Author Topic: Heater buddy problem  (Read 1726 times)

Offline slicktrick

• IceShanty Rookie
Heater buddy problem
« on: Feb 05, 2018, 02:03 PM »
Recently I Bought a 5lb propane tank to hook up to my big buddy to heat my shack. The heater works perfect when running on the one pound bottles but when hooked to my five pounder the flame becomes speratic going up and down and sometimes even shutting off. After about 10-15 minutes of this the heater begins to work normaly. Has anyone else had this problem? I’m wondering if the tank pressures on the 5 and 20 pound bottles are quite different from the 1lb bottles ?

Offline Cujo

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Heater buddy problem
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2018, 04:00 PM »
20 pounders works fine on mine. I’m not sure what the problem there would be.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2018, 04:09 PM »
try using a filter on the heater. They are available just about anywhere.

HIMO
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2018, 04:09 PM »
possible air lock. If your big buddy has a quick connect try opening and closing it to release the pressure so only propane is in the lines.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2018, 04:12 PM »
My portable buddy would act like that when my 5 lb tank was freshly filled. After it had used some propane it would operate the way it should. I changed to the short, squat 11 lb tank and the problem went away. The 11 lb tank has more surface area like a 20 lb tank to allow propane to vaporize easier.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Burbot Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just chillin'
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2018, 04:39 PM »
Make sure to use a filter like HIMO advised. Bulk propane is not as clean as the propane in the one pound cannisters and could eventually ruin your heater. I purchased mine at Cabelas. Your flickering problem sounds like some air in the supply line.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2018, 05:17 PM »
I mostly use the 20LB tanks with a 15 foot hose that has the regulator, no need for a filter with this hose that connects to the quick coupler. This hose did take about 90 seconds when new to get the heater started because it is regulated to a very low 1-2 psi. If you do run it out of fuel and don't want to wait 90 seconds next time you start the heater just stick a 1lb tank on one of the screw in connectors and run the heater for a few minutes until the long hose has filled with propane. Every once in awhile I use compressed air to clean the heater esp around the thermocouple. I use mine a lot between ice fishing and heating a small shed and it has run for years no problems.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:44 AM »
I had this exact issue.. I was using a mr buddy hose but it was a screw in style. one I returned that and went to their quick connect style I have had no issues..
I could post examples if necessary.

Offline slicktrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2018, 01:14 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions I believe it to be an air lock issue. I thought i could bleed out the air through the piolet but no luck. Hooked everything up then crack open the line for at bit and that made a big difference. I will look at the quick connects so I can keep the hose charge between uses
Thanks again

Offline pkurtz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2018, 07:31 PM »
Yep, agree with others, get a filter. My buddy did the same thing with BBQ tanks till I got a filter.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.