The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Muskie ice fishing  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Riley T.

• IceShanty Rookie
Muskie ice fishing
« on: Feb 16, 2018, 12:19 PM »
I may be going to ice fish for some muskies next week, and was wondering if anybody had done it before, or had some tips for em.

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Muskie ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2018, 02:50 PM »
Where are you headed?  Been many times.

Offline Riley T.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2018, 02:04 PM »
Fifth St. John lake if I do go.

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2018, 05:59 PM »
Not familiar with that one.  Here's what I've learned from Glazier:
You don't have to go crazy with bait, 4" to 6" suckers are fine.
Stay away from inlets of any kind, great places to catch an otter on your tip-up, not Muskie.
Most of those lakes are rivers, the ice can change quickly and be very dangerous, plus just getting to the lake is an adventure.   Go with someone who is in the know or hire a guide.

It can be super slow, and incredible, you never know!
Good luck!

Offline Gfish69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2018, 07:20 PM »
Interesting..... are there any guide services that service that area?
Be a great adventure

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2018, 07:36 PM »
Tyler kelley camps
On the web and Facebook in Allagash, ME
Stayed with them several times, Wade and Sue are great people.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2018, 07:54 PM »
Not familiar with that one.  Here's what I've learned from Glazier:
You don't have to go crazy with bait, 4" to 6" suckers are fine.
Stay away from inlets of any kind, great places to catch an otter on your tip-up, not Muskie.
Most of those lakes are rivers, the ice can change quickly and be very dangerous, plus just getting to the lake is an adventure.   Go with someone who is in the know or hire a guide.

It can be super slow, and incredible, you never know!
Good luck!
im a hr. from glazier and fished it many times. it is slow but it only takes 1 cocker. big smelts of big goldens are better bait if you can get them. muskie are mostly sight predators and both of those are bright and shiny. inlets attract bait but fish on the sides of the inlets as muskie don't like the cold water entering but will ambush from the sides. target deep  weed-lines or drop offs off shallow weedy flats. use heavy floro carbon as those waters are super clear. if you came up here id bring you in. like was mentioned all these muskie lakes on the st. john are just a wide part of the river and have sketchy ice conditions. i don't recommend going it blindly. I've brought out a couple members on here before and they both got fish.

Offline Riley T.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2018, 05:22 PM »
Thanks everybody! As long as I can get on the main lake, there should be safe ice. On one side it quickly drops to the mid to lower teens, and another point drops right to the deepest part of the lake, at 20 feet. I’m going up to Ross lake for just about everything big up there in Monday, and on my way back on Thursday I’m stopping for a little while at Fifth St. John.

Offline Riley T.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2018, 05:31 PM »
im a hr. from glazier and fished it many times. it is slow but it only takes 1 cocker. big smelts of big goldens are better bait if you can get them. muskie are mostly sight predators and both of those are bright and shiny. inlets attract bait but fish on the sides of the inlets as muskie don't like the cold water entering but will ambush from the sides. target deep  weed-lines or drop offs off shallow weedy flats. use heavy floro carbon as those waters are super clear. if you came up here id bring you in. like was mentioned all these muskie lakes on the st. john are just a wide part of the river and have sketchy ice conditions. i don't recommend going it blindly. I've brought out a couple members on here before and they both got fish.

Thanks! If I wasn’t so far, it would be awesome to fish for them with you. May just be another excuse to come up and fish!  ;D :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.