Author Topic: poppin out perch eyes  (Read 61659 times)

Offline bwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • To fish or not to fish...is a stupid question
Re: poppin out perch eyes
« Reply #30 on: Mar 02, 2006, 05:55 PM »
How well tdo the frozen eyes perform compared to fresh out of the socket??

Both just fine IMHO

I hook them through the edge.  Lets them dangle a bit, esp if there is some of the optical nerve waving around in the water.
The moon is much smaller than the earth, however, it is much farther away.

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Mar 02, 2006, 06:55 PM »
use my thumb, popping out as I catch and need to rebait...when they're really cranked, sight fishing, I don't use any bait once the eye wears out...till they slow down, then new eyes, and start the process all over again...
It's all about Karma.....

Offline frznFinn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Mar 12, 2006, 05:32 PM »
I yell -hey dad!....instant perch eye...no mess...works every time... ;)
24 hours in a day. 24 beers in a case ... coincidence?

Offline iceonly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • just set the hook
« Reply #33 on: Nov 29, 2006, 09:03 PM »
I was at Devil's Lake a few years ago, and at the lodge I stayed at they sold a depth finder (remember those lead weights with the alligator clip on them?) with a wire loop soldered on the lead end. It was hands down the neatest , cleanest method I have found.
If it ain't cold, it ain't fishing

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #34 on: Dec 01, 2006, 08:54 AM »
I was at Devil's Lake a few years ago, and at the lodge I stayed at they sold a depth finder (remember those lead weights with the alligator clip on them?) with a wire loop soldered on the lead end. It was hands down the neatest , cleanest method I have found.

Do folks not use the lead with the alligator clips anymore???  Last year, my father dropped his line with the df on it to the bottom and caught a small walleye on it.  He still talks about that....we paint em chartruese so they are easier to find when we drop them, laying in the bottom of the bucket, etc....but that wire loop sounds cool,,,,I'll have to get out the soldering iron...

flockshot

« Reply #35 on: Dec 01, 2006, 08:57 AM »
that does make sense and sound like a handy idea...ill have to get on that.

Offline FISHLIPS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 05, 2006, 09:13 AM »
I use my hand it is quick and easy, perch eyes work great when you are jigging and a school shows up, I keeep a minnow on the top hook and an eye on the bottom  ;D ;D ;D :tipup:

Always waiting for the last bite!!!! Don't want to stop fishing!!!!!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #37 on: Dec 05, 2006, 06:58 PM »
I use my hand it is quick and easy, perch eyes work great when you are jigging and a school shows up, I keeep a minnow on the top hook and an eye on the bottom  ;D ;D ;D :tipup:
A large paper clip works fine for popping Perch eyes out.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Meatro14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 06, 2006, 10:47 PM »
i still use the thumb method...works everytime

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 07, 2006, 03:47 PM »
I like the paper clip.  scoops em out real nice and clean with no damage to the eye

thats my 2 cents worth

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Dec 07, 2006, 05:38 PM »
I posted this a while back but it works real well, so I will post it again.  Take Bic ballpoint pen and a paperclip.  Bend the inner wire loop out so the paper clip is flat and looks like an enlongated "S" shape.  Take the ink cartrige and the little plastic piece that holds it out of the pen. Jam the small loop of the paper clip in the end of the pen and bend the large wire loop at a slight angle so it is like a spoon. 

This eye scoop is practically free to make (especially if you make them at work) and it only takes a few seconds. They are harder to lose in your pockets of tackle box than a paper clip alone and it will scoop the eyes out unbroken every time - quick and easy. 

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline bwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • To fish or not to fish...is a stupid question
« Reply #41 on: Dec 13, 2006, 01:55 AM »
used to use tools and gadgets.now just the thumb.  Gets those ever so dangly optic nerve pieces that just tease them so...........
The moon is much smaller than the earth, however, it is much farther away.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #42 on: Dec 13, 2006, 09:00 AM »
Around here we can still find the depthfinder weight with the wire loop on the end. I have several of them.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 20, 2006, 04:19 PM »
 Gotta love the thumb method.. i find perch eyes or eyes from any fish  will also work for whitefish when nothin else does, rig with a #14 octopus and set on bottom or lightly jig about inch up
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #44 on: Dec 21, 2006, 10:44 AM »
Somebody asked the question about useing other species eyes I have used walleye eyes  and done really well.But don,t be putting your thumb in there mouths use a tool.Use 6-8 lb flouro crabons too many walleye mixed in with our perch .Perch are up to 14 ins hit like a little freight train ;D

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Dec 21, 2006, 02:30 PM »
Somebody asked the question about useing other species eyes I have used walleye eyes  and done really well.But don,t be putting your thumb in there mouths use a tool.Use 6-8 lb flouro crabons too many walleye mixed in with our perch .Perch are up to 14 ins hit like a little freight train ;D

Now I'm confused.  When you use your thumb are pushing out from the inside of the mouth?  I always assumed the thumb method was done from the outside of the fish where you use your thumb like a scoop.  Maybe that's why I always broke them.  How exactly do you use your thumb?

