Author Topic: Deep snow towing  (Read 3077 times)

Offline chrism

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Deep snow towing
« on: Dec 05, 2003, 08:41 AM »
Hey People
Question - I have a freshly built 6x8 that I am hoping to use all winter behind the skidoo. Tows great now, with little or no snow. I'm worried that when the snow gets deep it's going to plow as I see so often. My question is, any suggestions on how I can prevent this? I was thinking of attatching a plate of tin/steel on the underside (3ft wide) that has an upward angled scoop on the leading edge (say about 1.5 ft infront of the shack) that will give it some lift
Any suggestions?
FYI it currently has two 4x6" full length skids capped with steel runners.
thanks
cm

grumpymoe

Re:Deep snow towing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2003, 08:59 AM »
unless your skids are longer on the front than your shanty i think that is probably the only option ??? ???

Offline chrism

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2003, 09:11 AM »
Should've been more descriptive - the existing skids stick out 16" in the front with a 45 degree upward angle.they are 4x6 stock (2-2x6 laminated) with steel runners.  
I want the skids to be slightly lower than any 'snow plate' I construct so that when I'm towing on ice there is less drag. I just don't know if my idea is a practical solution (in theory it is) or if anyone else has better ideas...
thanks
cm

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2003, 09:37 AM »
chrism--you could use aluminum or a similar smooth material and place it just under the front skids and up over (re-inforced ) shaped like a toboggan to make the shanty ride up on front.  8) 8)

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't jigging you ain't fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2003, 03:47 PM »
If your shanty is heavy it doesn't matter what you have under it the snowmobile probably won't move it even with a studded track and a buddy on back for extra weight. Make your ski's  narrow and tall so they go down to the ice, the less friction you have the easier it goes. We get plenty of snow here in northern Maine and I've been at it for a while and not much works with big shacks and deep snow. I bought a portable, built an aluminum frame and put some 5" by 5' plastic ski's I bought off of e-bay and I can pull this baby anywhere, anytime with my Polaris Indy. It weights a mere 107 lbs, fits in the back of my PU and sets up or down in a couple of minutes, I will never go back to my old 8x8 stick built shack. Just some ideas, hope they help and good luck fishing.

bomshack

« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2003, 07:21 PM »
I would definately gear the snowmobile down. It won't go as fast but it will be able to do more work with less stress on the machine. I took the crank out on my Polaris Storm and my brother's clutch gernaded on his Ski-doo! When it is cold and it is time to go nothing wants to move easily!

crappie king

« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2003, 09:27 PM »
This might sound kind of strange but I seen a guy once that had a frame that he had his shanty on that had four bicycle tires on it, they kept the shanty up high enough that the skinny tires went though the snow rather well.

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't jigging you ain't fishin'
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2003, 05:05 AM »
Skinny tires might be the answer, it is really amazing what ideas you get from just talking to other people!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.