Author Topic: Ice auger longevity?  (Read 3546 times)

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
Ice auger longevity?
« on: Aug 24, 2018, 10:56 AM »
Hey Guys,
I have an Eskimo gas ice auger and every year I debate on gas vs electric drill. I have read all about both and it seems pretty split on which is best I have my opinion and that is why I have a gas auger, and my brother has an electric drill. Both work great and I don't really have a preference. Anyway this isn't a post about which is better, but about longevity. I know guys that have gas augers that are 20+ years old. I'm sure they needed work here and there, but they are still running. What is the longevity on an electric drill set up? Anyone have one that has lasted 5+, 10+, or 15+ years on the same drill? I know that drills today are way better than the past. Maybe the new drills will last a long time, I just have a hard time imagining one lasting 10+ years going through ice that is constantly 15 inches or more. I'm not saying they won't last that long, just hard to believe for me. Most high end drills have great warranties, and I'm not concerned about that. Anyway does anyone have experience or input about how long an electric drill will last? Thanks.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice auger longevity?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2018, 11:37 AM »
Years and years ha.  I am not sure on that one, but I can tell you that you would be able to buy a few Ryobi drills for the price that it costs to buy an Ion, or the likes.  If you are popping holes 8" or less, I don't get why people would go with anything other than a drill/bit setup.  Clam plate is cheap if you are worried about the drill twisting.  Using a drill would be lighter weight, less to bring with (gas, propane), and it will work whenever you pull the trigger.  Granted you have to bring along an extra battery, but thats pretty simple.

Not what you asked in your question, but even if the drill craps out in 5 years, I will just buy another one, and still be less than a new gas or electric.
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2018, 12:12 PM »
that's why some of us buy ridgid tools. they are the only company that have lifetime warranty on tools, parts including batteries and labor. i wear my auger bit and blades. no worry ever of wearing a ridgid tool out.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2018, 12:20 PM »
that's why some of us buy ridgid tools. they are the only company that have lifetime warranty on tools, parts including batteries and labor. i wear my auger bit and blades. no worry ever of wearing a ridgid tool out.

On that topic, where can I find the 1300 in lb hammer drill from Ridgid?
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2018, 12:25 PM »
i like to get new stuff every few years anyhow. Will be bigger and better upgrades at that point. Besides, the actual milwaukee drill 2704 can be had for $120 or less bare tool. If that last me 3 years, I'm good as I will then be excited for the next latest and greatest. Just me but I can't be satisfied with anything for 20 plus years, except my wife hopefully :)

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2018, 12:46 PM »

From the rigid warranty. "While normal wear & tear is not considered a "defect" and is not covered by the RIDGID Lifetime Warranty, it is our goal to get your tool back in service a soon as possible."

If you buy a lot of tools from your dealer they might go the extra mile for you but if your an average joe there is not such thing as lifetime warranty.  Also remember that lifetime means the lifetime of the tool not your lifetime which companies all have different times described as lifetime.
https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/full-lifetime-warranty

Online HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2018, 12:55 PM »
Wouldn't be surprised if I'm running a jiffy with a Tecumseh engine 20years from now.  Ion will be forgotten by then imo. Hopefully one of the drill manufactures pulls the trigger on making a powerhead/drill designed for ice fisherman. 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Aug 25, 2018, 12:22 AM »
From the rigid warranty. "While normal wear & tear is not considered a "defect" and is not covered by the RIDGID Lifetime Warranty, it is our goal to get your tool back in service a soon as possible."

If you buy a lot of tools from your dealer they might go the extra mile for you but if your an average joe there is not such thing as lifetime warranty.  Also remember that lifetime means the lifetime of the tool not your lifetime which companies all have different times described as lifetime.
https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/full-lifetime-warranty

from first hand experience:
 i took all of my ridgid tools into a small nearby authorized ridgid tool repair center because i had one 12 volt drill motor smoke. never spoke to them prior to wanting them to replace a motor and they did not know me at all.
they wanted to go thru all of my ridgid tools and give me newer batteries because ridgid changed brand of batteries since the time i purchased them in the kits. they replaced parts such as trigger switches that were not worn out at all because they knew they would wear out, eventually. while i was at it i told them how my 24 volt ni-cads suck in the cold and they gave me new ones.

they explained when any tool becomes outdated for parts they will replace the tools with current versions. and yes, it is for the rest of my life and anyone else who buys their brand.

i don't have a dealer. i buy from. i only use different homedepot's, both brick and mortar and online and always have a different teller at check out or none at all.

they don't replace cosmetic issues such as scratched plastics or scuffs. you can buy the plastic parts if you'd like. if you drop a tool and it cracks open like an egg that is not covered. so their statement is correct.

the repair center wants us happy and as mentioned in the ridgid statement "they want the tools back in service as soon as possible".

