Author Topic: new here  (Read 2344 times)

dubbsc

new here
« on: Feb 22, 2004, 12:15 AM »
look guys,

im new to the area and have been tryin out the fishin in a few area lakes.  I went to Jewel lake i think which sucked, big lake with no luck and louise lake last weekend which we caught fish but they were all around 22 inchers.  anyway im hoping to go out tomorrow morning and would really appreciate some info as far as where to go in the anchorage, eagle river area and whats the recommended bait. anyway like i said i would appreciate it greatly. its fun either way but it sure as hell is nice to catch some fish

dustin

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re: new here
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2004, 12:53 AM »
Dustin Welcome!
I can't help you much, but I have fished Fire lake for pike with good success!  Set up you rigs in about 5-6 ft. of water over or between the weed beds.  Get out from the launch area!  Don't fish were everyone else has.  Smelt or herring 2 ft. off bottom, (due to the type of lake weed found on Fire lk.)   If your fishing trout or char I would learn how to fish Big lake!  LOADS of big fish in this body of water.  Try a small green krockodile spoon with a small piece of cutbait.   Hope this helps?  Give us a report!  - Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2004, 06:59 PM »
Hey dustin and BD,

Just a quick pointer.  I just got off the phone with Palmer Fish & Game.  Bait of any kind is NOT allowed while fishing Big Lake.  Single hook artificials only.  Wanted to let you know before the warden handed you the ticket.

Hey BD.  I am trying to organize a trip to the Fairbanks area (give or take 100 miles) to fish for Burbot.  I need info on where and how.  I noticed Jake was using a glowing lizard on a lead-head.  Where and how deep (I think he said 15-25 feet).  We are planning to set up camp right on the ice so as to fish continuously.  Any pointers?

Thanks,
Icy Mike

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2004, 07:34 PM »
wel if you are coming to fairbanks, i'd be happy to show you ;) ;D  I do the best with the one ounce jig heads and the 8 inch glow curly tail...thats my favorite.  Mouths of feeder streams, like the Chena..or just any eddy or deep slower hole.  There are alot of hazards though..frazil ice under the ice makes it so you can't fish in many places.  Also it might look like it could be deep, and then you bottom out your auger on a sand bar.  The river ice itself dulls your blades in 50 holes or so depending on the ice thickness.  And the most serious one is river ice is more variable than any ice and not as strong as lake ice.  Also though if you are camping and fishing that long you chance catching pike, sheefish, whitefish, and grayling besides burbot.  Don't bother with sets, they are a waste of drilled holes...just jig, you catch much more and its more fun.  Anyways there are the tips, i'd be happy to show you how i do it.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2004, 11:25 PM »
OOPS!  Sorry for guidin' you in the wrong directions Dustin with the bait issue.  Did fish it years ago, so I didn't know of the reg change.  I do know there are some HOG char in that lake!  Not as big as our local char, but pushing the 10 lb. mark.

Icy mike,  You'll have to let me know when?  Jake said he had interest, soooo maybe we can make it a Shanty trip???  WoOuld also be interested in going to Nenana area overnight.  Heard of some huge catches from that area on the Tanana.  Don't have a clue where to fish down there?  Maybe someone out there can give us directions.  What do you guys say?  I am tied up with some projects, but can make room in my schedule.  After March 17th I'm open for any trip. ;D  Paxson would be good for Burbs, Whitefish, and Lakers?. 
TEAM ALASKA

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2004, 01:45 AM »
heck yeah...paxson sounds awesome...i'm on spring break 13-22 of march.  Night, day anytime on spring break!!!

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2004, 05:10 PM »
I would love to get up to Paxson in March, however... I will be in Wrangell (southeast) the 22-26.  I'm sure the wife would not be thrilled if I went on a fishing trip the week before a business trip.  Although I am going to try and get in some steelhead fishing and possibly troll for some winter kings. 

Currently I am trying to figure out a weekend (within the next two) to go north.  Both of my fishing partners are trying to work around their employers and school.  My wife would not want me to go solo.  I'll keep you posted. 

Thursday night I am going to try and hit Big Lake and fish until the wee-hours.  If anyone else is interested, post a note and perhaps we could hook up at the Tesoro station.

Jake, thanks for tips.  It would be great to meet up with you and BD and have us a ball on the ice.  I must warn you both that I like certain comforts while fishing.  Break out the Coleman stove, put on a pot of coffee, fry up some brats and onions, heat up a pot of chili, etc...  If the fishin' stinks the eatin' will be good.  If the fishin' is good it only makes the eatin' that much better.  Not to mention the possibility of fresh fish in the skillet!!!

Thanks guys,

Icy Mike

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2004, 10:10 PM »
Mike,  You know ya gotta ask her to come one week prior to going!  If she's like my wife the answer will be "no", but it get's you one step closer to the goal of the following week!  Then sob around the house, take the kids bowling for a day and BAM! she's releasing the nose ring for a weekend on the ice!  OK so it dosen't work everytime, but it's worth a try! ;D ;D  Bring out the brats, (every good ex-cheesehead should bring them,)  Leave the chili, unless your fishing upwind from me! :-[  18 Mar. and on is good for me.  Got a partner who would be game for such a trip. ;D -Bdog 
TEAM ALASKA

afro-on-ice

« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2004, 11:00 PM »
Howdy fellow fishers,
I'm heading up to Alaska with a friend from June 3rd too the 17th and staying in the Anchorage area.  I was just woundering if any of you had any suggestions for a "must do list" partaining to the outdoors while im up there?  I have never been to Alaska and I can't wait to get up there and expierience some of it for myself.  Do any of you know of any good Halibut charter or know of anyone who would be willing to take two 18 year olds out fishing for a day or two with us buying the bait or helpin out with some work?  We are flying up with his mom and are staying with some of his familly there and we were hoping to have a chance to catch some of the awesome Halibut that we've heard a ton about. 
Thanks a lot,
Keep on fishin!
Shawn
PS.  The icefishin down here in NY this year has been pretty good as far as panfish go.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2004, 07:59 PM »
Sorry Afro on ice,  Can't help you on that one!  Live to far north, but maybe one of our Anchorage guys can?
TEAM ALASKA

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2004, 12:04 PM »
A.O.I,

If your going to be staying in Anchorage, you'll have to fish for King's right in the heart of downtown.  Ship Creek has a good run of king's every year.  If your after halibut, try Salty Dog Charters (I believe they run out of Ninilchik or Deep Creek) or Crystal Sea Charters out of Homer.  Seward and Whittier also have abundant charter services.  Most of these guys have web sites that you should be able to locate easy enough.  Some other things you may want to consider are fishing for reds on the Russian River, clam digging in Clam Gultch, floating the Kenai for rainbows, perhaps some white water rafting.  Take a day and go to the museum in Anchorage, hike Flat Top Mountain, go to the zoo, etc.   As you travel through the state stop and glass the mountains every 20-40 miles, you'll be surprised what you see.  Bring a Milepost book along or make notes at your local library.  Most importantly, pack light.  You'll want to bring a cooler home loaded with fish, clams, and ???

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Icy Mike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.