The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: A Slushy Hellscape on Plainfield Pond  (Read 2744 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
A Slushy Hellscape on Plainfield Pond
« on: Mar 05, 2023, 02:27 PM »
Today, I took a drive to Plainfield Pond..

The weather wasn't bad.  Intermittenty sunny and cloudy, with occasional snow flurries.

But the ice conditions were horrendous. 

There was a layer of slush - - varying from 4" in some spots to 12" in others, over about 14" of poor quality ice.

"Adding" to the experience, there were lots of snow-covered holes.

While most of them were small enough that your foot wouldn't get too wet even if you stepped into it, I managed to step into a larger one up to my ankle.

Even worse, I found (although, thankfully, I did not step into) one that was 18" across -  and did my good deed for the day by breaking a branch from the shore into pieces and erecting a "tee-pee" over it.

When I arrived about 10:30 AM, there was a guy from Springfield, who had gotten there around 8 AM, and reported landing a couple pickerel and a couple perch.

There was also a party of four from Savoy, who got there around 9:30 AM and reported no action.

Mogli and his girlfriend joined me around 11:15 AM., and spent most of our time jigging in companionable silence (punctuated by occasional conversation), while keeping an eye on our tip ups.

By the time we left around 2:30 PM, all of the others had already left.

During that entire time, we didn't have a single flag or strike on either a jig or dead stick, nor did we see anyone else get one.

Man, if feels good to be home and wearing dry socks!

Offline Ryan51993

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: A Slushy Hellscape on Plainfield Pond
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2023, 02:41 PM »
Only tried Plainfield once, landed one tiny pickerel. Between the long drive from where I live and the lack of action I was never in a hurry to return. Still jealous that you got out though, every day on the ice is precious at this point in the season.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2023, 03:27 PM »
Nice work Jim.  Returning now from cancun with a sunburn.  Looming forward to some ice.

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2023, 03:32 PM »
Only tried Plainfield once, landed one tiny pickerel. Between the long drive from where I live and the lack of action I was never in a hurry to return. Still jealous that you got out though, every day on the ice is precious at this point in the season.

Like a lot of spots, Plainfield tends to be very hit or miss. 

I have caught some decent pickerel there, and know someone who caught a 24" one as well.

And, although I've never done it myself, I've seen others pull some good-sized large mouth out of there.

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2023, 03:34 PM »
Nice work Jim.  Returning now from cancun with a sunburn.  Looming forward to some ice.

That's quite a contrast (Cancun to New England).  I've been working on my own "red neck tan" (windburn) myself.

Offline NCSnowDog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2023, 04:11 PM »
I’ve fished Plainfield several times and only got tiny perch. Looks like some good bass would be in there though.

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2023, 06:12 PM »
Bog- You’re a brave man and give you lots of credit for getting out on that stuff with the unknowns. Wasn’t going to chance it with those conditions today. Hopefully better weather ahead and fishing.

Offline Sam Gee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2023, 05:59 AM »
I tried Plainfield once, I saw lots of fish on the flasher but it was hard getting bites.

Offline Phishing.Hacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2023, 06:31 AM »
I am the guy from Springfield. I fished 8-1230 got 3 flags and 2 meh sized pickerels, jigged up 4 small perch almost bait sized ones.

Action was slow yesterday, usually get a lot of flags there with runt pickerels. Sometimes its better to run 5 traps and not jig there.

I left because I got sick of the horrible ice conditions and slow fishing, my right foot sank past my ankle twice. I saw you get wet, that helped me decided to leave.

Its gonna be cold this week, but calling for snow again on Saturday.

I am doing open water today, and might be throwing the towel in.................... .............

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2023, 08:18 AM »
I am the guy from Springfield. I fished 8-1230 got 3 flags and 2 meh sized pickerels, jigged up 4 small perch almost bait sized ones.

Nice to finally meet you.  (I've seen your posts before).