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 26, 2018, 07:28 PM »

I will tell you that you are so wrong. I have a Jiffy that I love and have had for over 20 years. I also own an Ion and the ONLY advantage to the jiffy is speed. I don't drill 100 holes a day so if the Ion takes 20 extra seconds to drill 10 hole then that 3 minutes in my day. no big deal. The Ion is almost half the weight, I don't have to buy gas, don't have to tune it up, never get stuck on the ice when it wont start, can re-drill old holes with no problem, can flush all the slush out so I don't have to skim holes. I have an older Ion and fished upstate New York, I drilled thru 16" of ice drilling over 100 holes without running out of battery life over 2 days. I left the battery on the auger on the ice the whole weekend! The Jiffy has sentimental value because it is my dads but no gas auger campares to an ION and as a result it stays in the basement now.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Online HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Aug 26, 2018, 08:46 PM »
Shaver blades go to hell quick here so no ion for me. You don't like the hour or so of maintence a year to get rid of most all your problems but weight and buying gas.  I don't like blades going dull, another thing to charge,  not being able to fix/buy parts myself. It sounds like they will actually ship out parts but I can't just go down to the hardware store and buy a part if I break an ion.  Batteries being back compatible is going to be the issue with seeing ions still on the ice in 20 years.  Currently they've managed to keep them back compatible but they stand to make a lot of money by upgrading and phasing batteries out. I don't see this happening with drill batteries as quickly although I don't see drills lasting 20 years unless rigid keeps up their warranty.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Aug 26, 2018, 08:58 PM »
Shaver blades go to hell quick here so no ion for me. You don't like the hour or so of maintence a year to get rid of most all your problems but weight and buying gas.  I don't like blades going dull, another thing to charge,  not being able to fix/buy parts myself. It sounds like they will actually ship out parts but I can't just go down to the hardware store and buy a part if I break an ion.  Batteries being back compatible is going to be the issue with seeing ions still on the ice in 20 years.  Currently they've managed to keep them back compatible but they stand to make a lot of money by upgrading and phasing batteries out. I don't see this happening with drill batteries as quickly although I don't see drills lasting 20 years unless rigid keeps up their warranty.

The first auger I ever bought was a Jiffy Model 30 8in. It had the 3hp head, started pretty good all the time, and with the chipper blade cut ice pretty good. With the hand sharpening stone, a guy never had to really send blades off. Just sharpen it yourself. 

I finally sold it last year though. I just wasn't using it anymore. My Milwaukee/clam plate/6in lazer/8in nils/10in mora was just so much better. With a 9ah battery I never ran out of juice.

Sure the Jiffy worked and was a good auger, but there was just way to many positives to switching. Can't say I regret or am unhappy at all.

To each is there own with an auger. I just find myself drilling and moving more with a light weight auger that doesn't weigh much.

Online HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 26, 2018, 09:02 PM »
Maybe someone will try to turn a jiffy chipper bit with that new rigid drill and a clam plate and ill have to buy electric next year ;D

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
IdRe: Ice auger longevity?
« Reply #12 on: Aug 26, 2018, 09:03 PM »
Jiffy turns opposite so your drill would be in reverse

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Aug 26, 2018, 09:09 PM »
Maybe someone will try to turn a jiffy chipper bit with that new rigid drill and a clam plate and ill have to buy electric next year ;D

The k-drill is a chipper style and works.......Men and toys.....only we could argue about what's best for cutting a hole in a frozen lake.......

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 27, 2018, 06:22 AM »
I bit on the electric route last year. Sold the oldest gas job, upgraded Junior and I still got a 2hp Strikemaster with both an 8 and 10 inch drill. Started it up a coupla weeks ago. I was gonna sell it too but thought I just may keep it around, well, because.

My electric setup is incredibly lightweight and is an efficient driller. Since I'm not gettin' any younger the weight thing has made a big difference. Other pluses: no stink, no totin' gas either in the truck or (especially) on the ice, instant start, I love the quiet and did I mention lightweight? My motivation to go that direction was simply the flow of things. More and more I see people making the the electric choice and I was pretty invested in gas. I wanted to start to get out from under that before I couldn't even give a gas job away much less expect any $$ for it.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Aug 27, 2018, 09:16 AM »
i like to get new stuff every few years anyhow. Will be bigger and better upgrades at that point. Besides, the actual milwaukee drill 2704 can be had for $120 or less bare tool. If that last me 3 years, I'm good as I will then be excited for the next latest and greatest. Just me but I can't be satisfied with anything for 20 plus years, except my wife hopefully :)
Best post ever! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :clap:

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #16 on: Aug 27, 2018, 11:25 AM »
The first auger I ever bought was a Jiffy Model 30 8in. It had the 3hp head, started pretty good all the time, and with the chipper blade cut ice pretty good. With the hand sharpening stone, a guy never had to really send blades off. Just sharpen it yourself. 

