Author Topic: Off Season Ice-Gear Projects  (Read 8729 times)

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
Off Season Ice-Gear Projects
« on: Mar 01, 2008, 08:07 PM »
Anyone have any off season Ice gear projects......?

This summer I'll be hitting the garage sale's hard trying to find a nice and cheap, fish finder/flasher, underwater camera, old kids downhill ski's to repair my sled -- OR -- an old pair of water skis, and whatever other goodies I can find.  I might make up another prototype hauling sled too. Otherwise, I'm open to stealing any of your great Ideas.  ;D ;D ;D

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Off Season Ice-Gear Projects
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2008, 08:26 PM »
The only thing right now that will definetly get done is a sled with runners to carry my jet sled or fishtrap pro, which ever one I decide to use that day.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2008, 08:37 PM »
Maybe not exactly Ice-gear but,Just have to build a permanent shack for next year  ;D.......of course,then I need a 4WD truck,just so I can get out to it if/when the snow gets deep.  :unsure:

Offline piker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy,fishy
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2008, 08:41 PM »
As soon as it's not safe to be on ice anymore, will be getting boat ready to head to mud bay for pike , walleye, bass. Turkey hunting in may, but that only lasts 2 days for me ,fill tags done. back to fishing.been thinking about getting a dog sled and couple pulling dogs for ice fishing next year. :icefish:
If your not fishing, your not living.....

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2008, 09:08 PM »
Maybe not exactly Ice-gear but,Just have to build a permanent shack for next year  ;D.......of course,then I need a 4WD truck,just so I can get out to it if/when the snow gets deep.  :unsure:

I saw a pretty interesting...cheap... hard shanty in the paper the other day.   guy took an overseas crate used for shipping furnature and stuff, and he modified it to be a shanty.  put a window in it any everything,  totally looked like one from grumpy old men.  think he spent about $50 total on the thing. 

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2008, 09:17 PM »
im also putting some skiis onto my sled

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2008, 09:21 PM »
I got permission for access to a private lake next winter, so I plan to put a hardside out there. I am not much of a non-portable fisherman, but I figure it would be easier with the kids. If I take my kids out in the portable, they get cold very quickly. We are going to build a 7X10 on skids, I will post pics as we go.

Offline oneman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2008, 11:40 PM »
Am going to make some hole covers for my tipups, actually considering trying to sell them, I know there are some out on the market already, but I'm sure they are not of the quality I can make myself for about the same price. Any coments on this idea would be appreciated. They would be good ones at a good price. thanks
There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2008, 12:18 AM »
Yes  I do I got to get a tube  of sillacone  & silliacone my 1 man clam  shanty
 on the bottem of my clam   the floor has a few little holes in it  I might have  stepped real hard on it   & my cleats  went thru the floor  or whatever   because when its dragged  behind a atv  or snowmobile  it gets snow in there  just like a 
cone  with no juice in it :-[ :-\ :-\
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline boblee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2008, 12:37 AM »
im making either a 6x12 or a 6x14 iceshack that cranksdown just like an ice castle

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2008, 03:11 AM »
I'm going to build the "Ice Tractor" this summer. I'll be looking for a good size garden tractor to play with. My idea is to replace the tractor tires with Motorcycle wheels. I think some aggressive knobby tires with studs will go through deep snow and slush better than fat atv tires. I don't need to go 50mph to get where I'm going.

I got this idea from our friend Retired ECO in NY. He's been using a garden tractor for years. I believe he has skis on the front end. No need for license, helmets, insurances etc. lighter than an atv or sled and it should end up being smaller so it will be easier to haul.

One thing is for sure...gotta be a John Deer....love that green! (unless I find something red that's really cheap)

RG

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Wilsonlaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2008, 07:06 AM »
Building a new shack for smelting, still planing but the base is going to be 2" angle iron and a canvas exterior.

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2008, 07:24 AM »
RG.... Ya got me thinkin....I'm getting old enough & with bad knees getting worse with ARA, The idea sounds pretty good. I was thinking about getting a Quad, but the economy is eating up my funds. Since I already have a MTD lawn tractor that was going to be retired from lawn mowing this year. I may  have a bit of a head start on a project like this Ice Tractor idea. ;)

Maybe Retired ECO, would be willing to share a photo?
;)
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2008, 07:48 AM »
I got this idea from our friend Retired ECO in NY. He's been using a garden tractor for years. I believe he has skis on the front end. No need for license, helmets, insurances etc. lighter than an atv or sled and it should end up being smaller so it will be easier to haul.

