Author Topic: at home bait tank  (Read 3375 times)

Offline fisherman_chuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
at home bait tank
« on: Nov 05, 2012, 02:29 PM »
Looking at building a bait holding tank for when i have left overs, looking to keep in a holding tank till the next weekend or so. Pictures would be great. Thanks

Offline Artjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: at home bait tank
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2012, 02:39 PM »
A small cattle wattering tank works well or if you go with a little bigger on you can even put a electric heater in it so it don't freeze up when it gets too cold.
Take your kids hunting and fishing and you won't have to hunt for your kids.

Offline icefishindaddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • please make ice
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2012, 02:43 PM »
type ' bait tank'  into the search area at the top of home page and there are lots of ideas.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2012, 02:52 PM »
Looking at building a bait holding tank for when i have left overs, looking to keep in a holding tank till the next weekend or so. Pictures would be great. Thanks

5 gallon bucket with filter or a cheap 10 gallon fish tank
[img][/img]

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2012, 03:10 PM »
Holding for a week all you really need is a 5 gal bucket and a 10gal aquarium filter. Or you can fork up the $10 for a 10 gal aquarium if you feel like it. Do just what is in the picture above. They will be fine for a week, assuming you are not trying to put hundreds of minnows or dozens of suckers in there. Keep it in the coldest place you can find where it wont freeze. Closest to 32º as possible. In a garage is probably the best until it gets super cold.

If you are planning on catching your own bait, or buying bait in bulk to last a few weeks you will need to set up a tank. A cattle tub, a plastic drum cut length wise, anything like that.. something that will hold 30 gallons of water minimum. You will need a pressurized filter or a bio filter set-up, plus run extra oxygen.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2012, 03:22 PM »
Holds about 600 when full. Only about 300 right now.

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2012, 04:25 PM »
You should check out the section about live bait and plastics here on the shanty.  Tons of Bait info in there.     I've done alright for years as a kid with just a bucket and a small airation style filter, then I moved on to rubbermaid totes with the hang on Whisper/tertra style filters, then I moved on to 500gal bait tanks that hold a couple thousand.   My bait tanks have increasingly gotten bigger the more my obsession with ice fishing grew. 

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2012, 04:46 PM »
You should check out the section about live bait and plastics here on the shanty.  Tons of Bait info in there.     I've done alright for years as a kid with just a bucket and a small airation style filter, then I moved on to rubbermaid totes with the hang on Whisper/tertra style filters, then I moved on to 500gal bait tanks that hold a couple thousand.   My bait tanks have increasingly gotten bigger the more my obsession with ice fishing grew. 
(Image removed from quote.)
ok. repeat after me.....I have a problem..."

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2012, 04:49 PM »
5 gallon bucket with filter or a cheap 10 gallon fish tank
[img(Image removed from quote.)][/img]
these guys have been in here for 3 1/2 weeks at least. have lost only 4. change water each wek

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2012, 04:57 PM »
Been wanting to do the same thing, found some good vids on youtube that used a 500 gallon bilge pump and pvc.  Only problem is converting the bilge pump over to AC power.... anyone good with electronics know how to achieve that goal?

Offline topwaterbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2012, 05:11 PM »
A 12 volt converter will work.

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2012, 08:33 PM »
Oh yes, my addiction gets worse and worse every year.  Mostly b/c of this site   ;D ;D 

Food for thought on using a bilge pump.  They were never designed for continious use and would most likely fail after a while.  I've used them before just for a livewell setup in my boat, but I never had one setup for the bait tank where it constantly runs.   A 12v power supply will power the bilge pump. 

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2012, 12:11 AM »
150 gallon Stainless tank in my basement with Filstar canister filter.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2012, 03:33 AM »
A cheap and easy tank, at least in my opinion, would be a plastic slop sink with an airerator pump.

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 06, 2012, 06:21 AM »
I would not use a glass aquarium if there is any chance of freezing at all, or you could have a mess on your hands.  I like using an old cooler and just drill out the lid to accept airline tubing or any filtrations you may use.  Not enough to store tons of bait for the season, but works great for a week or 2 supply.  Much more room than a bucket, and it's insulated and dark with a tight fitting lid so no jumpers.
Prayin' for cold

Offline fisherman_chuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2012, 10:36 AM »
Any one have picture of a cooler converted to a bait tank?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Nov 06, 2012, 07:13 PM »
Been wanting to do the same thing, found some good vids on youtube that used a 500 gallon bilge pump and pvc.  Only problem is converting the bilge pump over to AC power.... anyone good with electronics know how to achieve that goal?

Buy a pond pump, mount it in your tank and then a 3/4"-1" line going to your filter. A bigger line coming off that and into a spray bar or just dumping back into the water if you are going to run extra aeration. Pond pumps run on AC and are made to run 24/7/365.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #17 on: Nov 06, 2012, 07:15 PM »
I am thinking about makeing a tank out of an old water softener tank should it work and how big of an airator wold I need. thanks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.