Author Topic: Shore Lunch grill/recipe?  (Read 6898 times)

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
Re: Shore Lunch grill/recipe?
« Reply #30 on: Oct 15, 2013, 09:57 PM »
one of the best sides to cook for any meal on the grill is a classic hobo!

take some tinfoil and lay out a length about 18 inches long and take a stick of butter and rub that puppy down in a big oval in the middle.
cut up some potatoes into cubes and salt and pepper them, spread them out on the foil on the oval of butter
dice onion and toss on the top
cut up some bell peppers and toss them on
add some lawreys salt on top of all that.
cut up some carrots and some celery and chuck them across the top.
take a sip of beer and put the beer back down on the table.
if you would like now is when you add chunks of ground beef or cubes of steak, or cut hunks of polish sausage.
now cut little pads of butter and set them on the top of this mount of goodness
more salt and pepper or whatever seasoning you want.

now butter another sheet of foil and set it on the top, roll the edges up real tight and crimp them and pinch them to seal the baby up
you can cook this right on the grill or right on the coals of a fire and it is freaking delicious. i really like them for camping etc because you
can pre make them at the house and throw them into the cooler and there is no set up out on the ice or at camp, and if you add your meat, steak or polish sausage into it then its a one stop shop for a whole meal.
been making those for years!!carried them in our packs when hunting-stop build a fire and eat. we named them "PIPE BOMBS" though as they were more round.can get pretty creative with them too,we would use thanksgiving leftovers and use water for some of the butter.
gonna try it on the ice this year for sure!!

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #31 on: Oct 15, 2013, 10:44 PM »
Hey everybody,

It's that time of year again, where we all start to pull out our ice gear, restring the reels, and take a last-minute inventory and see what else we "need" before the season gets under way. (REAL SOON I hope!)

Well, I just completed all of the aforementioned, and have come to the conclusion that I need a portable grill for this season! I can't even begin to explain how much it sucks to fish all day on an empty stomach (potato chips and sunflower seeds just don't get it done for me.) In addition, there is nothing I hate more than having to pack everything up, and head into the nearest town for lunch.

I have been thinking that it would be awesome to have some fresh fish while out on the ice! (Adds extra incentive to catch them if you're hungry!) The only problem is, I don't have a grill!

I would have to imagine that some people on here have indulged in a shore lunch or two during their ice fishing tenure, and I am wondering if anyone is willing to throw any recommendations my way (for both grills and favorite recipes.)

It seems most people I have seen in videos use lard, or canola oil in a cast iron skillet. Add your favorite batter to your fish and cook away. Is that the general consensus around here too?

Thanks everybody, and bring on the hard water!

Icefisher40

Not a shore lunch if you are standing on the water!

That said, I would recommend the Weber propane grills.  A small version can still, hooked up to 1 lb propane bottles, cook steaks for scads.

My .02s.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #32 on: Oct 15, 2013, 11:58 PM »
Not a shore lunch if you are standing on the water!

That said, I would recommend the Weber propane grills.  A small version can still, hooked up to 1 lb propane bottles, cook steaks for scads.

My .02s.

Touché!  ;D

Are you referring to the Weber Go Anywhere! Series?

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #33 on: Oct 16, 2013, 01:02 AM »
been making those for years!!carried them in our packs when hunting-stop build a fire and eat. we named them "PIPE BOMBS" though as they were more round.can get pretty creative with them too,we would use thanksgiving leftovers and use water for some of the butter.
gonna try it on the ice this year for sure!!

yeah the butter is just to add some flavor to all those healthy foods ;D but i also get some of those aluminum banana bread disposable things from the dollar store to cook in out on the ice, they work great for throwing chili and leftovers in and cook them right on the heater.

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #34 on: Oct 16, 2013, 02:49 AM »
I have 2 grills.  The Coleman Tailgate grill that I use for smaller groups of 3 - 4.  I also have a Coleman Roadtrip grill that I use for bigger groups.  If I remember correctly, the Colemans put out more BTU s than the Weber, which I was looking for due to the cold weather cooking.  At times I will also bring out the fish cooker / turkey fryer to deep fry fish, or make hot wings, boil sausage etc..   

On the grills, I will make burgers, & brats, or bring some ribs that I smoked that just need to be heated up, along with some home made bbq sauce.    This year I plan to grill some pork steak, and also cook some breakfast dishes on the grill.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Oct 16, 2013, 07:41 AM »
We use any number of cooking devices on the ice. I use a Weber kettle grill with natural hardwood charcoal. I have two sizes, sometimes if it's a big group I will pack out the big one, but most of the time it's the Baby Weber that comes along. Chimney starter for the coals- no lighter fluid allowed! We also bring a small Coleman type stove for coffee and a fry pan.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline kevin1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Oct 16, 2013, 05:20 PM »
speaking of grills i had an idea after looking for a smaller portable grill that wouldn't take up much room and would just cook a couple burgers or brats,
So i modded an old one we don't use anymore, it will fit in a milk crate with the bottle so it keeps the mess off the other equipment

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #37 on: Oct 16, 2013, 09:10 PM »
If yur looking just to cook a quick meal for yourself you could go with a back packers stove instead af a grill or a single burner stove that fits on top of a green 1 lbd tank. To save space and less weight.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #38 on: Oct 16, 2013, 09:49 PM »
If yur looking just to cook a quick meal for yourself you could go with a back packers stove instead af a grill or a single burner stove that fits on top of a green 1 lbd tank. To save space and less weight.

Stupid question, but would that be able to warm up a cast iron skillet hot enough to cook the fish?

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #39 on: Oct 16, 2013, 11:22 PM »
Over the last fifty years or so, we have been using a very simple, small portable charcoal grill that folds up to a compact size.  Before we leave home, we pre-load it with paper and charcoal, and carry the whole thing in a plastic shopping bag tied closed at the top.
We have cooked steaks, brats, chicken, burgers, chili, bacon/eggs, and a dozen other "shore lunches", but, strangely enough, we have never cooked the fish we caught on the ice.
 All of our foods are "prepared" at home and are ready for the hot coals when lunchtime rolls around.                                                                                                 

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #40 on: Oct 17, 2013, 07:26 AM »
Stupid question, but would that be able to warm up a cast iron skillet hot enough to cook the fish?

A backpackers stove might not but the single burner that goes on top of a 1 lb green take would heat it up with no problem.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.