Author Topic: Homemade ice sleds  (Read 11408 times)

Offline icenewbie

• IceShanty Rookie
Homemade ice sleds
« on: Feb 21, 2008, 05:49 PM »
Well, I'd like to construct my own custom ice sled. Do you think an old wooden toboggan could be used as a base? Or would it be too heavy and bulky? I'd probably use an old kid's wooden toboggan. It's around 4 feet long or so. I've seen some homemade sleds made from old skis, but I don't have any of those laying around. The toboggan I've got. Thanks, everyone for a great site.

Offline johnnywalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
  • some days u r the dog,others the hydrant
Re: Homemade ice sleds
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2008, 07:06 PM »
go to your local salvation army store and buy a pair skis for 5$$$ the weight you save will be huge
salmon;the other pink meat

Offline snohiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just give me water hard or not and ill be happy
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2008, 07:46 PM »
the problem your going to have is the sled is to wide and  going to weigh to much loaded  they  drag like a snowplow in the soft Snow I'm telling you this from my own experience i try to drag my fish trap guide and it s##ks I'm building a fish box on narrow skis with a rack for the fishtrap for when the snow is to deep   just my 2cents so take Johnny's advice got get some cheap skis

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2008, 08:20 PM »
icenewbie,
              I'm telling you I have a sled that I built myself out of wood.  I figured years ago that I needed one...so....I built it.  Well that sled now sits in my cellar and houses all my tip ups from one season to the next.  It has all my tip ups a few pots, pans, utensils, a lantern...etc., but it never comes out on the ice anymore.  You know why?  Because they built the Jet Sled!  That sled slides beautifully, its low to the ground so it doesn't tip over... and I can put everything I need for a day in it.  You can drill holes in the sides and use bungy cords to keep everything contained.  You can buy a cover that goes over the top of everything if the weather turns foul.  Take my word for it....in the amount of time it will take you to build a wooden sled, the wood, screws ...etc.  Just go out and buy yourself the medium size Jet sled....you won't regret it. 
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2008, 08:28 PM »
I built a sled a few years ago the best thing I did was but skis on it and gave it about 10" of ground clearance.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2008, 08:31 PM »
I think pimpin your jet sled would count also as home made. I use plastic tulip shipping crates and they sit right on top of the rails of my jet sled bungeed in so they don't move.

I have seen a guy take two Jet sleds and hinge them together so they fold up like a clam.  
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2008, 09:57 PM »
thinking of making my own out of polyester and epoxy. might even turn it into a flip over.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2008, 10:07 PM »
i built mine out of an old pallet and made a frame of 1 x 3 furring strips. then lined the inside with 1/2 inch foam insulation and 1/8 inch paneling on the outside.    mounted it up on skis..also built a flip top for it so it doubles as a shanty ( like a fish trap design)  I have pics coming soon..

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2008, 11:42 PM »
This is what I use, set my portable on top and my minnow bucket on the back. Pulls like the cats meow.

http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2008, 03:10 AM »
This is what I use, set my portable on top and my minnow bucket on the back. Pulls like the cats meow.

I like the wheels on the skis.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline wile.e.1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2008, 03:27 AM »
heres something I made while waiting for ice this year, It slides great on ice or snow.....NOT in parking lots. The wheels are a great idea. I think I'm gonna try out a jet sled, this box is a bit heavy. It is nice to bring anything you want though

Remember those that served..All gave some...Some gave All

Offline hardwater Rick

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE SMALL ONES BACK!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2008, 05:12 AM »
Anyone put skis on your fish trap pro?  I have some old skis and was thinking about
it   if so can you post a pic  thanks Rick

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2008, 10:13 AM »
The wheels are lawn mower tires, mounted 1/4 inch below the ski's, used carrige bolts double nutted so they dont move in or out. It help's slide across the parking lots and also on glare ice.

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2008, 10:20 AM »
Anyone put skis on your fish trap pro?  I have some old skis and was thinking about
it   if so can you post a pic  thanks Rick

If I was going to do it I would use carrige bolts and also maybe a 1 by 3 between the ski's and the sled for ground clearence to help it so it doesn't drag snow.

Offline powderburns

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2008, 10:31 AM »
Wnen i built my sled (no pic's), I used an old pair of water ski's for runners. Works great, pulls easy. I made the width the same as my snomobile as I use it alot up here. with a different hitch (rope) it can be pulled by hand easily. Summer time garage sales are a good place to find water ski's.

Offline duramaxdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2008, 11:10 AM »

got room for the shanty underneath, not sure of layout on top yet. need bait bucket rod holders and so on.

