Author Topic: cooking on ice  (Read 3009 times)

Offline bowhuntken

• Team IceShanty Regular
cooking on ice
« on: Oct 10, 2008, 11:12 AM »
what type of grill does every one use ? right now i use a perfectflow stove one
burner unit by coleman, easy to use just screw on to throw away propane tank
have been looking for something a little bigger  any suggestions
                                                                                  thanks ken
usmc 1989-1993

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
Re: cooking on ice
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2008, 11:16 AM »
Coleman camp stove, 2 burner.

Offline DannyBoy09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2008, 11:52 AM »
 I have had goodluck with a Coleman RoadTrip on the ice. :P :P

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2008, 12:00 PM »
One suggestion I can give you is this:  Vacu sealers will give you an extra hour a day to fish.  I use my vacusealer and cook up all sorts of reheatable stuff.  Most you can reaheat by simply melting snow (or use lake water) and heat to boiling on your camp stove:

You can brown sausage, eggs, onions, peppers. etc.  Vacu and freeze.  Vacu some tortillas. Bring a bag of shredder cheese.  Awseome breakfast burritos..no utensils, no paper plates, no nothing.  Heat eggs and stuff in boiling water. Add tortillas for the last minute...cut open bags and make the burritos + cheese.  Trash = 2 vacu bags.  You can do this with hot wings, steak, brats, burgers...all things that require napkin (at most).  Best part is that there is no odor.  Cook away in your portable or wherever.  
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline ALASKANSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY TIME!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2008, 02:24 PM »
brinkman dual burner stand up, propane

Offline bowhuntken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2008, 03:55 PM »
One suggestion I can give you is this:  Vacu sealers will give you an extra hour a day to fish.  I use my vacusealer and cook up all sorts of reheatable stuff.  Most you can reaheat by simply melting snow (or use lake water) and heat to boiling on your camp stove:

You can brown sausage, eggs, onions, peppers. etc.  Vacu and freeze.  Vacu some tortillas. Bring a bag of shredder cheese.  Awseome breakfast burritos..no utensils, no paper plates, no nothing.  Heat eggs and stuff in boiling water. Add tortillas for the last minute...cut open bags and make the burritos + cheese.  Trash = 2 vacu bags.  You can do this with hot wings, steak, brats, burgers...all things that require napkin (at most).  Best part is that there is no odor.  Cook away in your portable or wherever.  
that is a realy good idea i will definitely have to try that out thanks
usmc 1989-1993

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2008, 06:19 PM »
I just use a sunflower heater/cooker for soup or a can of veggies. I leave the grilling to my buddies son.

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2008, 06:23 PM »
I use a Coleman double burner, and a Dutch oven with coals from the fire or Kingsford charcoal. The Dutch Oven is great for those windy days when the Coleman keeps blowing out. We usually make stew or chowder in it.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2008, 10:43 PM »
Our favourite meal in these parts is the good ole Bacon n Egg McMuffin... home cooked of course.  Cooked bacon, nuked egg, and a slice of processed cheese in an english muffin... cook and assemble in tinfoil the night before and then throw em on the Mr Buddy 'til the foil is pumpin out the steam... I live for 2-3 of these after a morning flurry of walleye in the Fish Trap  ;)

Don

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2008, 08:24 AM »
Coleman two burner works great for me I have a grill plate that lays over the burners for bacon and eggs or hamburgers, hot dogs etc. works like a champ. I have cooked chili stews, soups this thing does it all and is small and easy to tote with my gear. :tipup:

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline bowhuntken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2008, 10:53 AM »
I use a Coleman double burner, and a Dutch oven with coals from the fire or Kingsford charcoal. The Dutch Oven is great for those windy days when the Coleman keeps blowing out. We usually make stew or chowder in it.
here in new york a dutch oven is holding someones head under the covers, you might be a redneck if
usmc 1989-1993

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2008, 12:26 PM »
I have a coleman two burner for longer 2+ days trips, but I also have a turkey fryer burner that I use with a fish fry pan for most shore lunches, hooked up to a propaine tank and away you go.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2008, 01:19 PM »
I have a two burner camp stove. I also have a roll top table for when I don't have my pickup on the ice and when it is there I cook on the tailgate. My fishing buddy makes deer sausage and vacuum packs it so I can boil it in the bag. I also have a griddle if I need it.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.