Author Topic: chumming for perch?  (Read 29026 times)

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
chumming for perch?
« on: Nov 20, 2003, 04:54 PM »
Iwas wondering if anyone has tried chumming for perch i've heard of guys doing it does anyone have any suggestions or tips?

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
Re:chumming for perch?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2003, 06:39 PM »
I know a guy  ;)  he told me about using crushed egg shells. Said it will help in drawing the fish in to your holes. Check your local regulations before trying. May just be illegal.

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2003, 08:28 PM »
I do the crushed egg shell thing sometimes. Can't tell if it helps me catch more fish but my cholesteral is way up.
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2003, 10:04 PM »
Have tried the old crushed egg shell thing too , never did a thing for me and the eggs didnt help my hair get shiny either, lost over 1/2 of what i used to have. I call it having a reverse Mohawk   LOL

Offline howey1176

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2003, 04:30 AM »
Ive used whole kernal corn. Sometimes it worked sometimes it didnt. A few times Ive ended up catching bullhead instead of perch though. Or if you have a bunch of dead minnows (or live ones if you have enough) and grind them up in your hand and just drop them in. Almost every time it would bring perch in after about 15 or 20 minutes. All depends on what is in the area. Bad thing is though it also brings the pike in. Quite a few times Ive been catching perch in a chummed hole and they would just stop and a few minutes later hook into a pike. :-\

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2003, 06:32 AM »
I also know an old guy that drills a hole a bit away from the catching hole and puts down a sand filled bottle on a nylon line ,..the bottle was covered with alum  foil,..then he would twist the rope a bit to very slowly spin for a while,..he called it his fish attractor,..I don't know if it works or not but on the day I saw him use it,..he caught more fish from that hole,..his reasoning was the small flashes from the foil made it look like a minnow school,..I'm not sure how many it scared away,..he placed it away from the hole depending on the clarity of the water,.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2003, 07:49 AM »
I have heard of the cut up minnow trick. Your hands would stink bad after that. Yuck. If you tried the bottle wrapped in tinfoil you would have fish biting the bottle. Last year I tried the 'bowties' trick. I kept getting bites but they let go real fast. I pulled up my line and my 3/4" wide bowtie was squished flat as roadkill. Thought about putting foil on a hook but didnt have the guts.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2003, 09:20 AM »
An old guy I know uses a large coffee can full of cement with an eye hook in it.  He ties a rope to the eye hook and bounces it off of the bottom to stir things up.  Way back when my grandfather used to fill a burlap bag with what’s left over from cleaning your catch.  Once he had a good amount, he would tie a rope to it and drop it down a hole with a marker on the top side.  He would re-drill the hole and shake the bag while he was fishing a few feet away.  I’m not sure if either method is legal or not, but often thought of trying the burlap bag trick.
Follow the bubbles...

Ice_Dog

« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2003, 10:37 AM »
I have heard of using can corn and corn meal in your hole but i'm not sure if it works :P :P :P

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2003, 03:41 PM »
Terry
Were not after Burbot again And don't tell us about rolling it in little balls I'm getting ready to eat dinner
Cold Feet

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2003, 08:13 PM »
Scale a perch or bluegill and put the scales down the hole. At times I have had this work real good for me. I don't know what is does, if it is the smell or the fluttering down of the scales. It works enough that it is always worth a try.

Offline DaFish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2003, 02:10 AM »
Whenever I change my bait whether its spikes or minnows  I step on them and kick it down the hole.  Same thing goes for all the bait that dies.  It seems to work.

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2003, 09:49 AM »
I've chummed with oatmeal flakes.  Seems to bring in those curious bluegills.  Doesn't do beans for crappie.  I also drop in the dead minnows from the bucket.  The trick is to get them to sink.  Sometimes they just float around in the hole.  On a slow day -- the trick is to sink em with one hit from the rod tip  ;D

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2003, 09:50 AM »
Take a can of dog food or cat food and punch a bunch of holes in it and attatch a string for retrieval.Lower it to the bottom and bounce it a few times then as the goo starts to soften up bounce it every once in a while.Minnows come in for the treat and the perch will come in after the monnows....

