Author Topic: Marmish Rods  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
Marmish Rods
« on: Feb 20, 2008, 03:19 PM »
I was wonder what all the hype is about the marmish rods. Why do they look so wierd? how do they work? what makes them so special? I watched the pike video on there site and the guy put the rod in the pikes mouth to pull him outta the hole. how does this whole fishing system work?

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Marmish Rods
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2008, 03:23 PM »
yeah i dont really like it, i bought 2 on ebay im just going to put em back on ebay early next ice fishing year so i can get more money
Another crappie.........yay!

Offline tarantula

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2008, 03:32 PM »
My brother in law got one...I told him it was "cute"
Believe it or not he does catch fish with it.

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2008, 05:38 PM »
I was a little skeptical myself, but I bought one this season.

I quite honestly catch more fish on this system than any other rod/reel combo I have.  They work great for panfish and  are super sensitive.

You can buy a similar spring bobber add-one for normal rods, I'm sure it would work just as well..cheaper too!!

shawno

DRR324

« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2008, 12:37 PM »
I am just looking at the rod and thinking- theres no way that can work better than my normal 20" ice rods, with spinning reels.  Fishing 15-20 fow with a 9" rod- wouldn't think it could handle the crappies we are catching.  The site says you have to hand line to land a fish, no using the "reel" as a reel.  It looks fine for saginaw bay perch fishing in 4 fow- but other than that situation- I can't see them working near as well as what I have now.

I'll have to check out the video- but am a very skeptical person when it comes to my fishing, hunting, or golfing equipment.....I'll reply again if I am impressed..

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2008, 12:51 PM »
i saw guys using them last weekend. they caught just as many on jigging rods.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline rileyross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "damn i forgot the bait"
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2008, 05:10 PM »
Yeah it seems pretty weird but hey if ur on the fish ur on the fish no matter what the rod................... ...................... .................7 1/2 days.......
"Just thinkin about jiggin"

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2008, 05:14 PM »
They are probably one of the most under used fishing tools on the market. ive personally got 3 and i love them. i fish anywhere from 4 to 30 feet of water with them. instead of just yarding in panfish you just pile the line up and then send it back down when your done. the tips are ultra sensitive. ive had a hard time feeling fish and detecting bites with ice rods but the tip on the marmish totally takes the guess work out of it. also with its springbobber tip you can impart an excellent action on the lure that would be utterly impossible with a rod. a fine vibrating in place is what you get with them and its REALLY hard to duplicate with a rod. nothing beats them for sensitivity and they are durable as heck too. im goin on 4 years with my original one and its still kickin tail. if you fish with a camera its not totally necessary but you will catch more light biting fish with a marmish.

Offline polarfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE ICE BABY
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2008, 06:00 PM »
i was jigging perch from 25 fow and i just would put the line in a pile no biggie. when i show up most guy kinda smerk at me and laugh until 5 minutes later when i have doubled their catch of (say 20) when they have been sittin their for and hour.  ;D ;D

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2008, 06:14 PM »
I have seen guys fish with a stick and string and catch fish to. guess I will pass on the marmish 

DRR324

« Reply #10 on: Feb 29, 2008, 12:49 PM »
Doesn't the line get stuck on every ice chip hanging around the hole??  I've got spring bobbers wrapped on my rods and can't see any advantage with this rod.  Certainly not knocking them or the guys who use them- to each our own ;)

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 29, 2008, 04:51 PM »
what i usually do after i drill my holes is just shovel all the ice away from the hole for about 2 feet around it. after a bit it freezes and it becomes hard. also the ice is darkened when you take the snow away ( it just looks black) and the line shows up better on that. sometimes the line gets stuck on ice chips but when it does its not that bad to get it back down. i get my line stuck on ice chips when i use my ice rods to so i guess it goes both ways. im thinking about putting a spring bobber from my marmishes on a rod for a super sensitive rod

Offline travisj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2008, 01:57 AM »
For small fish, you can't beat the marmish rod. Last weekend I went out with three other people, we were all fishing in the same area, and same depth of water. In the first couple hours I had pulled in at least 25 perch using the marmish rod, the other three combined pulled in four using Normark jigging rods with the same bait and similar hooks. The fish were biting, and stealing their bait, but the rods simply were not sensitive enough and they wouldn't even realize the fish were there. To remove all doubt I went over to the same hole one guy was using (he was the only one who hadn't caught anything) and we had our lines in side by side and I pulled out a couple in the first couple of minutes being there. So I let him use my marmish rod for a the next hour or so while I went back to my hole and used a spinning rod/reel and only landed another two. I have no doubt that the Marmish rods work on detecting small bites much better than a regular rod.
The only thing that I really dislike is fishing in 20+ feet of water and having to hand bomb the line, frequently I get it tangled. One thing that I don't neccessarily dislike, but I tend to catch some really fricken tiny fish sometimes. I often catch ones that are in the 2" range! Better than nothing I guess, or having a tiny one come and steal your maggots and not even realize it.
Just a little input I guess.

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2008, 01:00 PM »
everyone sais that it is the marmish "ROD" that detects the bites- but its really the spring bobber- what if you put the spring bobber on a regular rod?
Another crappie.........yay!

Offline travisj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2008, 01:18 PM »
I think the small, lightweight rod has a part in it, though it mainly is the bobber and spring. I'm sure if you are creative you could attach it to most rods and it will work just fine.

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2008, 04:31 PM »
you can and i have. you can buy spare spring bobber tips and then just attatch the spring bobber onto it. its not as good as it is on the marmish because it has a little different jigging action and the way the line feeds on is a little different but its still better than straight feel.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 14, 2008, 06:06 PM »
Sensitive,spring,light weight,are the plus,the negetives,sit on top of your hole,hand over hand old school stuff,tangle line ,hanging up on ice chips,and bad for fishing deep water,I'll take my UL St. Croix and UL spinning reels any day.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 14, 2008, 10:52 PM »
i just buy the jigs, they work great for mountain trout. the rods are a little too sensitive for my taste, if I'm gonna be that way I'll just as well tie the line to my ear.

Offline travisj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2008, 07:01 PM »
i just buy the jigs, they work great for mountain trout. the rods are a little too sensitive for my taste, if I'm gonna be that way I'll just as well tie the line to my ear.
I wonder if anyone has ever tried that!  ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.