I finally sold it last year though. I just wasn't using it anymore. My Milwaukee/clam plate/6in lazer/8in nils/10in mora was just so much better. With a 9ah battery I never ran out of juice.

Sure the Jiffy worked and was a good auger, but there was just way to many positives to switching. Can't say I regret or am unhappy at all.

To each is there own with an auger. I just find myself drilling and moving more with a light weight auger that doesn't weigh much.

Don't sell your gas auger! I love my M-18 and k-drill, but last winter by the end of Feb we had almost 30" of ice. I pulled out the old jiffy just so not to have that much wear and tear on the electric drill. Imo you still need both.

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #17 on: Aug 27, 2018, 01:05 PM »
Ok so back to the original question. Does anyone have any idea on longevity 5+ years 10+ years 20+ years? Anyone have a drill that is older than 10 years that is still going?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Aug 27, 2018, 01:09 PM »
Lots of Model 30 Jiffy's still going. 30 Plus years old.
<===Lefty===

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #19 on: Aug 27, 2018, 01:15 PM »
Ok so back to the original question. Does anyone have any idea on longevity 5+ years 10+ years 20+ years? Anyone have a drill that is older than 10 years that is still going?
I gave my son my 2hp Jiffy Stealth which I bought the first year they were on the market. It has to be more than ten years old and still runs like new. It has always used Amzoil Saber mixed 80:1 and ethanol free regular gas.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #20 on: Aug 27, 2018, 01:22 PM »
I think hes talking battery powered hand drills??.no my drills dont make it 10 years..however my 1970 jiffy 1 armed bandit purrs and cuts great still.lol

Offline Hookerhooker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Aug 27, 2018, 01:28 PM »
Have the drill attachments been around 10 years yet?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #22 on: Aug 27, 2018, 01:42 PM »
I think hes talking battery powered hand drills??.no my drills dont make it 10 years..however my 1970 jiffy 1 armed bandit purrs and cuts great still.lol
A lot still do. I thought about electric and went with a gas auger that weighs one pound more than an Ion. I guess when I get older I may go with a lighter drill type auger. Could be a while since I'm only 75 at this time. 😉
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: IdRe: Ice auger longevity?
« Reply #23 on: Aug 27, 2018, 04:50 PM »
Jiffy turns opposite so your drill would be in reverse

Not totally true I got a set of older 10 inch jiffy blades that cut clock wise.. that statement is true for newer Jiffy's though..

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #24 on: Aug 27, 2018, 06:08 PM »
That's a curiosity Chilly. Never seen a CW turning Jiffy. Even waaaay back to the arm breakers. Chipper blades should cut in either direction provided they're pointed the right way.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #25 on: Aug 27, 2018, 06:13 PM »
There was one or 2 models that cut clockwise.ive got a jiffy bit that i run on a old michigander ice auger that turns clockwise and it works.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Aug 27, 2018, 07:25 PM »
There was one or 2 models that cut clockwise.ive got a jiffy bit that i run on a old michigander ice auger that turns clockwise and it works.

Yup exactly..

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #27 on: Aug 27, 2018, 08:28 PM »
Don't sell your gas auger! I love my M-18 and k-drill, but last winter by the end of Feb we had almost 30" of ice. I pulled out the old jiffy just so not to have that much wear and tear on the electric drill. Imo you still need both.

I thought that way at one time. But after about 2yrs or so running my Milwaukee/clam plate/8in nils & not using my Jiffy model 30 8in I figured I better part ways with it before I need to do stuff to it. I've ran my electric setup on Upper Red, Bitter Lake & waubay when there was 30in of ice with zero problems. On the IGL this year with 24-30in. I had 2 4ah batteries when I started and would get about 30 or so holes out of each. Lasted year when I sold the Jiffy I got the 9ah battery and have not ever drilled enough holes to run out of juice with it.

I figured worst case was that if I ever regretted selling the jiffy I could always find one on Craigslist for $100-$150. Figured mine sold for $225 so I wouldn't be out anything.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Aug 27, 2018, 08:34 PM »
A big thing that will limit the longevity of anything battery powered is the availability of replacement batteries.  I have an older Bosch cordless drill that they don't make batteries for anymore. :(

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #29 on: Aug 27, 2018, 08:37 PM »
A big thing that will limit the longevity of anything battery powered is the availability of replacement batteries.  I have an older Bosch cordless drill that they don't make batteries for anymore. :(

So.....is that a win or not? The drill lasted. Can't u take the old battery pack to a place like battery plus and have it rebuilt?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.