The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Shaw Pond  (Read 1582 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Shaw Pond
« on: Feb 26, 2023, 06:06 PM »
This afternoon, I joined Mogli, his girlfriend, his buddy Nick and Nick's two small children on Shaw Pond in Becket.

The only other time I fished Shaw Pond was a year or two ago,  when I went there solo, and (if I recall correctly) didn't have any bites that time.

Today, I arrived around 12 noon, and joined Mogli and his friends in progress.

The weather was overcast, with temps in the low to mid 30's, and a slight wind.  As the afternoon went on, it started to flurry.

There was about 8 inches of ice under an inch or two of snow. 

But, over the course of the afternoon, the ice started to soften, and wet spots appeared, even though it wasn't very warm, evidently from the weight and blanket effect of the snow.

We had a few flags - - mostly of the "drop taker" variety (as in the fish would take the bait and drop it - - I realize this should probably be rendered "take dropper," but that just does not sound right) - - which resulted in our landing a few pickerel and one perch.

We also caught some perch and sunfish jigging.

I caught the oddball fish of the day - - an 11" bullhead (my first ever through the ice) that I reeled in on a jig.

While the fishing wasn't spectacular, it was at least acceptable - - and the company was pleasant - - so, together with a new species and a new pond to add to my "list," I'll count today in my "win" column.

Offline NCSnowDog

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Shaw Pond
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2023, 06:23 PM »
I’ve fished Shaw probably half a dozen times and never done well there. I guess there’s smallmouth in there but I haven’t seen one. Holds ice good though. So you probably had a good day there for that pond.

Offline Phishing.Hacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2023, 08:54 PM »
Been there twice this year. The first time we got 3 bass and were marking a crap load of fish but couldnt get any of them to actually bite. The second time there I didnt get any flags, had similar results jigging marking a crap load of fish and for half most of the day wasnt getting bites. Very annoying to fish getting marks and as soon as I jiggled the lure the fish would swim off. Moved to the other side of the lake 200 yards near the point and was able to land a dozen kivver and 2 perch all very very small, the nicest thing I got all day was an normal sized rock bass.

Shaw pond meh.............

Offline Sam Gee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2023, 06:27 AM »
Congrats on the Cat, you never expect to see those come through the ice.

Offline scooper47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2023, 07:59 AM »
I still remember my first bullhead through the ice. It was maybe 40 years ago. I had a good fight on a jig and got whatever it was near the hole. Then my jig came flying out of the hole. I was about to swear when a 12-inch bullhead came flying out of the hole and plopped down on the ice. Better than a long-distance release.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2023, 08:10 AM »
Early to freeze and late to ice out.  Never fished it but have passed it a zillion times heading north.

Offline Mikeski72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2023, 08:40 AM »
Shaw Pond can be funny place. I’ve had days where the pickerel fishing is fast and furious to the point it almost becomes annoying. Not much for sizable bass the last few years but had a buddy land a 5 lb largemouth. Almost always catch bullhead through the ice there and it’s the only place I’ve caught them this way. Nice job getting out on what was a pretty nice weekend!

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2023, 06:55 PM »
Been fishing Shaw Pond for quite some time and have never caught a smallmouth nor anyone I’ve been with. I would like to see one. Caught plenty of largemouth 2-3lb range but no big ones. Some decent pickerel, when you find them. Easy access at least.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2023, 10:41 PM »
Been fishing Shaw Pond for quite some time and have never caught a smallmouth nor anyone I’ve been with. I would like to see one. Caught plenty of largemouth 2-3lb range but no big ones. Some decent pickerel, when you find them. Easy access at least.
Same thing on a little pond I fish , a lot of small bass.  Then bam one day, a biggie.
Where there's little ones, a big one roams.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.