The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Wyoming reg ???  (Read 2067 times)

Offline IcedBush13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is the sport of drowning worms
Wyoming reg ???
« on: Jan 09, 2008, 03:50 PM »
This was brought up in a different post and i would like some clarification on the subject from other's. Can you use artificially lighted hooks (i.e. Glow jig heads)???? I have always thought you couldn't use them. I have add the text strait from the reg's and you tell me your oppionion. ??? ??? ??? :tipup:

No person shall use an artificial light with a sole purpose of aiding in the
attraction or taking of fish. No person shall use any device to physically
extend an artificial light over the water to attract fish. It is illegal to use
or attempt to use artificially lighted hooked devices. Artificial lights
used for navigation, safety, preparing fishing equipment, observing
fishing rods and lines and artificially lighted bobbers are legal. Artificial
lights within watercraft or on the shore, which are not otherwise
prohibited, are legal.

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Wyoming reg ???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2008, 04:22 PM »
hey fishinwithflys,  I had the same question about glow jigs and kooks so i called WYO game and fish about it on that direct question and the lady told me "yes glow in the dark jigs and hooks are illegal in all Wyoming waters for the fact that they put off artificial light which makes illegal" so its only illegal if your caught with them i guess!

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2008, 04:25 PM »
I have asked this question to several G&F wardens and basically got the same answer every time.  They are not concerned with a glow jig or lure, but with an artificial light source (primarily meaning those lights that you hang into or over the water to attract zooplankton/baitfish/gamefish etc) but also intended to ban battery powered LED lights that attach to your lure.

When I asked specifically what seperated a glow in the dark jig from an "artificial light source" they told me in so many words to shut the
F#!k up, don't ask me any more stupid questions, nobody cares if you use a glow jig!!!

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2008, 04:33 PM »
hey fishinwithflys,  I had the same question about glow jigs and kooks so i called WYO game and fish about it on that direct question and the lady told me "yes glow in the dark jigs and hooks are illegal in all Wyoming waters for the fact that they put off artificial light which makes illegal" so its only illegal if your caught with them i guess!

You should ask a warden.  Or better yet stick to the "don't ask don't tell" policy!

Offline IcedBush13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2008, 05:39 PM »
That works for me i might just use the one's that I already own then. Not that i havn't before.

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2008, 05:45 PM »
yea i'm sure you'll be fine! but every warden is different! good luck with'em

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2008, 07:53 PM »
Not long ago, there was a thread about underwater cameras and their use in ice-fishing. Some wardens I've talked to about it feel they are a violation and others do not and don't really care. I don't own one, don't want or need one. The wardens who consider it a violation say it comes down to the issue of an "artificial light source" which is used solely for the purpose of enhancing the angler's chances of attracting/catching fish. I suppose they hang their hat on the illuminating source for the camera simultaneously attracting the fish.  ??? The principal of glow-in-the-dark lures are no different for fishing than light gathering fiber-optics are in bow hunting (red dot scopes are actually illegal in WY while FO are not.) Go figger. Artificial light, I've been told, means that the gizmo is attached to a battery-power source. Light-reflective jigs just don't qualify. Anyway, I've never had a warden check my lures, but I can see the possibility that someday, somewhere, some warden just might do that to somebody, albeit an extremely remote possibility. At times, in very deep water, I use them and don't spend a lot of time worrying about it.  ;D

Offline sledder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2008, 09:27 PM »
 Thats typical wygf. Its not illegal until a warden takes exception to it.Then it becomes cut in stone.

Its just like wygf,s stance on being in attendance of your fishing rod(s). A friend of mine was fined for not being in attendance of a fishing rod because he had it in a rod holder at the back of his boat and was sitting in the shade of his boats cabin door a measured 8 feet away. Took it to court and still lost. Even had video tape of other people doing the same thing or worse, next to him and the warden did nothing.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2008, 09:54 PM »
 :woot:

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2008, 10:46 PM »
When I asked specifically what seperated a glow in the dark jig from an "artificial light source" they told me in so many words to shut the
F#!k up, don't ask me any more stupid questions, nobody cares if you use a glow jig!!![

Exactly and thank you!!!

Seems like 85% of the ice-lures you see on the shelf, are glow-in-the-dark ::)
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
Blue-toppin.........and lip-rippin
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline IcedBush13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2008, 12:59 PM »
dam good point dog.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor