Author Topic: Mat-Su area pike and burbot  (Read 6638 times)

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
Mat-Su area pike and burbot
« on: Jan 05, 2004, 07:41 PM »
Hail to all fellow brethren of the frozen pond!  

OK, corny intro... on to the subject.  I am looking for any information regarding pike and burbot fishing in the mat-su area.  Tips on bait and tactics for burbot would be great.  Road accessible lakes are preferred, but I do have a snowmachine.  Also looking for the better-than-average rainbow lakes to take the kids.  

Thanks,
ICY MIKE

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re:Mat-Su area pike and burbot
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2004, 10:56 PM »
Welcome IcyMike!  I'll ask a friend of mine for you in Anchorage on the snowmachine lakes.  I have fished Fire Lake and a couple others down there while visiting for burbs and pike. :)
TEAM ALASKA

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2004, 01:33 AM »
Thanks for the tip barleydog.  Any info would be appreciated.  I have yet to catch a burbot, but always willing to try something new.  I have pulled up numerous pike (and I must say that icing pike is my favorite winter sport).  However, you just can't get them to bite at nite.  There is something about being on the ice at nite that makes the fishing more enjoyable.  I have not seen any one actually fish at nite in Alaska.  Back in Wisconsin (where I grew up) we ice-fished at nite for crappie and walleye.  Burbot seems to be the only nite biters in the the area.  I have a pile of tip ups and tip-up lights that I am itching to use.  Myself and some buddies want to head north a little later in the winter and try for some interior burbs as well.  Any pointers?  Thanks again for the help.  My wife thinks I nuts, but thats OK.  She let's me take our 2 girls from time to time.  You know what that means...  more legal lines in the water!

Icy Mike

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2004, 03:00 PM »
Icymike,  Check your private message box.  :'(  Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2004, 12:59 PM »
Icy Mike,
Check the link below, its from AK Dept. of Fish & Game website. I fished Figure 8 Lake a few years ago for pike, its out on Point MacKenzie. Have to snowmachine in, off of Burma Landing Rd. We caught a few pike and had a great trip. Haven't fished to many lakes down that way, I'm in Fairbanks.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/region2/lakemaps/pikewaters.cfm

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2004, 06:13 PM »
thanks again.  I bought a portable shanty yesterday and if I get the honey-do list completed I get a kitchen pass to go fishing.  Keep me in your prayers!

Icy Mike

Offline Shaggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2004, 09:10 PM »
good luck

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2004, 11:34 AM »
Hope the wind has quit blowing down your way, no telling where we might find you and the portable if not. I'm on-call this weekend, won't be able to go until the 17th.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2004, 12:36 PM »
Yeah Mike,  You may have to put an anchor out so we don't find ya up here!  Those little portables are great sailboats...
TEAM ALASKA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.