74redone, I'm running an Eight inch.

Normally I would have kept them in the house with me, but senor moment!!! At or above 15 degrees I've had no problem getting 39 holes on 12-14 inches of ice per battery. I run without the Clam plate or "T" handle.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:56 PM »
Tjacob that's a lot of ice!!

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:03 AM »
If you are looking to drill 8in holes, you really only should be considering a purpose built auger such as an ION, Icegator, or Strikemaster lith.

All batteries are susceptible to cold, from the one in your truck down to the one in your flashlight.  Any batteries that are being used in the cold, should be kept warm to the best of your ability when not in direct use.  Batteries + low temps = less current produced.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:29 AM »
Wow! That's really good. Are u using the orange and black blade Nils?
Pikeaddict I agree and will prob go that way I just really want to look at every option before I spend the money.

quote author=Gills-only link=topic=308332.msg3227706#msg3227706 date=1422237383]
Tjacob that's a lot of ice!!
[/quote]

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:07 AM »
The 18v drills are perfect for 6" augers.  They are marginal for 8" augers.  I'm not saying they don't work, they will just drill fewer holes at slower speed.  Compared to a 6" bit, it takes almost twice the work to drill with an 8" auger.

If you're set on using an 8" auger, you'll want 36 or 40v units.  At that price range, you're probably better off with an Ion or Strikemaster Lithium.

I use an 18v Li-ion hammer drill with a 6" K-drill.  Prior to the K-drill, I used a 6" Lazer with an Icemaster adaptor.  Both are great, but I wouldn't think of stepping up to an 8" bit.

And, I've never noticed the cold affecting the Li-ion batteries.  But, I usually don't fish if it's colder than -15 F.

Offline tjacob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:21 AM »
Yes. I'm running the orange and black Nils.
And yes I try to keep the batteries warm, at least to start with. When hole hopping the drill stays out in the elements. This is my second year on this unit and I'm still in the test period, so cannot say how durable it will be over the long haul. -15 below and 30 inches of ice are pretty common where I live so it will get a workout.
I way I see it, I need a drill and an auger, I now have the benefit of both at a cost cheaper than an auger alone. Hard to drill a hole in wood with an ION.

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2015, 07:13 PM »
I think each person will be different everyone has a very good set up you need to look at the options that are given here see what fits you budget and go with that

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:49 AM »
I would love to have a mil fuel, I hear so many good reviews.  I have been a proud dewalt drill owner for 20 years, and love them, but within the past few years I feel as if the quality of there bat packs have gone down.  I am speaking of their ni cad xrp 2.6 ah packs, still $100 for 2 batteries when only 1 battery out of my last purchase works anymore. Over the summers contracting the pack just crapped out.  I bought a compact 20v lithium ion with the 1.3ah packs last year and the same thing only one bat works (never beat this drill up).  With all that said, my next purchase was going to be a dewalt 9 series brushless with the 5ah bat, found some good deals, but with all the good reviews on the fuel I may have changed my mind.  The reason I have stuck with ni cad this long is that I have every 18v xrp tool there is, apparently dewalt cares nothing for their customers offering a quality lithium battery with internal voltage cut off pcb that fits 18v xrp tools.  If I am changing batteries anyway with the 20v xr I might as well go with the current top dog, and for now it seems like milwaukee has got it figured out.  Now if they would only redesign the t handles clamping mechanism, I have seen a few break the ears right off the aluminum what a crappy design.  Dewalts t handle is more like it 360 degrees.  With the gear reduction that I made this year I can drill 8" holes with absolutely no strain on the 18v xrp drill using an 8" mora.  I get 20 holes through 10+", it works great but I want a brushless lithium ion with some big batteries, more holes the better right.  Thanks for all the info on the fuel, I may be on team red shortly although I do love dewalt and it feels like I would be sleepin around, lol 

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:54 AM »
For what its worth, the strikemaster lithium batteries don't seem to be affected by the cold at all...

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2015, 06:37 AM »
Not sure why people think you need a 36v drill to use a 8" auger.

I'm getting 400"+ on a single 4ah battery with my 18v makita (1090 inlbs) and a 8" nils (the orange convertible one) and it cuts faster than anything else I've raced. I can cut 4 holes to 1 hole vs a 49cc strike master and 1.5 holes to 1 vs the nice 4 stroke strike master (both 8" auger bits). Its kinda funny to see peoples reaction when they see it in person for the first time.

As for the battery cold issue. Yep it affects it some I really only notice it once my battery is under 1/2 charge. But I have yet to kill two batteries in a single day of fishing.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2015, 06:45 AM »
Thanks guys for all the info! I broke down and bought the new Strike master Lithium Lazer auger from Reeds for $419.99 plus free shipping. Once I found it for that price it was a pretty easy decision.
Thanks!
Matt

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:53 AM »
Congrats, you got a heck of a deal.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2015, 08:51 AM »
Thanks! Its going to be here tomorrow so I'm planning on being on the ice Saturday morning.

Congrats, you got a heck of a deal.

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2015, 02:48 PM »
get an ion, 40 volt, cannot beat that auger, hands down BEST  you can get, read reviews.

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2015, 02:49 PM »
guess its to late, god luck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.