Author Topic: Any fishable ice yet?  (Read 3944 times)

Offline Graygills22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any fishable ice yet?
« on: Feb 15, 2020, 07:36 AM »
Wishing!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: Any fishable ice yet?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2020, 07:50 AM »
the answer would be yes.  but is it worth it to you.  maybe get wet n cold. cant imagine the bite being any good but you never know.  go find a community hole, with others and be safe.  your scoop arm will get a big work out in these bobber sucking temps. lol
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline denhar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2020, 09:55 AM »
goin out on Flint valpo this afternoon

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2020, 07:13 PM »
It's out there but I don't think there is much of it!

Offline Foxinfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2020, 07:16 PM »
I was on 3 different lakes today and the snow really messed it up. Ice varied from 1.5 to 5

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2020, 07:57 PM »
Yes it did.  Couldn't get to where I fished last week, spud went right through.  Snow pushed the ice down and it is toast!

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2020, 05:06 AM »
I tried Saturday after saying I was done for the season. Took a cold swim in 20 foot of water. Should have stuck with my 1st decision.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2020, 05:34 AM »
I tried Saturday after saying I was done for the season. Took a cold swim in 20 foot of water. Should have stuck with my 1st decision.
Glad you are ok!
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline RobertFitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2020, 05:43 AM »
Glad you made it out of the water safe bigr

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2020, 06:19 AM »
Glad you made it out ok.  Might help someone else if you would be willing to share some details.  You weren't the only one to go swimming this weekend.  Thankfully,  I haven't heard of any tragedies.  I was surprised how quickly the ice I was on went to crap yesterday.  Doesn't help that most of it is junk to start with.  Most guys don't check either.  Couple guys came out in the afternoon with a small child and walked right past everyone towards thin ice.  Be careful out there.  It's junk!  Going to get another cold snap late in the week so some of it may firm back up enough to try it one more time.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2020, 07:01 AM »
First of all it happens quick. In my case and I think most cases you don't just drop like your jumping from a pool. Ice gave way and I went in somewhat slow. Imaging sliding in, not jumping in. My mind worked fast but for whatever reason not with panic. As the ice gave my reflex action was to fall backwards as I was also sliding down. In hind site I think that action was what made for a much better outcome. By instinct I flung my arms straight out and my back actually landed on a bigger chunk of ice that that slowed my sinking. I didn't have an ice suit but the jacket like most supported enough air for just long enough to help in the sinking so with all that I was able not sink in past my armpits. I immediately started the wiggling/walking process using my shoulders and arms while kicking to get myself up onto ice that didn't break from my weight. Then I continued to lay flat and spread out as much as possible and crawl away from hole. I did have ice picks around my neck and I did think about using them but if I had I would have lost my position I had from the start. I'm sure I would have dropped completely in water then would have had to start from neck level just to regain a higher position. Panic never had a chance to set in which I think happens after that first try to get out. The things that go your mind so fast is amazing. I'm sure I was very lucky and god was pulling under my armpits. I'm a big man going on 60 years old. It was way to easy for me to get out without his help. I was with three other guys and we had the safety equipment that would have allowed them to provide help. Ropes, floating suits. I lost no equipment or even my cell phone since I had it in a pocket in my chest. You hear it all time on this site. Fish with others, put a pair of picks around your neck, someone have a throw rope and wear a float suit if you have one. If you don't put that on you list of must have equipment. Going in as slow as possible will give you that split second to react in a life saving way. Long story short I'm sure being able to stay partially on top and not having to try a pull my heavy frame from neck deep may have been the difference. I really am putting up the stuff today.     

Offline SK8TNPIGEZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2020, 07:19 AM »
Glad you are ok!  I’ve been limiting out every time I go out in the boat! 2 SH*TS

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2020, 07:50 AM »
Thanks for sharing!  Always a risk going on the ice.  Glad things went so well!  Be careful out there people.

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2020, 09:20 AM »
Bigr - PM sent

rivereddy

Offline Den58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2020, 10:57 AM »
Glad you got out safe God was definitely with you.

