Author Topic: Canned venison?  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
Canned venison?
« on: Oct 26, 2006, 07:46 PM »
Anybody ever can venison?? How to? Had some last week and it was excellent.
Thanks,

Robb :tipup:

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Canned venison?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2006, 08:06 PM »
Anybody ever can venison?? How to? Had some last week and it was excellent.
Thanks,

I've never put any up myself, and the first time I saw it in the jar I thought it looked like crap, but after they cooked it I found it was great...a nice way to use up those bits and pieces of the tougher cuts......Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

camo_fish

« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2006, 08:14 PM »
My father's wife did some up last year and Holly cow it was excellent. I'll work on getting the recipe for ya. I'll see if I can get it, there down in VA.

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2006, 07:01 AM »
Thanks. I am looking for a pressure cooker on ebay. Hopefully I'll have a recipe and cooker soon.

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2006, 08:48 AM »
I'm going to can lots of them ;)2.

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2006, 08:57 AM »
I usually can some every year. All I do is pack it in a mason jar, add some water(about 1/2 full) maybe put a table spoon of salt in  with it  then follow the canning instructions for meat. If you've only eaten it and not seen it in the jar don't look at it  :sick: My favorite way to prepare it is to just drain off the water, roll in seasoned flour and quickly brown in a skillet with butter. Just remember to be gentle when turning the peices in the skillet as they will fall apart ;)
       Jim

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2006, 10:15 AM »
Mmmmm, good.  Basically, just seal venison chunks in a pint jar with a teaspoon of salt or a beef boulion cube, no water necessary.  Pressure cook at 10 pounds for 1 hour and 15 minutes.  When you open the jar remove the tallow (all the tallow will form a waxy layer on top of the jar) and serve.  Flake the chunks with a couple forks and serve on bread with mayo or honey mustard.  Excellent stuff.  I also like to make up a small pot of Au Jus (powdered mix stuff) and simmer the flaked venison in the Au Jus for a couple minutes.  Spoon it up on a bun and enjoy.  It's also great to use for taco meat.  The same thing can be done with those tough old gobblers you shoot next spring.

kc17
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2006, 07:10 PM »
Grew up eating the stuff, follow KC17's recipe.  We usually cut the meat into 1" to 1 1/2" cubes and then put some beef tallow cubes on top of the meat to make it a little more moist.  Also try mixing Au Jus and taco seasoning in the jar before you can it, or throw some diced bacon in there or liquid smoke.  You don't need as much seasoning as you usually use, the meat really sucks the flavor up during canning.  Just keep trying different things.  One thing that helps is to glue the recipe to each jar so that you will know what worked good  :thumbsup: and what didn't :sick:.
Darkhouse

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2006, 04:38 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm looking for a nice pressure cooker.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2006, 08:11 AM »
Check yard sales and second hand stores, you can usually get them fairly cheap.
Darkhouse

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.