Author Topic: St. Croix Mojo  (Read 3244 times)

Offline Fishin Friesz

• Team IceShanty Regular
St. Croix Mojo
« on: Dec 07, 2016, 02:57 PM »
Anybody get a good look at the new St. Croix MOJO ice rods yet? Have owned a few St Croix rods before and am looking for a decent pike / lake trout/ burbot rod and the 36" MH model looked like it might be a good fit but i can't find anyone within a few hours of here that has one to look at. Any input is appreciated thanks!

Offline MFallon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: St. Croix Mojo
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2016, 10:29 AM »
I checked a couple out at the store, unique handle design that I'm sure some will like, but for whatever reason I didn't feel like it was a $50 rod. Haven't had a chance to fish with it though! Positive is the guides seem much better aligned then the premier series, which was a crapshoot!

Offline nbfish14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2016, 10:54 PM »
Super nice rods for the money!

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2016, 05:42 PM »
Cabela's has them $10 off right now.

Offline MFallon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:07 AM »
Buying the new Mojo ice rod was the best thing I've done in a while. I bought it for my GF for Xmas but when I got it, thought it looked very cheap and decided to return it and started building my own ice rods! I just wasn't impressed with the mojo. I'm sure some will like the unique design but certainly didn't feel like a $50 rod to me!

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2017, 01:36 PM »
Funny story about that......

I really like the st croix premier ice rods and was going to get a couple more of the longer models for lake trout.  Went looking this year and realized they had replaced the premiers with mojo, same thing they have done with a lot of their rod models.  Found the 36" M on sale at Cabelas, so figured I would try it.  Handle seemed to give a bit more sensitivity than the old cork handle that you have to tape the reel to, but I found my hands get colder a lot faster and it's harder to hold securely with a mitten on, which is a big problem for me as I always fish outside.

Bottom line, I liked the rod but not the handle.  First hook set on a nice lake trout, rod broke off where the blank enters the handle.  That type of break usually means manufacturing defect, so I could have returned the rod for sure.  Instead, I decided to go old school and do what I always used to do before there were so many ice rod options.  Cut a short section of dowel, drill a hole in the center, fill hole with epoxy, and slide the blank in.  Tape the reel in and good to go.  Now my hands stay warmer, easy to grip with a mitten on, and overall a much better rod, at least for me.

Offline Iceroach

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2017, 12:37 AM »
I ordered Mojo and Avid ML's. I generally prefer reel seats.  That being said, I prefer the Avid over the Mojo.  I like the eyes better and it just feels better to me.  The Mojo definitely has the softer action of the two, which could be good or bad.  The Avid also seemed a little stouter than a ML, the Mojo seemed pretty true to ML. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.