Author Topic: who uses..  (Read 1543 times)

Offline frozenstiff

• IceShanty Rookie
who uses..
« on: Feb 05, 2006, 08:16 PM »
A vacuum sealer to store there fish to put it in the freezer. have been thinking about getting one but don't know if it would be worth it. if you vacuum fish does it last for a long time in the freezer. lastly what model vacuum sealer are you using and what other things do you use it for? thanks Frozen

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
Re: who uses..
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2006, 12:06 AM »
I use the food saver.  Buy on of the top end models.  They work great.  Make sure your filets are dry before sealing.  It will keep the bag from not sealing.  I payed $130 for mine and it is worth every penny.

Offline qflies001

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fish on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2006, 12:36 PM »
i had my best luck with the fish by freezing them first then vacuming them.but easier to just use a ziplock and water................. .......... good fishing hope you fill the freezer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline BlindSquirrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2006, 09:02 AM »
what model vacuum sealer are you using and what other things do you use it for?

I have a Food Saver as well and I wouldn’t even think of wrapping something up in freezer paper or freezing it in standard bags again.  If you ever freeze any meat products or vegetables or whatever, this should be a standard appliance in your kitchen.

Venison is probably the thing I use mine for the most, with chicken close behind.  Also, sausages, hotdogs, hamburger patties, ect….  If I make a large batch of chili or soup, I freeze the rest in containers, pop out the frozen product and seal it in a bag.

If stopping freezer burn is not a good enough reason to use a vacuum sealer, consider the ease of thawing vacuum sealed food.  Fill the sink half way up with warm water, and throw the package in.  Come back 15 minutes later.  (Do not use very hot water because it could start to cook it.)

I did this last night with hamburger.  I got home from work, took a package of hamburger out of the freezer, did the sink trick, by the time I changed my clothes it was thawed and ready to cook.

One last trick I have learned.  When freezing hamburger, form it into a ball, seal it in an oversized bag, then smooth the ball out until the hamburger is uniformly flat and takes up the whole bag.  It stacks better in the freezer and thaws quicker this way.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2006, 07:19 PM »
I cant agree more. I bought mine last year, when I bought a smoker and started to do jerky, and I would go back. works great.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.