Author Topic: Roe and livers  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Timetofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Roe and livers
« on: Mar 05, 2017, 10:38 AM »
Do you eat the roe and livers from pike, pickerel? Never tried it.

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Roe and livers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2017, 10:44 AM »
We always eat the pike livers.  Carefully separate the gall, lighty dust them in cracker crumbs or crushed corn flakes, and fry quickly. They are delicious, no fishy taste at all, and loaded with goodness. 

Burbot livers are the supreme delicacy up here.  I take them to my most elderly First Nations friends, as they are always so very happy to get them.  Caught seven last night, and will be delivering the livers today after church.

Ted

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2017, 02:40 PM »
Burbot livers are better for you than cod liver. I haven't had the nerve to try them yet myself. I don't even like caviar so I won't eat the Roe either but I know a guy that fries them in butter. I do use them for chum and the results are mixed. Some days there seems to be a lot of fish around others its dead just like any other day of fishing.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2017, 05:51 PM »
interesting   tempted to try that, but just tempted not committed

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2017, 08:27 PM »
 i've friend up perch eggs when we didn't get enough fillets for supper.  with the appropriate amount of beer i'd do it again.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2017, 08:51 PM »
I've fried perch egg to make pasta. Not as good as hen egg. There is little taste.

I've also done quick and brief fry of pike and burbot livers. Pike liver is firmer and can be made as stir-fry. Burbot liver is too soft and quickly turns into oil. USE a paper towel to dry it before frying. Don't eat too much to get vitamin A & D overdose. I prefer the taste of pike liver.

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2017, 08:55 PM »
... I prefer the taste of pike liver.

Us, as well.  Of all the fish livers, pike is the best.

Ted

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2017, 09:23 PM »
Bottarga is salted and cured fish roe.  You can read about it here. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/in-search-of-bottarga/article22394929/

Pay special attention to the price, $240.00/ kilo!  You can make your own.

I was introduced to it by our senior fisheries biologist.  We make it using Burbot roe, and it is delicious!  Here's six skeins from three fish last year.

Takes about two months to cure, and you'll never use this much in a year.  Lasts forever once cured.  We give it to friends to try, and they are always ready for more.

The flavour is very intense, so one uses it quite sparingly.....at least at first.  ;)   Grate it using the finest grater you have over whatever you are going to season with it.  Once you try it, you will be using it often, especially in salads, and on pasta!

Ted

Offline Sprucedoggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2017, 10:04 PM »
Im definitely going to try making that Bottarga, that looks very interesting. Can you freeze the roe first to kill the tapeworms?

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2017, 10:18 PM »
I guess you could, but can't imagine they would survive salt cure.  The senior biologist who told me how to do it, cures it wo freezing.  A good friend of mine who fishes with me is a microbiologist.  He does the parasite work here, and doesn't freeze the skeins either.

Now I am wondering if a tapeworm could survive being salt-cured until rock hard.  The skeins are almost that hard when cured.

Will give Phil a call, and get back to you.
Ted

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.