Author Topic: Best way to bait tilts for pike and best baits to use . HELP !!  (Read 3282 times)

Offline halloweenri

• IceShanty Rookie
 Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Offline d3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pay attention as the kids are always watching
Go do a search in the northern pike forum you will find a wealth of information there.  Also plenty of books in barnes and noble and on net which have the info you are looking for.  I was taught by a very very good pike fisherman who told me the first thing about pike fishing is keep your mouth shut and everything under your hat until you they are not big mouths and keep info on the ice.  That means many hours on tthe ice no flags plenty of misses and other things will give you the experience.  Sorry brother the school of hard knox.  There are not alot of lakes with pike or should I say big pike 15-25 lbs in this state and i doubt others are going to give up there spots  I know you are saying bait and tilts but i know when the talk starts it goes in all kinds of directions.  now go out and have some fun trying to hook a toothy critter.

peace
D3

Offline solomon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Go do a search in the northern pike forum you will find a wealth of information there.  Also plenty of books in barnes and noble and on net which have the info you are looking for.  I was taught by a very very good pike fisherman who told me the first thing about pike fishing is keep your mouth shut and everything under your hat until you they are not big mouths and keep info on the ice.  That means many hours on tthe ice no flags plenty of misses and other things will give you the experience.  Sorry brother the school of hard knox.  There are not alot of lakes with pike or should I say big pike 15-25 lbs in this state and i doubt others are going to give up there spots  I know you are saying bait and tilts but i know when the talk starts it goes in all kinds of directions.  now go out and have some fun trying to hook a toothy critter.

peace
D3

WOW  :o :o :o :o :o
sol...

Offline pike master

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • let there be ice!!!!!!!!!!!
same way i learned trial and era long days on the ice with no fish and then bam your on  ;D

Offline CharoS10

• Team IceShanty Regular
Same thing with me, I was asking some ppl to how to catch them! I learn by myself and I finally caught good size. NOW I know how to catch them, but I hopeful its will catch them again and more BIGGER!

Offline Hardwaterhank

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks for trying to keep things quite and let people earn there fish not trying to be rude pick a pike pond get some local knowledge through friends and a baitshop and over time things will happen that's half the fun

Offline flik n dip

• Team IceShanty Addict
big bait, heavy tackle, big bait ;) live or dead.

Offline flagup55

• Team IceShanty Regular
I don't think he was asking for spots here or any trade secrets...I think a little more information on what you are looking for and an introduction may help you out here Halloweenri...

Offline SHORTSEASON

• Team IceShanty Regular
I don't think he was asking for spots here or any trade secrets...I think a little more information on what you are looking for and an introduction may help you out here Halloweenri...
This thread bothers me. I don't mind sharing information to active members and people who are willing to put there time in. What bothers me are the lurkers who sit on the couch and just suck the info from the group and don't contribute theres a ton of them !! Obviously I'm not going to tell you that my pike/bass spot is on fire, I just don't want 100 people in the spot when I show up. I believe in the " CODE " if someone gave you a spot its not yours to give away, as you gain technique and tricks on your own, well that's your decision. In this age of computers its easier to press a button and ask, how do I do this or that, than to actually put the physical time in. I wish I had this dam thing when I was growing up. This time of year for me is my relax time, not work. We need  a way to filter out the lurkers, I would gab tips much more. May be Halloweens question should have read "I have checked out all the pike tips on the shantysite, Ive been out a couple tines. OK whats the locals thoughts, I will report back ?---------SS
--NON STOP FISHN'

Offline Mc Lovin

• IceShanty Rookie
BARNES AND NOBLE BOOKSTORE IN SMITHFIELD HAS 2 GOOD BOOKS ON PIKE FISHING. I HAVE COFFE THERE ALL THE TIME AND HAVE LEARNED MORE FROM THE BOOKS THAN THE INTERNET.
THIS IS A GOOD SITE FOR THE SOCIAL SIDE OF ICE FISHING.

Offline pike master

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • let there be ice!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Best way to bait tilts for pike and best baits to use . HELP !!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2011, 12:43 PM »
This thread bothers me. I don't mind sharing information to active members and people who are willing to put there time in. What bothers me are the lurkers who sit on the couch and just suck the info from the group and don't contribute theres a ton of them !! Obviously I'm not going to tell you that my pike/bass spot is on fire, I just don't want 100 people in the spot when I show up. I believe in the " CODE " if someone gave you a spot its not yours to give away, as you gain technique and tricks on your own, well that's your decision. In this age of computers its easier to press a button and ask, how do I do this or that, than to actually put the physical time in. I wish I had this dam thing when I was growing up. This time of year for me is my relax time, not work. We need  a way to filter out the lurkers, I would gab tips much more. May be Halloweens question should have read "I have checked out all the pike tips on the shantysite, Ive been out a couple tines. OK whats the locals thoughts, I will report back ?---------SS

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Offline flagup55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2011, 01:18 PM »
Yea I am just giving a second chance here.  A PM is a better way to give some help...

Offline tightline02917

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2011, 01:24 PM »
mc lovin lets get a coffee an do some home work.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2011, 01:26 PM »
1 post asking for info
sad sad sad.
willing to bet not much effort will be put forth...

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline BigShow23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2011, 01:55 PM »
Wow..... Glad I never asked for help......LOL...  It takes time...time....time... .  Hell I still don't know crap!!  But its fun learning!!