Offline Daybreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2020, 11:04 AM »
Thanks for elaborating.  Super glad your ok, Big R.  Very frightening when it happens, but to not panic is awesome. Almost exact same scenario happened to me 20 years ago and ended up with the same results.  Here today because I was trying to think what I needed to do as soon as the ice started to give way.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2020, 12:51 PM »
Bigr,
Sounds like you did all the right things, except not wearing your float suit! :) When I went in I plummeted straight down, but I grabbed water with my arms back to front and drug my right leg which kept head from going under. I didn't panic either. Had a good snowmobile suit on which had a lot of air in it. At first I was just pissed! I paddled to my bucket which was floating with couple of rods and fish in it, grabbed it and threw it up on ice. As I was going in and grabbing water with my arms I threw my auger on ice in front of me. But after that couldn't get up on ice as it kept breaking as I was attempting to get out on ice in front of me. Should have turned around and tried to get up on ice behind me. Lesson learned!
Thank God you are all right!
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2020, 02:38 PM »
Bigr, like I said before glad you made it out and are ok! One piece of safety equipment you forgot to mention is a SPUD. They can and have saved alot of wet asses and lives! Get one and learn to use it if you don't already have one. Hex

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2020, 03:16 PM »
If I remember correctly,  I've only seen 1 guy using a spud this year.  I seen plenty of guys walking on ice I wouldn't have without one!!!

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2020, 05:35 PM »
I was on very sketchy ice yesterday. about 20 to 25 people out. Seen 1 other guy with a spud. Same place earlier in the season and I saw 2 people using them as a walking stick only.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline Graygills22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2020, 06:21 PM »
Glad everyone is ok! Haven't gotten out this year in Indiana.  Never fell through and never want to. Can't imagine. Maybe next year for me. Please stay safe!

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 18, 2020, 05:34 AM »
I agree with everything you all are saying. Spud bar is another piece of equipment we should add to our must have things. If you don't have one like myself be sure to use what you almost always have. The auger. Don't trust the ice just because others are on it. Doesn't take long to cut a hole thru 2 inches of ice. I'll admit I made the common error of just trusting what the other guys were saying and they were all fifty lbs lighter than me and twenty yards away.   

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 18, 2020, 07:05 AM »
I agree with everything you all are saying. Spud bar is another piece of equipment we should add to our must have things. If you don't have one like myself be sure to use what you almost always have. The auger. Don't trust the ice just because others are on it. Doesn't take long to cut a hole thru 2 inches of ice. I'll admit I made the common error of just trusting what the other guys were saying and they were all fifty lbs lighter than me and twenty yards away.
  Using an auger to check the ice isn't a good idea. The point of a spud is to check every step. I doubt anyone is drilling a hole every step. A spud doesn't need to be anything special. A sharpened piece of rebar works fine and costs about the same as a few jigs.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 18, 2020, 08:28 AM »
  Using an auger to check the ice isn't a good idea. The point of a spud is to check every step. I doubt anyone is drilling a hole every step. A spud doesn't need to be anything special. A sharpened piece of rebar works fine and costs about the same as a few jigs.
Plus if you are drilling hole you are already stopped and standing on that spot
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 18, 2020, 09:10 AM »
A spud bar is the best option but if all you have is an auger use it. I think most of us know from the amount of turns or how easy it is to cut will give you atleast some ideal of the conditions that you would not have if you didn't do anything. Point is don't trust anyone else. Find a way to check for yourself. Spud bars are the way to go but in most the cases I see them used more of a walking stick than a ice gauge. I think I would rather stop and check than be moving and checking as I go. Whether your using a spud bar or an auger your already a few ft from the spot your checking. If you stop with a spud bar, which most I see don't do, can get you a couple feet further from the spot your checking. With an auger you put yourself more over top the check spot but you will not be moving. When I use my auger I do check every few feet, not steps. Again not your best option but still better than nothing. I've learned that 6 to 8 turns on my auger is a must before going any further without thinking about it first. In my case I broke all my own rules and trusted the other guys that were already on the spot fishing.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 19, 2020, 08:10 AM »
Glad you are ok!  I’ve been limiting out every time I go out in the boat! 2 SH*TS

All too familiar!
I'm glad you are safe!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 19, 2020, 10:39 AM »
Your definitely better off Bigr than a lot of the guys I see just aimlessly walking across the ice.  I'm not real sure how to help a guy strolling along like he knows what he's doing when I know he's on sketchy ice.  Let them know what you think and have the rope ready.  I thank God I usually have a buddy along with all the safety equipment that knows how to read ice and what to do if I go through.  My float suit makes me feel a little safer also, they are not cheap but keeping your head out of the freezing water might be the difference.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 20, 2020, 01:41 AM »
DIY spudbar. 

5ft 1/2 or 3/4 pipe. Put a T on one end, smash the other end and use grinder to grind sharp edge. Then run a rope thru the T and tie for a small loop to run thru your wrist.

I've had my spudbar for as long as I can remember might have been gramps from the 60's. A DIY is cheaper than buying one but fits the same purpose to check ice.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline ICEOHIO22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 20, 2020, 07:03 AM »
Just wondering if the recent cold snap has done much for the ice or if the early week rain showers screwed it up for good?

Offline denhar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 20, 2020, 07:22 AM »
Fished willow slough last night.some good ice some very bad used spud bar to get out and in. caught some gills

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.