Now that you said something and have been using your brain to be inventive, someone will figure out a way to Tax it, and make you license and insure it.  ;D

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2008, 08:26 AM »
Shhhhhh....
;)
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline d3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pay attention as the kids are always watching
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2008, 09:59 AM »
The tractor idea has been in my mind for 2 years just trying to figure out the weight thing and the auxiliary to run electronics.  There was a post that was a view of a ice sled that was run by a jiffy power head and when the guy got there he was able to discconnect it add it to his auger.  I will definitely be researching that.  I am 33 and can not get out the way I use to because I have a illness that really puts me down from over exerting my self.  If you have your health be grateful it is PRICELESS.  Take it from somebody who use to drag deer  a mile go for 4 or 5 mile hunts, stay up with two hours of sleep for 48 hours etc.  You know the deal and then all of a sudden the carpet is out from under your feet.  Trust me I have alot of time to think when I am confined to a recliner.  Other [projects will be cleaning out my clam real good it smells like low tide, modify the clam to accommodate lights small tables etc, modify jet sled,  make a smaller sled for short trips, and many many more little projects.  I will post some pictures of inventions as I go.  Sorry so long I just needed to get it out.  I have not been out in a couple days and I got the itch to go BAD BAD>

D3

Offline comicdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2008, 10:01 AM »
Lawn tractor idea is really good. Wonder how difficult the conversion would be and how effective. Will the machine make it over 8 to 10 inches of snow covered ice? Sounds like a HUGE money saver.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2008, 11:24 AM »
I'm going to build the "Ice Tractor" this summer. I'll be looking for a good size garden tractor to play with. My idea is to replace the tractor tires with Motorcycle wheels. I think some aggressive knobby tires with studs will go through deep snow and slush better than fat atv tires. I don't need to go 50mph to get where I'm going.

RG

Skinny wheels are the ticket in the snow. I think that using "fat" enduro style motorcycle tires would be about the best option available.

The only problem would be weight distribution. Tires that skinny would cut through the snow, but they would also break through into frozen slush pockets very easily.

I will personally stick with my ATV ;)

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2008, 12:44 PM »
 Gonna try to come up with a nice console for my Fish Trap Guide, also a light weight permanent rack for transporting my power auger in the Guide that wont be in the way. Oh, and maybe ski's.

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2008, 01:17 PM »
as someone mentioned earlier, i plan on hitting up the yard sales for a used gas auger...not that i actually need it or anything but jsut purely out of spite, i want to get one..
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline gillkiller1125

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ahhhh.......... Ice
« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2008, 04:46 PM »
Going to hit garage sales for old open water rods to make ice-rods with. Also look for a vexilar/underwater camera.
Kids who hunt, fish, and trap, don't mug little old ladies.
Good luck, and tight lines to all.
Official Stomach of the MIRC

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2008, 04:53 PM »
Makin tip downs,  Make a hard side for home Ice, Build some thing that will work better than a sl-----
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 02, 2008, 04:56 PM »
Modify my sled to make it even easier to drag and hold more gear.  Make rod holders for the little two-man clam 2000. I was thinkin about using a lightweight thick wire to wrap around the poles to keep the rods out of the way but easier to get to.  Also planning on replacing all the spools on my tip ups (they have been giving me headaches).  Sanding, painting, and poly on the tip ups to keep some of the beat up ones in workable condition.
'Its either me or ice fishing' she says... i still have my jiffy

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #23 on: Mar 02, 2008, 06:23 PM »
Water Ski's work better then snowski's for me because they have more surface area.  Im gonna attach cup holders, and rod holders to my portable, attach a rod holder to my flasher box (genz pack), and was thinking about attaching rod holders to the outside of my bucket so i can store more inside of them! i have seen lots of neat gear totes with milk crates, and buckets.  Usually spend my summer days trolling for walleye though

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Mar 02, 2008, 06:43 PM »
I just bought a fish trap voyager about 2 hrs ago, my project is to put it together!!!! ;D

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #25 on: Mar 03, 2008, 09:58 AM »

Why wouldn't something similar work with a fixed engine instead of just using the auger motor... Its a pain in the butt to take the blade on and off all the time. once in a while I don't mind, but I think it would get old if you had to do it often.  So... What about just fixing an old lawnmower engine back there, and weld up something like a go-cart to tow your sled. I know that would work great for around here,  you could probably even construct something that worked similarly to the Wilcraft...  Take a Jet Seld, and mount it on as the body... if you broke through, I'd imagine it would still float. Probably could to the whole thing for less then $100.

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 03, 2008, 03:00 PM »
Hmm... the tractor talk gave me an idea.  ;D

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline gillkiller1125

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ahhhh.......... Ice
« Reply #27 on: Mar 03, 2008, 04:11 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is genius right there folks!!!!!
Kids who hunt, fish, and trap, don't mug little old ladies.
Good luck, and tight lines to all.
Official Stomach of the MIRC

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #28 on: Mar 03, 2008, 04:30 PM »
After assessing the season again, I've decided to make another sled over the off season.  The sled I made for this season is great, but really only when there is no snow on the ice.  For snowy lake days, I think I'll make something super light w/ maybe 3 or 4 skis under.  and something that will just hold my poles and auger,  no frills on snow days, as I'm on foot, walking a mile or two in snow is hard enough w/out towing a ton of luxuries. total weight of sled plus poles should come in around 20-30lbs. add the auger for an extra 10 lbs or so.  spread that over 4 kids skis and it should float on the snow real nice. 

And as for the tractor auger... I don't care who ya are, that there is funny.

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 03, 2008, 04:33 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)
talk about down pressure..... ;) ;) ;) mr.holehawg could drill thousands of holes with that baby.....how much $$$$$$$ we talking.... ;) ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.