New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1025816 times)

Offline elrodalonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #4590 on: Feb 18, 2020, 03:16 PM »
Glad to hear the happy ending MP. I went in quite a few years ago and if you haven't had it happen to you you cant imaging the feeling.  Just a reminder of how dangerous a lake Oneida is in the winter.  If you fish alone which I do you cant overstress the importance of a few safety items.  Hope you never have to use them but if you do they are lifesavers.

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #4591 on: Feb 18, 2020, 03:33 PM »
happy to hear you made it out ok  and back safe...…   goodluck stay safe
youngster

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4592 on: Feb 18, 2020, 03:48 PM »
Is it posted on here?

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=278992.0

I don’t think it is.

Scout - can you get those coords off of Facebook?

Offline Tbell112

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4593 on: Feb 18, 2020, 04:41 PM »

He didn’t have coordinates but this is the general area

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4594 on: Feb 18, 2020, 04:49 PM »
I know we have 8 inches of ice but a spud is a beautiful thing to carry....

really glad your here to warn us all MadPerry

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4595 on: Feb 18, 2020, 05:04 PM »

I went out alone on a different lake last night, got to the lake at 22:00. This site has me convinced to walk with a spud every time, even when I witnessed a quad come off as I walked on

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4598 on: Feb 18, 2020, 05:13 PM »
Glad to hear the happy ending MP. I went in quite a few years ago and if you haven't had it happen to you you cant imaging the feeling.  Just a reminder of how dangerous a lake Oneida is in the winter.  If you fish alone which I do you cant overstress the importance of a few safety items.  Hope you never have to use them but if you do they are lifesavers.
Taking that swim is humbling, isn't it? 

I refuse to be embarrassed about it, however.  And I appreciate how all of you aren't piling on in a typical internet shamefest.  Shows the quality of the people here.

I shared what happened so it sharpens everyone.  Much like I didn't want to go out that way, I don't want any of you to either.  Ice picks are cheap.  I say I was complacent because for a few years I have been "planning" on getting a striker suit.  I have been using a clam suit for several years.  I know now that it did offer a slight amount of buoyancy.  But they fill with water immediately and add to the weight pulling you down.  Big boots do not help while treading water.  I wont be going back out until I have a Striker suit.  I won't be going back out in the dark with no one around or with me.  I also lost my spud bar earlier this season.  Figured I didn't need it anymore this year.  Hmmmmm.

I'm a middle aged man with a few extra pounds.  I struggled mightily getting out.  Something to consider.

Offline njmar75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4599 on: Feb 18, 2020, 05:16 PM »
Any gas holes near lewis point and sylvan beach?

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4600 on: Feb 18, 2020, 05:18 PM »

He didn’t have coordinates but this is the general area
It is likely that was the spot I went through.  I think it was a little closer towards the direction of the island.  I say that because I check Navionics  every couple minutes as I walk out, to see position. That is NOT how it looked this morning in the dark.  Completely covered in snow.  After going in, I was in no position to mark a waypoint.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4601 on: Feb 18, 2020, 05:25 PM »
Sure glad you had your ice picks on and you got OUT !
Get a good quality winter whistle that does not have a ball inside that could freeze.

That is right near where I was fishing last week heading for the east end of island....thankfully did not find that gas hole by accident! I followed the main sled trail out and did not notice it, might have been just beyond where I hit the 20 fow mark...scary situation being  solo and no one within earshot of you. I might start carrying a driveway reflector post or wood stick and some ribbon, strips of a wal mart bag or police tape as a flag warning in case I find any... for the next guy that might happen by .
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4602 on: Feb 18, 2020, 05:26 PM »

You are absolutely right.  I lost mine earlier in the season.  I knew there was 8 inches out there because I fished Saturday.  And I wasn't worried about walking anywhere I wanted to.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4603 on: Feb 18, 2020, 05:35 PM »
Glad Your safe , no joke when it comes to safety equipment

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4604 on: Feb 18, 2020, 05:38 PM »
 For you new guy's to ice fishing ,Here is what I carry around my neck when I step out on any ice. Yellow lanyard around my neck holding a nail cclipper, forceps,depth sounders ice paste and most importantly my ice picks and winter whistle.

Again, glad you got out ok...and hope I don't ever have to use the picks or whistle.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4605 on: Feb 18, 2020, 05:58 PM »
Taking that swim is humbling, isn't it? 

I refuse to be embarrassed about it, however.  And I appreciate how all of you aren't piling on in a typical internet shamefest.  Shows the quality of the people here.

Big boots do not help while treading water. 

I'm a middle aged man with a few extra pounds.  I struggled mightily getting out.  Something to consider.
We all get a little complacent with the spud bar, especially with 8 or 9 inches of ice.

About the heavy boots...you are so right. An oldtimer told me many years ago when we all wore those heavy sorel type boots.  He said " lace them up, but keep them loose ...in case you go in you can kick them off if you have to" "They get really heavy when in the water"  hard to kick or swim with heavy boots in water.
To this day I lace up my boots loosely when on the ice or out in row boat or canoe, especially in cold water.
I went through the ice when I was in my twenties, no ice picks...was lucky to get out..could not even yell the ice water took my breath away. I don't know if I could get out now without the picks.

