Author Topic: FAMOUS $100,000.00 Perch Roll Recipe  (Read 7506 times)

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
FAMOUS $100,000.00 Perch Roll Recipe
« on: Jan 13, 2006, 02:52 PM »
Hi all!
I'm a Team Manitoba Member and I was asked by our newest Moderator, Skiff, to post this recipe .....which has become a BIG hit here  :)
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

I'll give you the $100,000.00 recipe. This is a TRUE story.....stuff of legends where I'm from. I'll have to give you a little history first......bear with me!

HISTORY:
The place is Cornwall, Ontario (my birthplace) which is situated along the St Lawrence River in southeastern Ontario.Perch is #1 there...ahead of walleye!
Many boat/snowmobile access restaurants and bars are situated along this stretch of scenic riverfront. Legend has it that a woman named Marie started preparing "fish rolls"  for her patrons. Usually accompanied by "fresh-cut" fries these perch rolls became FAMOUS....sorta like "Skinners Hot Dogs".....Many restaurants around tried to imitate her recipe but failed to duplicate the secret sauce she used on them. She always used fresh hot dog buns which she cut off the tops and bottoms. She then spread butter on the top and bottom and grilled them like you do a grilled cheese. Next came the buttered fried perch fillets filling the hot bun and smothered "her" secret sauce on top of that...............MOU TH WATERING STUFF!!!!

The demand was so great that I was approached at dockside many times to see if I had any perch filets for sale as there was no netting involved around there. (at the time).
My brother paid for part of his University education selling perch filets back then (70's) for $3 a lb.
My friend fished all season and sold his fllets in bulk ......which in turn he used the money to buy a bigger and better boat! 
There was money to be made if you were a dedicated angler. Most people used a homemade pickeral rig kinda thing.

Marie's place was a dump to say the least. It was built on stilts, right on the river's edge. Nearing retirement, she decided to sell the place. No one wanted the place unless it came with her recipe! Last I heard, a buyer paid her $300,000.00 for the business which included $100,000.00 just for the recipe! Unbelievable but true! Marie was able to guard her secret for all those years because SHE was the only one allowed to be in the kitchen when she made the sauce! (after hours).
The new owners were not so fortunate in keeping this thing a secret. I guess they were not "hands-on" owners like Marie.

So, one day I too, got the recipe and have shared it with many. Those that know about Marie often ask me "HOW DID YOU GET THIS RECIPE?" Funny, I don't recall how it came to me......I guess I was in shock!!!! 

Here it is:

Recipe Name :Perch roll Sauce

1 tin sweetened condensed milk   
1/2 cup vinegar   
1/4 cup oil (Mazola)   
1 tsp cayenne pepper   
2 egg yolks   
2 cups Miracle Whip Salad Dressing

Mix all together by hand. Mix well.
Portion and freeze extra  sauce for later use.
Pan fry perch filets and place them on a hot dog bun.
Apply fish sauce as topping.

Marie's Eastern Ontario's Special Fish Roll Sauce

SIMPLE & DELICIOUS

ENJOY
From my kitchen to yours.....
Blue Igloo 
PS I've decided to post it on the forum.........too good not to share!

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
Re: FAMOUS $100,000.00 Perch Roll Recipe
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2006, 01:53 PM »
Wow!  That sounds great!!  I will have to try that this weekend!

Ranger :tipup:

Offline trainwreck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2006, 06:20 PM »
Are the perch filet's breaded in any way or are they just fried in butter?

Offline tomg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2006, 09:47 AM »
Tried the sauce. It is good but.............thats all it is good, not great. Thats my taste anyways.  I will make it again. It does make a lot so I would recommend dividing the recipe in half .

bonkfan14

« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2006, 09:35 AM »
sounds good ill ty some and reply back...zeke

Offline Nitro_372

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2006, 04:11 PM »
tried this recipe last week its OK would try it again though :tipup:

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2006, 06:06 AM »
Sounds pretty good untill you get to the egg yolks. Raw in a cold sauce?
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2006, 06:07 AM »
If you are going to fry your perch in oil, I use canola oil, wet the filet in water, cover it with flour. Then cover it with a scrambled egg slurry, then dip it in a bowl of Kikkoman Panko bread crumbs. Fry the fish till it browns up and serve. This is the best fish fry you'll ever taste. The secret is the Panko bread crumbs, available in the Asian section of a supermarket.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

grumpymoe

« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2006, 09:10 PM »
Blue.....I know I'm going to get it from you when we fish again.....but for what its worth.......Mayo is Mayo.....I'll eat my perch pan fried without the overkill and buns....Grump....its O.K.  ;D

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2006, 03:29 PM »
The filets are not breaded or coated in the recipe.
Yes, you can cut down on the recipe size.
Raw eggs haven't killed me or anyone I know??
You can spice it up if so desired.
This recipe is good for kids who enjoy the sweet taste of a perch roll.
Pan fried perch is good (old hat) but a change is nice once in awhile....that's why they make so many flavours of Jello.....remember the special way the buns are prepared......it's not just a bun??
Too bad there isn't more iceshanty members from eastern Ontario who can attest to this recipe.
Oh well....bon appetit!
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.