Author Topic: "Fishing with a Fork"  (Read 1993 times)

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
"Fishing with a Fork"
« on: Mar 10, 2008, 08:06 PM »
My wife called me the other day to tell me she bought me a book about fishing. Of course I was excited, it's about fishing man!!! Then she chuckled and told me it was written by a teacher at her school, and she went on to tell me it is a book on how to save $ in the sport of fishing. Now that goes completely against my expertise of blowing my life's savings on fishing gear and gadgets...but i thanked her none the less. Well I got home ...and nature called so i went into my "office" and needed something to read , so i grabbed this book titled ''Fishing With a Fork''. A few paragraphs into the book and i was hooked (pun intended). I read the entire book that night. A major part of the book goes int how to use regular household items to make your own fishing lures. Some incredibly clever ideas in this book. So now i cant wait to start making some of these lures and give them a try. I know there are a lot of do it yourselfers here on IS and i believe any angler would enjoy this book. So I am posting a link to the book. Note that I stand nothing to gain by anybody else buying this book, i am only passing on a new tool to add to everyones arsenal of fishing tricks and toys.

http://www.fishingwithafork.com/

Snot Rocket
I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
Re: "Fishing with a Fork"
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2008, 08:32 PM »
thanx for the info!! anything in there on musky lures?? those are the biggest thing i get snag fright about

Offline OZZY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2008, 08:42 PM »
I made a lure out of a heineken cap that I squished in half, put a treble hook on it and a hole in the fron for a swivel, the ribs on the cap are upright, I never tried it yet but seems like it would have good action, kind of looks like a hump backed waxworm  ;D How have you been Snot Rocket? Havent seen you out there, fished with your bro last weekend, take it easy and goodluck to you!

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2008, 08:54 PM »
hey OZZY , whats up man? Actually one of the lures in the book is made from a bottle cap. I'm going out w my bro tomorrow. sending you a PM.

Snot Rocket

icewagon

« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2008, 10:53 PM »
I wonder if you start using the wife's good flat ware and other household items that cost way more than a fishing lure if she mite change her mind . :whistle:

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2008, 11:27 PM »
cool! now i know what to ask for for my birthday!

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2008, 09:24 AM »
The chapters titled "Three ways to catch fish using beer" and "Fishing naked" look interesting.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2008, 09:33 AM »
And dangerous when combined.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline daffydone

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just gotta find some ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2008, 03:39 PM »
I had a friend that was fishing one day and doing well, there was an amish kid fishing down the way, the amish kid asked my buddie what he was using, and my buddie told him he was using a spoon.
so about two weeks later, my buddie ran into the same amish kid at this lake, and saw him casting a lure that looked strange, so he went over to investigate and found the kid using a kitchen spoon that he took from his house and cut the handle off, drilled some holes and added a treble hook. my buddie could have been pulling my leg, but I still thought that story was funny.
if your not walking on water, then you're not icefishing!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2008, 03:57 PM »
We made those in shop class when I was a kid.
 Back when they had drill presses and not computers, before it was "Industrial technology"
They always produced fish too.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2008, 03:59 PM »
Fishing spoons were actually invented after someone noticed how a eating spoon fluttered when it was dropped in water.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2008, 04:07 PM »
I make topwater pike lures out of aluminum cigar tubes.  ;D

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2008, 02:11 PM »
Oh great!!! Now you started it.  Do we have to go through the long debate about the dangers of nicotine in the water.  Do you want those fish to get gill cancer for crying out loud!!!!    ;D

Offline InSearchOfPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2008, 07:01 PM »
...and nature called so i went into my "office" and needed something to read , so i grabbed this book titled ''Fishing With a Fork''. A few paragraphs into the book and i was hooked (pun intended). I read the entire book that night.

I tried that once, but after reading an entire book, my legs fell asleep and my cheeks were permanantly dented by the toilet seat....

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2008, 08:02 PM »
I tried that once, but after reading an entire book, my legs fell asleep and my cheeks were permanantly dented by the toilet seat....

dude!!! I think I broke a rib laughing so hard. My dog is looking at me weird cause i'm laughing so hard.

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2008, 08:04 PM »
I had a friend that was fishing one day and doing well, there was an amish kid fishing down the way, the amish kid asked my buddie what he was using, and my buddie told him he was using a spoon.
so about two weeks later, my buddie ran into the same amish kid at this lake, and saw him casting a lure that looked strange, so he went over to investigate and found the kid using a kitchen spoon that he took from his house and cut the handle off, drilled some holes and added a treble hook. my buddie could have been pulling my leg, but I still thought that story was funny.

one of the things in the book show how to make several types of lures from a spoon as well as a house hold fork, hence the title.

Snot Rocket

Offline Crappie Queen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2008, 09:56 AM »
i got a cork , now me and dad (snot rocket) are going to try to make a lure shown in the book  ;D

Crappie Queen....All Hail the Queen  :bow: :bow: :bow:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.