Author Topic: Periscope  (Read 6183 times)

Offline rockbass

• IceShanty Rookie
Periscope
« on: Jan 03, 2009, 07:51 AM »
Anyone know of a good periscope?  I'm looking for one that is portable yet can telescope to around 3 feet (or greater).  I think this would be a great alternative to the down-hole cameras.  No battery, lightweight, no fuss.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
Re: Periscope
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2009, 08:51 AM »
You could probably build one cheaper than you can buy one (if you can find one). I'd use some good old pvc and plexiglass along with a couple of mirrors from those makeup compacts. If you want one that telescopes it may get a little tough to keep from leaking.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2009, 08:51 AM »
make your own! You wont see much unless you are looking for pike or gar that roam under just under the ice. The nice thing about a camera is that you can see whats on the bottom. Or anywhere in between. You may also get a neck ache looking in your contraption.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline bus33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2009, 11:54 AM »
When I saw the title I thought you were gonna talk about one for looking out the top of your shack........picturing that makes me laugh. :laugh:

Offline rockbass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2009, 02:56 PM »
yeah, I will make a homemade one with PVC and vanity mirrors, and seal it well.  And now I'm laughing too, since if I go thru the trouble to make it for under the ice, i'll also have to use it through the vent in the top of my Ice Cube shanty!  HA! :D

Well I know it won't be better than a camera, but it will be nice if it works, even a little.  I bet it would work good in shallow (and CLEAR) water, with little to no snow cover (so sunlight can get down thru the ice) to spot weeds, maybe find some structure, maybe spot some bluegills or wandering predators.  And if it can do all those things, and never break down or run out of batteries, I'll be a happy man.

Offline webs820

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2009, 05:42 PM »
Out of the shanty is too funny.
"hey, check the tipups.... ok"....periscope out the roof and the quick scan!

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/mags/qf/c/PopularScience/8-1930/med_fish_periscope.jpg

Offline rockbass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2009, 07:44 AM »
on those real cold & windy days, the "shanty scope" will be great for checking tip-ups, especially when the windows fog up

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2009, 08:41 AM »
How about getting some PVC and glue on those screw connectors. That way you can make it 2, 3, 4, 5 ft (whatever you want) lengths. Then just screw them together as you push it down the hole. Im sure some teflon tape would seal it up.

Offline rockbass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2009, 10:39 AM »
How about getting some PVC and glue on those screw connectors. That way you can make it 2, 3, 4, 5 ft (whatever you want) lengths. Then just screw them together as you push it down the hole. Im sure some teflon tape would seal it up.

excellent idea!  and i realized there's no need for the top part to be waterproof, so I could make the viewing end swivel so i can sit on a bucket and keep the eyepiece steady yet still spin the rest of it to get a 360 view.  I'll see how it works without light, then maybe add an underwater light if need be.  thanks be to taint! 

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2009, 08:08 PM »
You might have to weight it down too.. If its water tight in the tube, it will like like trying to push an empty milk jug under the water. and if you let go it will go pop up and smack you in the eye!

Offline FISH BEWARE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2009, 05:42 PM »
You will shoot your eye out kid, now I don't care who you are, that last post was funny :laugh: :laugh:

Offline rockbass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2009, 05:57 PM »
You will shoot your eye out kid, now I don't care who you are, that last post was funny :laugh: :laugh:

they have all been pretty funny!  But I'll be the one laughing when my IceScope finds the missing fish!  muhahaha :flex: ;D
by the way, i did find a "pounds of ballast per foot of pipe" table.  so we're one step closer to the goal and one step further from a black eye.  you know I'll have to put black marker on the eyepiece and invite my good-humored angler friends to "have a peek"  :D

Offline FISH BEWARE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2009, 06:32 PM »
Hey I'm not knocking the idea, I'm a redneck inventor myself. Keep us posted on the progress of the eye popper. If it works good I may have to try my luck out as well.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2009, 04:49 PM »
I'm wondering how you are going to keep the condensation inside the scope from fogging up the mirrors. Maybe fill it with dry nitrogen???
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline icedflies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2009, 04:55 PM »
My brother has been working on the "poor man's aqua-vu" for a little while now.  I think the PVC needs to be black, to much light comes in on standard white pipe, and causes glare.... this is what I can remember from the "test" models.  I find it funny that someone else is working on one.

Offline rockbass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2009, 06:38 PM »
My brother has been working on the "poor man's aqua-vu" for a little while now.  I think the PVC needs to be black, to much light comes in on standard white pipe, and causes glare.... this is what I can remember from the "test" models.  I find it funny that someone else is working on one.

thanks, yooper!  I agree, and have read in various kids "make your own toy periscope" instructions that the inside needs to be painted black.  I haven't yet begun prototype construction, am wondering should I try 2" or 4" PVC, Sch 20 or 40... hmm i'll have to look around for black pvc also, not even sure if there is such a thing.  I know I can get black HDPE, but what I've seen isn't rigid enough.  We can't have any bending...

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2009, 11:24 AM »
When I saw the title I thought you were gonna talk about one for looking out the top of your shack........picturing that makes me laugh. :laugh:

Okay now I can just see someone launching torpedos from their shanty and blowing tipups out of the water. Oh the horrors of having too much time on your hands ...

NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline rockbass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2009, 11:35 AM »
Okay now I can just see someone launching torpedos from their shanty and blowing tipups out of the water. Oh the horrors of having too much time on your hands ...

NBG

we should start a new topic, "Shanty Defense" and figure out how to send torpedoes or remote-operated submarines under enemy territory. 
But seriously, I hope the periscope will be a useful ice fishing tool.  Fishing is not a war, but (if we're lucky) it's a battle!  I will begin periscope construction soon.  At the very least, it should be capable of seeing weedbeds/edges.  Lots of good comments & suggestions, thanks all.

Offline slabbercatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FISH ON !!!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2009, 07:37 PM »
a roll of duct tape should solve the glare problem..wrap the whole outside of it..as soon as i seen the title i had a picture of it in my head..im about to build one myself..you going with a two eye model or just one..i think im going for just one..but a two eye wouldnt be to hard...just duct tape two of them up...how about an update did yours work

Offline fritschsr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2009, 11:28 AM »
Rockbass,
Black plastic pipe in my neck of the woods is called ABS,
not all places around here carry it though.
Good Luck
If you don't know where you are going, when you get there, well there you are.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.