I should have thought to ask you if you were on Ice Shanty and, if so, what your "handle" is.

You certainly did better than the rest of us.

But at least I'm able to check off my 15th lake/pond for the season, which I think is a new record for me.

I'm hoping to get out again next weekend, but hope the slush isn't as bad as it was yesterday.

Offline scooper47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2023, 08:32 AM »
I've always heard that some states limit the size of the holes you can cut in ice, but I'm not sure if it's true. I would suggest 11" since I don't think any auger cuts over 10". When I was ice fishing central Ohio in the mid 70s, the sport was new there. I came across huge holes cut with chain saws. A child could fall through there. I once stepped in a snow-covered 8" hole (cut by my fishing buddy a few days before) and almost broke my ankle.

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2023, 09:24 AM »
I've always heard that some states limit the size of the holes you can cut in ice, but I'm not sure if it's true. I would suggest 11" since I don't think any auger cuts over 10". When I was ice fishing central Ohio in the mid 70s, the sport was new there. I came across huge holes cut with chain saws. A child could fall through there. I once stepped in a snow-covered 8" hole (cut by my fishing buddy a few days before) and almost broke my ankle.

The really big hole (18"?) that I described may have started out smaller and "enlarged" due to springs - - at least that is what the group next to me thought - - although it looked suspiciously "regular" (perfectly round) for that to me.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2023, 09:59 AM »
Sounds like water runoff from rain. I was out once and it was pouring. There were a few specific holes that had whirlpool drains. These holes opened up fast.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2023, 12:57 PM »
I've been fishing Plainfield pond for 20 years.  I don't keep going back for nothing. I'll leave it at that! 
I prefer that most people don't care for the pond . Or think there are only small pickerel, which I've heard countless times🤣.
The 18" hole you found was nothing compared to the 5 I found years ago.

These holes were covered by a few inches of fresh powder. They had a ¼" of ice on them!  All 5 in a row and all big enough for most people to fall through, no net !
I noticed a raised circular pattern in the snow and stopped to investigate. Hit it with my chisel and right through with ease !!! Knowing there's 12" of ice , that's concerning!  Kept chopping across until I found the other side. 

These holes were about 28" or so across ! Assuming heavy rains days before widened them so much. Never seen anything like it since though. It's not from springs or anything else there. Like i said, been fishing the exact same area on the pond for 20+ years. 

This is why I can't stress and LECTURE enough about ALWAYS having a chisel (spud) with you on any snow covered ice! 

Mine comes out 100% of the time regardless of ice conditions.

You can make an ultra light one like I did with a piece of pipe and a 2" wood chisel .  I use it to open frozen holes and check unfamiliar ice . Weight is about 3lbs.

Some here have seen it and my other beast chisel that doesn't come out much anymore.

Here are some photos of the holes found. 
Also a photo from a couple days later after the snow melted away. Friend was looking into the abyss lol.

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2023, 02:21 PM »
I've been fishing Plainfield pond for 20 years.  I don't keep going back for nothing. I'll leave it at that!  . . .

The 18" hole you found was nothing compared to the 5 I found years ago.  . . .

These holes were about 28" or so across

I know you have done well at Plainfield over the years, Keith!

As for your photos of the holes that you found years ago, all I can say is "yikes!"

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2023, 07:46 PM »
I know you have done well at Plainfield over the years, Keith!

As for your photos of the holes that you found years ago, all I can say is "yikes!"

Yes , it's an eye opener to those that are unaware of  what can lurk under the snow .

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2023, 10:32 AM »
Yes , it's an eye opener to those that are unaware of  what can lurk under the snow .

The problem with Plainfield is that there are no large bass in there.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2023, 01:10 PM »
I'm into small pickerel and the occasional otter 😁

Offline Phishing.Hacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2023, 04:29 AM »

Pickerel-field Pond is what I call it, never seen a bass there.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2023, 07:08 AM »
Pickerel-field Pond is what I call it, never seen a bass there.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🙂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.