The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: cameras  (Read 2305 times)

Offline 307wayne

• IceShanty Rookie
cameras
« on: Jan 26, 2013, 02:59 PM »
wanting opinion's on underwater cameras  Thanks !

Offline Wind River Kid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((^)))*>
Re: cameras
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2013, 07:38 PM »
I have a Marcum 625SD and I love it. Never had a single problem with it. It is the only camera I have ever had so I don't really have a comparison. I'm sure some other guys will chime in with other cams.

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2013, 07:39 PM »
I think for the most part all of them are good, it all depends on the clarity of the water your putting it in that is the pain! But that's my 3 cents.

Offline Walleywizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2013, 08:08 PM »
Aqua-view mini , about the size of a smart phone they are handy and light.
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy fishing equipment and that's pretty much the same thing!!!

Fish like no other, so you can catch like no other.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2013, 08:35 PM »
Water clearity makes a huge difference from what i have heard.  I fish stained waters so i went with a fish finder instead.
Don

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2013, 12:32 AM »
Water clearity makes a huge difference from what i have heard.  I fish stained waters so i went with a fish finder instead.

Yes it is all to do with water clearity... Mine at Glendo in 35 - 40 FOW black shows nothing... Now a Grayrocks it is a little better... 30 FOW just off the bottom I can see about 4 ft around because of the sandy bottom... Now like Hattie it does not matter you can see forever with it, but you can see just as good looking down the hole from inside your hut... It looks just like a picture camera... Do not need one at hattie.... same with Granite and Crystal you cannot see like Hattie, but in 30 FOW you can see around 25 ft in all directions.... I have a --- Cabela's Advanced Anglers Fish Hunter Underwater Camera Upgraded with a Sony HAD II CCD waterproof, sealed camera
Fish-imitating camera housing
Flat-screen color TFT LCD monitor
Choose from a large 7" display or an enormous 10" display
They are on sale right now for
Regular Price:  $349.99 - sale price 7" $249.99 
Regular Pride:  $479.99 sale price 10" $279.99
Mine works good about 8 hr of steady output... but depends on temp outside... but it still goes back to the water clearity... If I could do it over I would get the one with the camera and the sonar all in one so you have both.. but I would say for a good one Vexilar Double Vision/Flasher Combo about $1050 or a MarCum LX-9 Sonar/Camera Combo for about $1200 not cheap.... or I would go with a Sonar only I really do not think after owning a camera outfit that you could do better with just a Sonar....mostly from $400 to $700 hope this help ... benwyo

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2013, 06:28 PM »
I have a Marcum 625SD and I love it. Never had a single problem with it. It is the only camera I have ever had so I don't really have a comparison. I'm sure some other guys will chime in with other cams.

So you use yours for lakers around Pinedale?  How deep do you set it and how far can you see? 

The last thing I need is more fishing gear, but those cameras seem cool  ;D

Offline Wind River Kid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((^)))*>
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2013, 07:53 PM »
So you use yours for lakers around Pinedale?  How deep do you set it and how far can you see? 

The last thing I need is more fishing gear, but those cameras seem cool  ;D

I only use it for lakers around here. It has become an invaluable tool for me. It comes with 80ft of cable but I rarely fish that deep. I have used it up to 60ft and it worked fine. I hang it by its fin so it hangs straight down giving you a birdseye view of your jig and the fish. I usually hang it around ten feet from the bottom. It really lets you see the fishes reaction to the jig. I increased my hooksets by tenfold by being able to see the jig in the fishes mouths. It is hard to see the screen on really bright days but works great in a tent or at dusk or dawn. Dorado you are more than welcome to borrow mine for a day or so to see if you like it before you spend the money.

Offline DMATT307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:56 AM »
I wonder if people use them on Faming Gorge or if the water clarity prevents it. Would be fun to watch fish reaction to jig.
Women Want Me Fish Fear Me

Offline lippy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2013, 04:24 PM »
WRK do you have any trouble with it getting tangled in tour line when you get a fish on?