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2003, 10:17 AM »
I think the wife would kill me , and the cats would give me funny looks if i kept stealing they're cans of food to feed (entice) the fish   LOL

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2003, 04:09 AM »
Tidal Salt-water smelt just love to home in to a can of shrimp flavored can food.
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline wallyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2003, 04:47 PM »
the crushed egg shells it not to atract fish .its so you can see the bottom better
 ::) :'(

GEM_EYE_GUY

« Reply #17 on: Nov 24, 2003, 12:32 AM »
I tried the dogfood and catfood.  All I caught was bowfin and flatheads.  ::)

Offline fishin fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • give 'em a shake
« Reply #18 on: Nov 24, 2003, 12:53 PM »
Wallyguy, are you sure about that.  What about in water deeper than say ten feet?
t'pup!

Offline nunzio

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love a day on the ice!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2003, 07:10 AM »
Spearfishermen use the egg shells to cover the bottom to make the pike stand out from the bottom. I don't see how it would work for angling once the shells hit bottom...... falling maybe.

Chumming is illegal in Mn. No fish parts dumped back in..

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2003, 07:58 AM »
We tried the eggshells trick last winter....on the AquaVu the perch did pick at them occasionally, but I don't know if the shells attracted them or maybe it just kept them around for a little longer. I don't bother anymore, too messy and just more stuff to pack and keep track of.

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 27, 2003, 05:40 AM »
Been using the egg shell trick for over 20 years - does it attract perch? Who knows, but I believe it does,so it helps.Can't wait to try the colored shells from the kid's easter baskets that I have been saving-red,orange,yellow,green,flo green LOL

Good Luck - Good Fishing
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

grumpymoe

« Reply #22 on: Nov 27, 2003, 04:24 PM »
i use the eggshells once the snow cover gets heavier-they only last a day or two--i haven't seen the perch picking at the shells but it brightens things up a bit-another thing that works very well is tinfoil in unused holes surrounding active fishing spots but make sure they can be retrieved-i usually attach scrap mono to make sure.it brightens things up much more than shells and i have even seen walleye and northerns bottom bounce of the foil--make sure it is legal in your area.    :o :o

Offline cagetrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta Love the Vexilar FL 18:
Re: chumming for perch?
« Reply #23 on: Feb 04, 2007, 06:25 PM »
I'm not sure if this post is still going...

But I used a devise called a T R 7 Fishcall...In the instructions it said to use Rabbit Pellets...

I did that w/ my TR-7 and it worked..

Now...Since it's days are long gone, I still use Rabbit Pellets..and I can tell you this..I'll catch some of the nicest Gills and Perch around..

Oh...By the way...I kinda crush some Pellets into a dust and put all my bait in that mixture..Sure does beat the Wooden Sawdust Mixture..

Stan

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 04, 2007, 06:55 PM »
I'm not sure if this post is still going...

But I used a devise called a T R 7 Fishcall...In the instructions it said to use Rabbit Pellets...

I did that w/ my TR-7 and it worked..

Now...Since it's days are long gone, I still use Rabbit Pellets..and I can tell you this..I'll catch some of the nicest Gills and Perch around..

Oh...By the way...I kinda crush some Pellets into a dust and put all my bait in that mixture..Sure does beat the Wooden Sawdust Mixture..

Stan
Good idea C trapper think I'll give it a try.  Do you think dog food would work???

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 05, 2007, 07:41 AM »
buddy of mine chums for crappie and perch... first little guy he catches he mashes with his cleats and stuffs him back in the hole... claims it works great
'Its either me or ice fishing' she says... i still have my jiffy

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #26 on: Feb 05, 2007, 09:25 AM »
I dont think it is legal to chum in Manitoba

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 05, 2007, 10:49 AM »
Put left over pinheads in a freezer bag w/ some salt.  Drop a few "salted" minnows dpwn the hole.  The salt makes them sink real fast.  The key is, NOT to put too many minnows down at once... just 3-4.

Offline cagetrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta Love the Vexilar FL 18:
« Reply #28 on: Feb 05, 2007, 07:21 PM »
Empty Hook..

Good idea C trapper think I'll give it a try.  Do you think dog food would work???

I think it may work...Only if a Rabbit Eats the Dog Food..LOL>.. ;D   :D   ;)   ;D

Offline JWALCK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 06, 2007, 09:25 PM »
Me and my dad have been using oatmeal for years. It has always seemed to work for us in attracting all types of panfish. When you drop it in the hole it flutters to the bottom very slowly. In shallow enough water we have actually watched fish eating it as it fell and off the bottom.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.