Author Topic: re-heat a meal - louisianna style  (Read 2050 times)

Offline teacup13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i need to go fishin'
re-heat a meal - louisianna style
« on: Feb 21, 2007, 09:24 AM »
yah i know there is no ice down there but i spend a good part of the year down there and love their food...this one you can reheat and it will stick to your ribs

Louisiana Red Beans & Rice

1 pound dried red beans
10 cups water (or more)
1 ham bone or ham hock
1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
6 garlic cloves, crushed
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped scallions
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon Worcestershire
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon Creole/Cajun seasoning, such as Tony Chachere’s
Crushed red pepper to taste
Lemon juice, just a splash
Tabasco sauce to taste
4 cups hot cooked rice

Rinse beans well and drain them in a colander. If you remember to cover them with water and let them soak overnight, great. Otherwise, place beans in a large pot, cover them with water and "fast soak" by bringing to a boil and letting them stand off of the heat, covered, for 1 hour. Return the beans to the stove, add ham bone, garlic, onions, bell pepper and seasonings. Bring mixture to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cook very slowly, partially covered, for 1 1/2 hours. Stir the entire mixture just once about every half hour. Add the smoked sausage and cook another hour, partially covered. Beans are ready to serve when a rich natural "gravy" is formed. (In case you’re tempted to omit the ham bone or ham hock, don’t that’s what gives the liquid it’s creamy consistency.) Serve over rice with garlic bread. How many hungry people will this recipe feed? Well, that depends…at least 4, maybe up to 8. How hungry are they?

Lots of folks like to dress up their red beans by topping them with sliced scallions, and maybe even grated cheese. If that sounds good to you, do it! But please, don't serve this dish without good, crusty hot French bread, or maybe even garlic bread. Man, dat's good, yeah!

Offline mich-fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • bucket is half full
Re: re-heat a meal - louisianna style
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2007, 09:29 AM »
I'm not a big bean fan but a good jumbalya(spelling) is an awesome rib sticker on a all day fishing adventure.And dont forget the mud-bugs.
IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/MattGski/teammichigan.gif[/img][IMG]

Offline teacup13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i need to go fishin'
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2007, 09:43 AM »
i wasnt a big bean fan either until i went down south.... when you eat these it is not like eating beans

it's like, it's like...darn its good..lol

Hush Puppies

2 cups yellow corn flower
1 cup plain flour
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 cup bacon grease
1 jalapeno chopped and seeded if you dont want it hot

oil for deep frying

Mix all of the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add your eggs, oil, and buttermilk. Stir it all up until the flavors are thoroughly blended.

Turn your fryer on medium-high heat (350F). When it's hot you can drop your hush puppies in using a tablespoon. Allow them to brown on all sides. They should begin floating when done, but if they don't, don't overcook them.

Offline MacEnvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2007, 10:06 AM »
That sounds great!  I have one I do with black beans that's good too.  You can do it in a crock pot, which is helpful if you have to work the day before you fish.
----------
1 bag black beans, soaked overnight and drained
1.5 cups cut corn
1 cup ham, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cups water
1 bay leaf
1 Tbs garlic powder
1 Tbs oregano
1 Tbs boullion (any flavor, but ham is best)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Put all ingredients in a crock pot and mix well.  Cook on low for 12 hours or high for 8 hours.  Enjoy with fresh bread.
----------

Yes, it really does need to cook that long.  The black beans make their own "gravy" but only if they cook long enough.  Once this is done cooking, it can go right in a thermos.  It tastes about as good reheated as fresh, too.

My wife doesn't like beans much, but even she loves this.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2007, 11:26 AM »
Ain't it somethin how Yankees have never heard of and don't like red beans and rice!  Every Monday night!
Follow the bubbles...

Offline teacup13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i need to go fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2007, 04:17 PM »
Ain't it somethin how Yankees have never heard of and don't like red beans and rice!  Every Monday night!

down south red beans and rice was known as a washday meal... women would but a pot on the back of the old woodstove and let it cook while they were doing the wash...

definatly one of my favorite meals and i am originally from canada..lol

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2007, 02:18 PM »
aaaeeee....sounds good!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.