Author Topic: Newfound Lake 2/24 weekend  (Read 825 times)

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
Newfound Lake 2/24 weekend
« on: Feb 27, 2024, 08:37 AM »
A little late with a report from this past weekend.

Friday: Got cusk lines out around 3PM, it was absolutely gorgeous out. Started to jig for lakers around 4:30 and started marking fish immediately. I hooked two and lost both sadly. One of my friends did land one in the two pound range, lots of fish getting marked right up until dark.

Saturday: Easily a top five coldest/toughest day on the lake that I can remember. I managed to get my Otter shelter up but it was a struggle. My daughter had a good line "it looks like you're playing tug of war with your tent". Fishing was pretty slow for me, I marked one fish all day but I didn't move around like I normally do. I stayed in the shelter with the heater going. Some highlights from the group included a 3.46 pickerel on a tip up, a few lakers jigging and a nice mix of cusk in the 1.5-2 pound range. My daughter was excited to catch a 1.89 cusk on the cusk lines I made for her, so that was great. Me and a friend jigged in the shelter for about an hour at night. He landed a small cusk around 6:30 then we headed in for dinner. The moon on Saturday night was unreal, great stars too.

Sunday: Couldn't have been more of a contrast compared to Saturday. Sunny, with minimal wind and in the mid 30s. Cusk lines were productive again, I caught my PB cusk weighing in at 3.32 pounds. My daughter had two more on her lines so that was awesome. The eagles were out and we threw out a dead fish that one of them grabbed within second, the kids all loved it. We finished the day jigging for perch, no slabs but a good amount of action on the flasher.

I think that might conclude my season up on Newfound this year, maybe get one more trip in. Either way, it was another good season!
Marking anything?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
Re: Newfound Lake 2/24 weekend
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2024, 11:31 AM »
Great Story! Glad to hear you had success and enjoyed the eagle.

I went out on Thursday and came home Sunday. Saturday was windy for sure until early Sunday morning when it finally died down. Sunday was a fantastic day weatherwise. Ended the weekend with several lakers and a few cusk and then pulled the bobhouse back to Cummings beach for the week.

The eagle ate well this past weekend. Stopped by the houses getting fed at each which is always great to see.

Thanks for sharing your story and hope you can make it again before the season ends.

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2024, 12:02 PM »
Great Story! Glad to hear you had success and enjoyed the eagle.

I went out on Thursday and came home Sunday. Saturday was windy for sure until early Sunday morning when it finally died down. Sunday was a fantastic day weatherwise. Ended the weekend with several lakers and a few cusk and then pulled the bobhouse back to Cummings beach for the week.

The eagle ate well this past weekend. Stopped by the houses getting fed at each which is always great to see.

Thanks for sharing your story and hope you can make it again before the season ends.

The bookends of the weekend were awesome days to be out. We had two eagles in the cove all weekend, hanging up in the big pines then cruising the lake. They landed a few times pretty close by too.

Glad to hear you got on some fish. I think I saw your bobhouse out there when I was driving in on Friday after a pitstop at Smallmart for some hooks and a stuffed animal for my daughter  :roflmao:
Marking anything?

Offline Dipstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ( jigging Joe)
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2024, 06:17 PM »
Me and the girlfriend headed up 2/24 as well. Due to adult commitments we didn't arrive until about 5pm. Checked my ideal spot for camping, it was a definite no-go, but literally hundreds of little rocks throw on the ice at the access from people checking... :-\ spot 2, found good ice out to a decent contour I wanted to try, but the wind was cranking. The forecasted 10-20 was more like 30. Once arrived to target spot, drill a hole, still good ice. Me and lady proceed to set up tent before dark. Set first ice anchor, stand up to move, anchor bit flies out of drill and lands in the hole I had just drilled 20 feet away... After I get done grumbling, then laughing about the odds that would happen realize I have a spare bit in the gear bag.

Anyways, setup and had a great night for her first ice camping trip. We were cozy in the insulated shelter with heat, which was my biggest concern for her. We didn't set cusk lines, but in between eating food and playing cards I was able to jig up 3. She thinks those things are ugly and nasty.

Woke up early, set 2 tackle and we both jigged flashers until about 1 with nothing to show for it. Without the wind it was a gorgeous day and we were both more than happy to just be out there. Got to holler at some of the locals who I miss dearly. She also acquired her new nickname!

All in all a great trip, gotta love that lake!

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2024, 06:20 AM »
Me and the girlfriend headed up 2/24 as well. Due to adult commitments we didn't arrive until about 5pm. Checked my ideal spot for camping, it was a definite no-go, but literally hundreds of little rocks throw on the ice at the access from people checking... :-\ spot 2, found good ice out to a decent contour I wanted to try, but the wind was cranking. The forecasted 10-20 was more like 30. Once arrived to target spot, drill a hole, still good ice. Me and lady proceed to set up tent before dark. Set first ice anchor, stand up to move, anchor bit flies out of drill and lands in the hole I had just drilled 20 feet away... After I get done grumbling, then laughing about the odds that would happen realize I have a spare bit in the gear bag.

Anyways, setup and had a great night for her first ice camping trip. We were cozy in the insulated shelter with heat, which was my biggest concern for her. We didn't set cusk lines, but in between eating food and playing cards I was able to jig up 3. She thinks those things are ugly and nasty.

Woke up early, set 2 tackle and we both jigged flashers until about 1 with nothing to show for it. Without the wind it was a gorgeous day and we were both more than happy to just be out there. Got to holler at some of the locals who I miss dearly. She also acquired her new nickname!

All in all a great trip, gotta love that lake!

Nice report! Glad to hear you had a back up bit in your bag!
Marking anything?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2024, 11:51 AM »
Always great to hear your voice on the Lake Dipstick! Love the new handle for your lady too.......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.