Author Topic: Homemade ice sleds  (Read 11407 times)

Offline diehard

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Homemade ice sleds
« Reply #30 on: Feb 26, 2008, 05:45 PM »
Skis are a big plus in almost all snow/ice (and even mud) conditions. I have a homemade sled that uses old skis. I built it in 1991 and have used it very hard.  It's been repaired a bunch of times, and it certainly doesn't look like much, but  it is essentially the same unpainted plywood and ski sled that I put together in my back yard 16.5 years ago. I use it every time I go out on the ice, which some years is quite often. Maybe tomorrow I can get a pic posted of the old warrior.

Offline CaughtYa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was ICE fishin'
« Reply #31 on: Feb 26, 2008, 05:57 PM »
icenewbie,
              I'm telling you I have a sled that I built myself out of wood.  I figured years ago that I needed one...so....I built it.  Well that sled now sits in my cellar and houses all my tip ups from one season to the next.  It has all my tip ups a few pots, pans, utensils, a lantern...etc., but it never comes out on the ice anymore.  You know why?  Because they built the Jet Sled!  That sled slides beautifully, its low to the ground so it doesn't tip over... and I can put everything I need for a day in it.  You can drill holes in the sides and use bungy cords to keep everything contained.  You can buy a cover that goes over the top of everything if the weather turns foul.  Take my word for it....in the amount of time it will take you to build a wooden sled, the wood, screws ...etc.  Just go out and buy yourself the medium size Jet sled....you won't regret it. 
[/quo

I had the same experience as whitetail. Built a wooden sled that now stays at home in the winter and houses my gear in the summer. Buy a jet sled!

The great thing about winter is it ferrets out the wimps!

Offline diehard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 26, 2008, 06:17 PM »
Well I went to the garage and snapped a picture right away.  here it is...crude enough, but unlike a Jet sled (whcih my buddy uses) i can sit on it, cook on it and it keeps my spare gear and clothes out of the weather. My 2 cents.

Here she is loaded and ready.

The key is to make it high enough (but not too high) and wide enough for balance.  This one has never tipped over, even when I walk a mile or so down hilly snowmobile  trails to get to remote ponds. It is not likely to withstand being towed by a snowmobile, especially these days,  but then agian I don't have one.

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 26, 2008, 07:20 PM »

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Mar 14, 2008, 08:17 PM »
Well, I'd like to construct my own custom ice sled. Do you think an old wooden toboggan could be used as a base? Or would it be too heavy and bulky? I'd probably use an old kid's wooden toboggan. It's around 4 feet long or so. I've seen some homemade sleds made from old skis, but I don't have any of those laying around. The toboggan I've got. Thanks, everyone for a great site.
Here is the sled I made using a 8' toboggan and use it to pull my Clam Sleeper. You can pull in by hand or by a wheeler. Works Great and was easy to build

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Mar 15, 2008, 09:30 AM »
spend the bucks  get an otter sled  biggest you can afford  or at least the magnum   get some hyfax   your done for life   no replacement necessary!  I have 3   2 magnums  and a small  best investment to date  (except the icegator)   1 Magnum  holds the otter village   2nd hauls my stuff I want on the lake  when traveling they nestle together   the small   is now for my kid to play with!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #36 on: Mar 19, 2008, 10:02 AM »
mine. ;D

T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline hauler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Mar 19, 2008, 10:14 AM »
Those looking for cheap or old skiis , try your local ski resort. They usually just throw away the damaged or out of date rentals. Last year I picked up  6 old snow boards. I used snowboards because I felt it woul assist in keeping the sled on top of the snow due to the wider base compared to skiis....I dont use it much anymore since I got a clam flip over shanty , but it did a great job when I did.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #38 on: Mar 19, 2008, 10:25 AM »
mine. ;D
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
[/quot 
It needs flames on the sides and graphics
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #39 on: Mar 19, 2008, 10:55 AM »
i need to find someone to paint an american flag on the sides. ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.