Author Topic: Eskimo Mako Recoil Problem - Anybody Else ??  (Read 6093 times)

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eskimo Mako Recoil Problem - Anybody Else ??
« on: Jan 10, 2011, 09:59 AM »
Anybody else having a problem with the Eskimo (Mako) Gas auger pull ropes breaking?  Got earlier this season & finally had a chance to get on the ice after Christmas yesterday. Started up in garage prior to going & I thought the rope looked a little flimsy & stretched too much. Handle is flimsly plastic as well. Actually, I opened the box when I got it & the handle was already broken in half.  Called Eskimo & they sent a new one pronto. 

Anyway, finally got to the ice & about the the 3rd pull.  SNAP!  No rope. Once got home, pulled the recoil off & it is pretty much impossible to wind.  Nothing like a lawn mower recoil.  The unit will come off to swap out, but if you take the middle screw out it is pretty impossible to re-wrap the coil & place in.  Anyway, in looking at the parts list, it comes as one unit so I presume will just have to get a new recoil unit.

My question, anyone have any luck recoiling after a broken rope or do you just get a new unit sent?  I am going to have one sent & prob pay for a back-up to swap out because I have a feeling of a 50/50 change of it breaking again with the crappy rope. I don't have a lot of confidence in the flimsy recoil system with the Eskimo & I haven't even got one hole drilled yet!   >:(

Offline 2fst4u

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Eskimo Mako Recoil Problem - Anybody Else ??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2011, 08:39 PM »
Have the same auger and no issues here.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2011, 02:33 AM »
I would call Eskimo and let them know about all of your concerns.

Could you have gotten a unit that had the recoil swapped out prior to your buying it?

It sounds weird that it would be broke in the box, and then break on the 3rd pull.
Maybe someone had already taken the recoil apart?

Hope you have a better ice season.

Wiener

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2011, 03:14 AM »
There is a technique to rewinding most recoil starters from chainsaws to snowmachines. First guess is your knot failed after you retied it. Get the procedure from Eskimo. You shouldn't have any more problems unless you pull super long on you stroke.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2011, 07:53 AM »
No issues with my MO. Handle is very sturdy also. As above I would contact Eskimo with your concerns.

Offline crappiepants

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2011, 10:40 AM »
I had same issue with my z51 but when rope broke so did the rest of recoil. I did try rebuilding it and I have done without issues on chainsaws and atv recoils but couldnt so ended up haveing to buy new recoil assembly Becareful when putting bolts on bottom of gas tank that hold top cover on. make sure little more then finger tight or you will have a leaky gas tank too. I just ordered my new tank direct from eskimo.The new recoil is $29

Offline feasanthunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2011, 06:37 PM »
 Just had to replace my recoil unit , the plastic guts shattered from the cold ( 15"f) . Must be a common problem because it's on the first page of Eskimos parts page.  If I traveled far to fish I would have a spare- I keep a hand auger in the truck.
are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle "Dixie"?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.