The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Eskimo Ice auger...  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Wyomingfish

• IceShanty Rookie
Eskimo Ice auger...
« on: Dec 27, 2012, 12:18 PM »
 ???Does anyone else have terrible luck with these augers. My brother and i have went through 2 of them. The first one the rope ripped right out the second time starting it up. And cant be wound back up. You have to by the part. Then the other one the exact same thing happened. Brand new augers. So we got a Jiffy.   

Offline wyoiceguy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Eskimo Ice auger...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2012, 12:27 PM »
What kind of eskimo auger? I just got the mako 43cc one and i havent ran into that problem yet and i hope i dont.
Fish On!!! Will it make book?

Offline wyoboypt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2012, 12:49 PM »
i got the shark and it did the same thing the second year. its easy to replace but really irritating when you have more holes to drill. im gonna see if their new pull start will fit. if it does im gonna buy it. supposed to be way less pulling power required. maybe it wont rip out then. the auger is great though. ris through the ice fast.

Offline Wyomingfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2012, 01:20 PM »
Yeah we would have had to wait 6 weeks to get the part even in to replace it.

Offline Wyomingfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2012, 01:26 PM »
It was a good auger, we did about 16 holes with it. Well you can re spool it but then you have to take it apart again because it wouldnt retract the rope...Thats a pain if it doesnt start first pull.

Offline Wyomingfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2012, 01:28 PM »
I can tell you it was NOT the Mako. That one seems pretty decent from what i have seen on youtube.

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2012, 01:54 PM »
My Mako is great but my jiffy 30 "old school" is also. I've had a few problems with both of them here and there. Especially with my jiffiy but after fine tunning it she runs like a champ but smokes and is very loud compared to the mako. Why I have two? I wanted a 10" hole after I bought my jiffy with a 8". Now its nice to have a back up when needed or in big groups. Back in the day I had to hand drill but I have 3 of thouse little devils. Around and around we go down the ice hole. Then fall over no equilibrium or have to sit/crawl for a while. Had to do it with speed, LOL waisting to much time drilling.  @)
No one left behind.     

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2012, 03:33 PM »
3rd season on my Z71 Eskimo and I love it.  I do have a compression release button that aids in starting. 
Don

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2012, 05:08 PM »
i've had a mako 43 since 2004 and have never had a serius problem but i always summerize it and check it out about a month before ice season starts.
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2012, 06:01 PM »
I have the mako 43 as well. It cuts great but I have had to replace the recoil two years ago because the spring broke, I just remapped the screw that holds the air filter on because the screw stripped out, I just ordered a new tube and fuel filter for it because the fuel line broke off inside the tank( on the ice I might add) and I just noticed the same recoil head I replaced a couple of years ago has a crack in the metal. I'm over it this year and plan on going back to a strike master auger next year.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2012, 06:07 PM »
I've had my Mako since 2003 and no problems.  The only thing I've done to is is replace the spark plug and blades.  I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Offline weak-ling

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Get off the computer and fish.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2012, 07:51 PM »
Iv had the mako 43 for three years now my pull string broke last year but was used alot between three of us easily over 100 holes the first year alone.  It might be just me but id take my mako over the jiffy

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2012, 08:02 PM »
3rd season with my Mako and i like it a lot.

Offline Wyomingfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2012, 08:13 PM »
We use my brothers Jiffy now. We have another Jiffy that I use when he is not around. Its A Jiffy 30, made in 1986. Thing still works. Wish we would have looked it up before we got that Eskimo. After it happened and we looked it up it was countless people talking about the recoil pin breaking and having to replace it for it just to break the next time they went out.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2012, 09:05 PM »
back in the very early 90's my Mom got my dad a strikemaster magnum III, it has 49cc's.  Why do I remember this because I was still in my early teens.  Any how first time out on the lake he went to start it and the second pull the recoil snapped on it. 

So we all spent taking turns on the hand auger through 18 inches of ice so we could set up our tipups and fish.

That same auger ate recoils, after 4-5 of them he stopped using the gas auger and bought a 6" lazer hand auger which he still uses today.

Looking back at how that thing started it has alot of compression and would kick back, if you didn't pull the pull cord fast enough it would snap the recoil.
Don

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2012, 12:25 PM »
Heck you have a jiffy now all you have to worry about is catchin fish :thumbsup: I wouldnt even look back on the other one, I had 2 strikemasters and got fed up with the new one not starting among other issues and I sold my old one which I regret cuz it ran awsome lol I bought a 3 hp 9'' and its awsome I bought it from a guy I fish with so I was there since it was new and its always started and ran great I would never own anything else. 
I admit it I am an Ice O Holic

(Fish) it's what's for dinner

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.