Author Topic: What size to build  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Snowed

• IceShanty Rookie
What size to build
« on: Dec 26, 2021, 06:35 AM »
Good morning folks.  I’m relatively new to this so please bare with me. I’m planning on building a permanent shack.  I’d like it to accommodate 3-4 people with no overnighters.  What size should it be? I was thinking either 6x8 or 6x10. Also what size framing should And spacing should I use for the walls and roof? I’m using 2x4 pt for the floor with advantech plywood.  I’d like to keep it as light as I can, realizing that the floor is going to be on the heavier side. Thank you for your help.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: What size to build
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2021, 08:33 AM »
I built this several years ago as a "perma-porta" shack. It was 7'L X 7'H X 4'W. It would fish 3 but more comfortable with 2. Basically a frame of 2X2's. The floor was plywood split in half that would pull up into the end panels allowing shack to fold up accordion style for transport. When erected I used lengths conduit pipe between the panels to hold in place...2 along each side, 1 across the top. It was built strong enough to be a permanent shack but I never did. You could use ratchet straps across the shack and use ice anchors to secure to make permanent and still have the ability to make it portable. Obviously you'd have to make it bigger to put 4 guys in but you get the idea. Also added UHMW to the bottom of conduit skis. And believe it or not, when the shack was empty, I could leave it erect and tip it up on the skis and tow it wherever I wanted to go.  ;D

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2021, 09:13 AM »
i built one from a 4x8 sheet plywood kinda like iceassins.  it was a fine shack with room for 2. it didnt have runners(i used sled).  had a rounded top with 2 spreader bars inside to hold open.  its an old design from sports afield or field n stream 40yrs ago.  my cuz built one also before mine but used canvas.  he used to leave it out as a permie and had no issues.  now days i dont think id leave any permie out there.  it would either get stolen or broken into around here these days.

you can mark out 4x8 on the garage floor and see if its enough room for you.  it could also be made longer very easy if you want a condo. never bought any but im pretty sure you can get 10' plywood also.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2021, 09:39 AM »
I have 2-8' X 12' shacks, both have 4 holes along one side, the 3 holes we fish out of are evenly spaced, the 2nd hole in the picture is the odd one out, it is for the Livescope Transducer and is not used to fish out of.   In your 6' X 10' scenario, the 4-holes would be as close together as the first 3 holes in my shacks are, that is way too close to try to have people sitting next to each other (in my opinion).  Consider going a little longer, a couple extra feet of material are not going to make the much difference in weight.

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2021, 11:26 AM »
This style is probably the lightest, hard sided, permanent shack you can build, fits up to 6 comfortably, and fits in the back of a full size pickup truck.

The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.