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2013, 04:36 PM »
I only use it for lakers around here. It has become an invaluable tool for me. It comes with 80ft of cable but I rarely fish that deep. I have used it up to 60ft and it worked fine. I hang it by its fin so it hangs straight down giving you a birdseye view of your jig and the fish. I usually hang it around ten feet from the bottom. It really lets you see the fishes reaction to the jig. I increased my hooksets by tenfold by being able to see the jig in the fishes mouths. It is hard to see the screen on really bright days but works great in a tent or at dusk or dawn. Dorado you are more than welcome to borrow mine for a day or so to see if you like it before you spend the money.

That is very generous.  I would be afriad my dog would pee on it or it would fall down the hole! 

Maybe some weekend we could meet up, and I could see it in action.....

Offline Wind River Kid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((^)))*>
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2013, 07:19 PM »
WRK do you have any trouble with it getting tangled in tour line when you get a fish on?

I always drill the camera its own hole about 2' from the hole I'm fishing. MOST fish come up without getting tangled but you do have the occasional rodeo...

Maybe some weekend we could meet up, and I could see it in action.....

Sounds like a plan.

Offline Houligan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:13 PM »
@benwyo

Maybe something to consider when buying the multi depth/camera units. If you ever have a break down and need to return you are out both units at the same time. With separate units at least one would still be in your possession should an issue arise.

I too have been looking at the all in one units but for some reason the above is making sense to me and am shopping for the camera now. I just bought the depth finder.

Cheers! 

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:17 PM »
Awesome point hooligan, i snapped off a dial on my flasher this weekend, so that's a great point
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2013, 12:06 AM »
@benwyo

Maybe something to consider when buying the multi depth/camera units. If you ever have a break down and need to return you are out both units at the same time. With separate units at least one would still be in your possession should an issue arise.

I too have been looking at the all in one units but for some reason the above is making sense to me and am shopping for the camera now. I just bought the depth finder.

Cheers!

Thanks for the heads-up Houligan.... I never thought about that, so now that I have a camera.... My next purchase will be a sonar unit.... See this is why it is good to talk on the shanty becasue you will learn from the best...  Thanks again my friend..... benwyo.....

Offline Houligan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:49 AM »
No problem!

Its still up to preference and the dual units are nice plus save space. Wouldn't want to talk anyone out of buying one. Suggestion was made because most don't even consider the failure aspect of electronics. For the most part its a matter of when they fail.

Also we all want to go out and buy the newest. most recent on the market. Sometimes its good to let them ride for a season or two for the gremlins to come out and show themselves. Though most companies stand behind their products and have excellent customer service for replacement/repair, then its the downtime in our fishing.

Its amazing, once we get our electronic pacifier and have to do without, makes one feel like they are out on the ice naked.... ;) 

Cheers!

Offline WyoMinFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2013, 09:18 AM »
Fished with Marcum LX-9 2 weeks ago on Oahe by Mobridge.  Fantastic unit, fishing 40 FOW on the big muddy could only see about 10 feet in all directions.  Being computer based, any upgrades are downloadable and the LCD screen was fantastic picture.  Price tag is a major downfall, $1200 bones..... thinking of selling my Vex!!

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2013, 12:28 AM »
No problem!

Its still up to preference and the dual units are nice plus save space. Wouldn't want to talk anyone out of buying one. Suggestion was made because most don't even consider the failure aspect of electronics. For the most part its a matter of when they fail.

Also we all want to go out and buy the newest. most recent on the market. Sometimes its good to let them ride for a season or two for the gremlins to come out and show themselves. Though most companies stand behind their products and have excellent customer service for replacement/repair, then its the downtime in our fishing.

Its amazing, once we get our electronic pacifier and have to do without, makes one feel like they are out on the ice naked.... ;) 

Cheers!

Your right but I already have a camera and I was thinking about the duel unit... But having a camera already all I need to do is buy a sonar for around $500 You just saved me $700 my friend......

Offline Houligan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:56 AM »
Right on...

I wonder if the dual units are actually dual units or two separate units in the same bundle/bag? Never thought about this.

Cheers!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.