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 21, 2006, 02:58 PM »
Sorry for the confusion this may be not everybody else does it just me. I start it with my thumb from inside if it does not come out I hold it with my middle finger and use my thumb from the outside.I have also seen guys grind the end down on a tea spoon and they drill a small hole in the handle and attach it to there suit or around there neck . After 80 -125 fish a day your fingers get pretty sore and cold hope this helps need more info let me know

Offline Perch Master

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish with a Vex, or get skunked like the rest.
« Reply #47 on: Jan 07, 2007, 08:12 PM »
i still use the thumb method...works everytime

Same here...quick and easy.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Jan 09, 2007, 10:50 AM »
My bro just showed me the "thumb method"  Greatest thing since sliced bread!   It's the only way from now on.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Jan 09, 2007, 11:20 AM »
just place the perch against your lips like you were going to kiss him, suck out the eye, hold it with your tounge against your top teeth and bite the nerve off.  ;)
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #50 on: Jan 09, 2007, 05:22 PM »
make a small loop with hard wire about the size of a lg.perch eye.Put the tag ends  in an empty rifle shell,fill the shell with lead.The shell makes a great handle.You cant pop eyes any faster or cleaner   8)

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Jan 10, 2007, 09:10 AM »
just place the perch against your lips like you were going to kiss him, suck out the eye, hold it with your tounge against your top teeth and bite the nerve off.  ;)

MMMMM-- Nice visual! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Jan 10, 2007, 11:00 AM »
Just pray you dont cough!

Offline johnnywalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
  • some days u r the dog,others the hydrant
« Reply #53 on: Jan 21, 2007, 06:49 PM »
perch eyes are a great bail.ive caught damn near everything that swims on them.i made a tool from a small dowel and mechanics wire.just scoop the eye and your ready to go.fresh eyes do perform better than frozen ones.walleye eyes work well for walleys too
salmon;the other pink meat

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Jan 21, 2007, 06:58 PM »
If you do freeze some eyes for later dates on the ice or open water fishing how do the frozen eyes stay on the hook compared to freshly popped eyes?

They still work well...I freeze them in small, plastic baggies, about four or five in each bag...then as soon as I have a fresh perch, I have fresh eyeballs.
Winter is the time of year toward which all that has gone before
seems but a preparation....winter, a quiet acceptance of what is
to come....Sigurd F. Olsen

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #55 on: Jan 21, 2007, 07:37 PM »
Freezing them is a darn good idea!!!Thats why you just gotta love this site :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those toothy critters!
« Reply #56 on: Jan 21, 2007, 10:33 PM »
speaking of using perch eyes in open water, has anyone ever tried them on a spoon when trolling for pike?  seems like a pretty good combo.
"You can't catch 'em from your living room!"

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #57 on: Jan 25, 2007, 07:27 PM »
Checkout my username.
I picked it because, hands down, a perch eye on a homemade copper spoon (made out of copper pipe) is my favorite method for jigging up big perch in Oneida Lake (Central New York).
I used to pop them out with my thumb, but ruined about 50% before I could fully extract.
I found out that a heavy gauge coat hanger cut to 12" and folded in half (while keeping the bend about 3/8# wide) made a dandy extractor. Just twist the cut ends a few times and wrap with electrical tape to make a thin handle.
BTW, be kind and whack the perch's head with skimmer handle (or similar) to euthanize prior to popping eye out.

Best,
PerchEyes
The tug is the drug.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #58 on: Feb 03, 2007, 10:41 PM »
i also use pike, walleye and tullibee eyes with great success. tullibee eyes work really good and if you get the smaller ones use the eyes for perch bait and the rest for pike bait.

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #59 on: Feb 03, 2007, 10:59 PM »
I yell -hey dad!....instant perch eye...no mess...works every time... ;)
lmao way to go kid!!!! :roflmao: :roflmao: :clap: :thumbsup: :roflmao: :roflmao:
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.