Offline FlatRiver13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2011, 05:12 PM »
Forums are for exchanging information & everyone knows what ponds hold pike. I don't see where he was demanding any secret spots. Everyone wants to be so top secret, yet the previous thread shows off "Grinder results" photos that just gave everyone interested plenty to go on. He asked about hooks & bait, what harm is that gonna do? Go get some good sized hooks & good leaders. Some bait shops will even have "pike rigs", but it's easy to make up your own. Then get the biggest shiners you can....many shops call their biggest "pike shiners". Often by the time you get to the pond some of them are belly up. No problem, lazy pike like dead bait even better.....
good luck,

Offline Imissedem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2011, 06:26 AM »
Start with 35 to 50lb flouro leader/#4 or 5 Gamagatsu circle hooks/ 2 t0 3` leader length/Biggest dead bait hanging 2` off the bottom in weedy areas or laying on the bottom in gravel and stone areas.Shiners / or even Big Sardines from the fish market.Good Luck

Offline cobalt4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2011, 06:37 AM »
Get out there and give it a shot. While you are out there walk over to someone and chat with them. If you are putting in the time people are willing to share.
how do you  make four 9's equal 100

Offline SHORTSEASON

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2011, 06:54 AM »
Start with 35 to 50lb flouro leader/#4 or 5 Gamagatsu circle hooks/ 2 t0 3` leader length/Biggest dead bait hanging 2` off the bottom in weedy areas or laying on the bottom in gravel and stone areas.Shiners / or even Big Sardines from the fish market.Good Luck

2/0 octopus hooks on a 30lb coffee colored hair wire rig, I'm playing with flouro now, considering a switch. Water clarity

must fit in the equation when considering your rig of choice.----------SS
--NON STOP FISHN'

Offline pondyman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:46 AM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :icefish:

big bait big fish   randall made knives

Offline iceFINaddict

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2011, 01:22 PM »

30+ yr. veteren, still enjoys learning every trip I go out!  "Fish Club Rules", (as I call them) always apply. 
Fish Club Rules
Rule #1 Never give up your location.
Rule #2 Never let'm see your bait.
Rule #3 Always have fun, and keep it simple.
Rule #4 Take a child fishing (a Family that fishes together stays together). 
Rule #5 Fish Club Rules are made up along the way! LOL
~The good thing with ice fishing is there never can be a bad weather day while you're doing it~ Mark 2010~

Offline BASSMAN STANN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~~~ FLAG-UP ! ~~~
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2011, 04:32 PM »
A good prayer never hurts ! :angel :angel :angel
~~~~     Otis the sled dog.    ~~~~

Offline BARCH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2011, 06:23 PM »
We run  our out bait @ 4' depth shiners dead bait herring u can google how to fish for pike they say the same but im no expert trial and error As Ted from Teds bait said big fish slow pond (Stump) you want alot of action go to waikfield pond Whip city it happend to us two weekends ago pikerel destroyed our bait it was fun but pike fishing is cool let em go let em grow ya know Bri

Offline halloweenri

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:48 PM »
Wow............... I feel some anger in the room. :-[
I was just looking for general info .
Not looking to steal fishing spots or family secrets.
I fish Oak Swamp in Johnston for big bass , large mouth and small mouth bass.
It's listed in the DEM's book  for one of Rhode Island best bass lakes .  (Parking is difficult , I recommend from Shore Dr near the camp )
So now I gave up my secret bass lake.
I not trying steal anything  so please relax count to 10 and breath.
The few positive responses to my post , a many many Thanks for your kind response .
I'll be fishing Oak Swamp this coming Sunday (1-30-2011) with my daughter feel free to join us on the ice.
Small mouth bass  and large mouth bass hit on med size shiners and large shiners, about a foot and a half down in the water . :tipup:
Peace out !
The reason I joined this forum was to meet local fisherman and to exchange info.

Offline halloweenri

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:10 PM »
BARNES AND NOBLE BOOKSTORE IN SMITHFIELD HAS 2 GOOD BOOKS ON PIKE FISHING. I HAVE COFFE THERE ALL THE TIME AND HAVE LEARNED MORE FROM THE BOOKS THAN THE INTERNET.
THIS IS A GOOD SITE FOR THE SOCIAL SIDE OF ICE FISHING.

Thanks for the info .............. I'm just around the corner , I'll swing in Saturday and check it out .

Offline Dsouth883

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:06 AM »
Fresh killed Fallfish right off the bottom is #1
Fresh killed Goldens right off the bottom is #2
Fresh killed White Sucker right off the bottom is #3
The bigger the better and placing your dead bait nose down has helped me land 3 20lb+ fish in the last 2 years. :tipup: BTW they where all C+R fish. :tipup:
And a flat of fresh Herring works well on some lakes but on some of the lakes I fish the fresh killed will out fish the Herring 5to1 but when the big 14" Herring flag gos up most time's it's a good fish. :tipup:

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((((((((((((((((((((o>
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:19 AM »
The reason I joined this forum was to meet local fisherman and to exchange info.

don't let the jackwagons bother you! shoot me a pm and i'll help you out!

dbd :tipup:
trout make big pike fat and happy!

Offline BASSMAN STANN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~~~ FLAG-UP ! ~~~
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:25 AM »
Deadbait Dave lives ! ! ! ! :woot: :thumbsup: :woot:
~~~~     Otis the sled dog.    ~~~~

Offline will02895

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:08 AM »

Wow! Someone asks for help and that's how you respond?  If you're worried about people at your spot maybe you shouldn't post pics of every pike you catch, and where you caught them...  Just a thought.   

Offline mazzman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2011, 10:15 AM »
The responses from some of these yahoos is pathetic.  The guy asks for some basic info and gets stuffed??

For the guys who responded with some help - kudos to you!!

Mazzman

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.