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4606 on: Feb 18, 2020, 06:08 PM »
Very good news that you got out safely. Just goes to show you no ice is ever 100% safe. I saw dozens of wheelers and sleds out off of Chapman on Sunday I would never assume a guy on foot could go thru anywhere besides in front of a running creek. Those gas holes are no joke, to be honest it's terrifying.

Offline njmar75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4607 on: Feb 18, 2020, 06:21 PM »
Here is another one between apps sn jewel on 33 ft of water...i did put the mark on navionics

Offline Tbell112

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4608 on: Feb 18, 2020, 06:35 PM »
Any gas holes near lewis point and sylvan beach?
If someone knows, I also would appreciate knowing.

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #4609 on: Feb 18, 2020, 06:54 PM »
I went out of Williams this morning, about 530, and walked right into a hole over 20 feet of water.  Just looked like snow and in I went.  Was about 2/3 out from the beach, in a direct line to the islands east point.  It was dark and no one around.  I walked well past the only other person out that early.  Far enough they never heard my yells for help.  I had my ice picks but could not pull myself out on the 1st attempt.  Said to myself I was not going to die there and scratched, kicked and rolled out.  THOSE ICE PICKS SAVED MY LIFE.  Make sure you where them!!!  My approach to ice fishing will completely change now.  Dont be like me and get complacent.  That 1.5 mile walk back was cold and terrifying.  If I had gone in again, I likely wouldnt have had the strength to get out.  Be safe.
MadPerry,
So glad you made it out!
Your post drives home the point that no ice is totally safe especially Oneida with all the gas holes.
We all should learn from your mishap and be cautious and be prepared.
Best,
PerchEyes
The tug is the drug.

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4610 on: Feb 18, 2020, 07:15 PM »
Wow! Glad your ok! Good thing you had your picks but didn’t hear you mention a spud bar? Might not have made a difference but in the dark I use mine every step.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #4611 on: Feb 18, 2020, 07:22 PM »
Glad you go out ok. Thanks for sharing. Reminds me how to not get comfortable and just rip out on the sled tho I been doing out for 3 weeks with it.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline coast51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4612 on: Feb 18, 2020, 07:30 PM »
Glad to hear you made it out safely and thanks for sharing your story and insight. Hopefully we can all learn something from it, heavy boot's, ice picks and a strong will to live. I can see myself easily becoming complacent when there is machines running around and 6" or more of solid ice. Glad your home for sure!!

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4613 on: Feb 18, 2020, 07:42 PM »
X2 glad you made it MP...

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4614 on: Feb 18, 2020, 08:18 PM »
That is scary stuff right there, we had 5 inches fresh snow in Constantia today. I swear I know that gas pocket, it is just east of the trail they make from Borio's to Constantia on the lake every year. It is A big one, I thought it was on the map already.

Offline stasui

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4615 on: Feb 18, 2020, 09:25 PM »
Just a quick question to the locals. I fish the lake several times through the ice and have seen sketchy ice not sure if its a gapocket or not. My question  is year to year r they always in the same spot or do they move? Thanks for anyone that answers.

Offline H2O-32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4616 on: Feb 19, 2020, 12:37 AM »
Is it posted on here?

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=278992.0
It is now, as well as the one reported today off Jewell. Thx Scout & NJMAR for the coordinates. I will double check these in the morning. Let me know if they don't show or don't appear right.

Glad you are O.K., by posting it here you may have helped others avoid it.

Recapping:
1.) Bring a spud and use it
2.) Bring picks and wear them
3.) Check the gasholes map in the link above on p.2 for the area(s) you intend to fish (or the navionics version) and be aware of any holes in those areas.

If there are any other gas holes y'all find post coordinates here and I will add them to the map. Thx.

Offline H2O-32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4617 on: Feb 19, 2020, 12:50 AM »
Just a quick question to the locals. I fish the lake several times through the ice and have seen sketchy ice not sure if its a gapocket or not. My question  is year to year r they always in the same spot or do they move? Thanks for anyone that answers.
I was told they don't by some of the people here, and I researched it as well, they do not. See item 5 in link below.
http://lakeice.squarespace.com/gas-holes

Offline fishhooksul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be on the ice, then in a boat...
« Reply #4618 on: Feb 19, 2020, 02:27 AM »
Glad you got out ok !! I am very familiar with that gas hole !! Almost went in it a couple years ago. It's usually in that general area. It wasn't that big a couple years ago, but we had better ice that year. CNY Tim, that's the same hole.
There's another big one just off the northern tip of Frenchmans island on the edge of the channel not far from bouy 133.

Be safe out there !! A true wake up call for everyone !!  GLAD YOUR OK !!   Sully...

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4619 on: Feb 19, 2020, 05:39 AM »
Yeah. With the crap ice this year and now the snow and getting toward March they’re going to start opening up. Bad combination.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.