Offline Captain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2008, 11:32 AM »
icenewbie,
              I'm telling you I have a sled that I built myself out of wood.  I figured years ago that I needed one...so....I built it.  Well that sled now sits in my cellar and houses all my tip ups from one season to the next.  It has all my tip ups a few pots, pans, utensils, a lantern...etc., but it never comes out on the ice anymore.  You know why?  Because they built the Jet Sled!  That sled slides beautifully, its low to the ground so it doesn't tip over... and I can put everything I need for a day in it.  You can drill holes in the sides and use bungy cords to keep everything contained.  You can buy a cover that goes over the top of everything if the weather turns foul.  Take my word for it....in the amount of time it will take you to build a wooden sled, the wood, screws ...etc.  Just go out and buy yourself the medium size Jet sled....you won't regret it. 
What is a Jet Sled?  Got pictures?

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2008, 02:42 PM »
I think a Jet sled is a brand of hard plastic sled with deep walls to haul a bunch of loose Ice gear. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2008, 02:51 PM »
What is a Jet Sled?  Got pictures?
Standard issue Jet sled capable of hauling a lot more gear than a kids red plastic jobbie
It holds my power auger w/no problem in addition to all the other stuff

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline esoxmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Sleep & Breath Pike
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2008, 03:00 PM »
Deffinately go with the toboggan, the skis are a pain in the a$$ when your in the snow, the toboggan will float nicely right on top, and when your on ice you shouldn't even feel it when you're pulling it. ;)
~Matt~

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2008, 11:21 AM »
I use something similar to a jet sled.  It's much lower and a not quite as wide.  It's 5 feet long and when empty, weighs maybe 1 lb.  It's very easy to pull when fully loaded.  However, when going downhill, I turn it around and let it slide backwards in front of me otherwise, it keeps running into the back of my heels.

I've often used it behind my snowmobile but when it comes time to brake, I need to do that slowly.  It would be easy to install a solid hitch for snowmobiling.  I drilled some holes along the sides that flange outward so that I can hook elastic cords.

The nice thing is that it only costs 14 dollars.

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 26, 2008, 01:59 PM »
Nice Duramaxman.  I was thinking of building something very similar to that but ran out of time before the ice hit.  I will do it this summer.  How does the PVC pipe work for you?  Is it sturdy?  Looks a lot lighter than wood

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline martenpine

• IceShanty Rookie
  • when there is shot in the air there is hope
« Reply #22 on: Feb 26, 2008, 02:47 PM »

Jet sled works fine I build an aluminim tongue that bolts to the sled for hauling with a snowmachine.

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2008, 02:56 PM »
Nice Duramaxman.  I was thinking of building something very similar to that but ran out of time before the ice hit.  I will do it this summer.  How does the PVC pipe work for you?  Is it sturdy?  Looks a lot lighter than wood
In cold weather.. (neg temps)  how well will the PVC hold up. I dont' know that I've had much experience with that. PVC looks nice for the frame, but I still might try and find an old pair of skis for the bases. they should hold up to more abuse when dragging across rough ice.

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 26, 2008, 03:03 PM »
I got an old pair of skis I bought just for that purpose.  Metal conduit might be a better option for our MT winters.  Anyone know of a good way to bend that stuff???

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #25 on: Feb 26, 2008, 03:13 PM »
I would think that you would have to bend it around a fairly big fixed object, as smaller objects will cause it to pinch and not bend evenly. I'd try to setup a jig with sawn to the correct diameter wood posts attached to a big piec of plywood? :blink:

Offline taildancer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish-o-haulic
« Reply #26 on: Feb 26, 2008, 03:21 PM »
In cold weather.. (neg temps)  how well will the PVC hold up. I dont' know that I've had much experience with that. PVC looks nice for the frame, but I still might try and find an old pair of skis for the bases. they should hold up to more abuse when dragging across rough ice.

Hey guys I made one of these also you definitely want the skis on the bottom or you will eventually break the pvc frame.

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #27 on: Feb 26, 2008, 04:25 PM »
I got an old pair of skis I bought just for that purpose.  Metal conduit might be a better option for our MT winters.  Anyone know of a good way to bend that stuff???

Ummm... how about a conduit bender ?

Here is a good how to site http://www.mikeholt.com/documents/freestuff/BendingRoundRaceways.pdf

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 26, 2008, 04:43 PM »
Ummm... how about a conduit bender ?

Great! I never claimed to have any industrial skills. I'm an accountant!

Offline lcrep2000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 26, 2008, 05:38 PM »
I bolted runners on my fish trap, the plastic will wear through very easily, also heavy use over bear ice is hard on it as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.