The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Not even close to over  (Read 6737 times)

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Not even close to over
« on: Feb 19, 2023, 04:00 PM »
There are still plenty of lakes ponds in the Berks with between 9 and 13 inches and they are building more with the cold temps up there now and in the next 10 days. We should be fishing well into March.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Not even close to over
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2023, 05:20 PM »
I enjoy the enthusiasm and the determination of some to get out there. However my boat is uncovered and ready to go. Good luck to everyone braving it out and stay safe.

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2023, 06:57 PM »
Yes there are some places that have that much and a bunch more that only have 4”-6” and access is beat up with water on edges. Hopefully there will be more cold on the way. Hope to extend the season for a couple more weeks.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2023, 07:18 PM »
I never stop fishing, ice, no ice.  Doesnt matter.  Where I like to ice fish isnt frozen and it isnt going to freeze.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2023, 11:20 PM »
I never stop fishing, ice, no ice.  Doesnt matter.  Where I like to ice fish isnt frozen and it isnt going to freeze.

Spot on. I can chase ice or I can chase fish.
Just add water.

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2023, 11:00 PM »
Good Report Papa
MA

Offline Ryan51993

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2023, 01:58 AM »
I'll take the open water at this point. I love ice fishing but I'm not driving to the berkshires to hit small ponds and big crowds when there's excellent fishing to be had from my boat locally. All the places I really wanted to ice fish never froze this year.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2023, 03:48 AM »
I'll be chasing ice. I can fish open water all year. There is plenty of ice out in the Berks, but the quality I am seeing is not great. Sun is high. It's almost March. This is from the NW end of Pontoosuc this weekend. 8 1/2" total.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2023, 09:11 AM »
I'll be chasing ice. I can fish open water all year. There is plenty of ice out in the Berks, but the quality I am seeing is not great. Sun is high. It's almost March. This is from the NW end of Pontoosuc this weekend. 8 1/2" total.

Right with ya.  I think part of why I like ice fishing so much is the limited window you have to chase it.  I was on almost a foot on Saturday.  Beware the female EPO seems to be making her rounds more frequently than I've seen previously.  She came out checked our licenses and was pretty pleasant.  Even let one guy catch a break because he didn't have it on him or was able to pull it up on his phone.  Nicely called into dispatch to confirm he had a current license.  Been checked twice this year after never being checked in MA previously.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2023, 09:29 AM »
Very Very cold weather comming, -1 on Saturday...Maybe get on some ice in April!!! It happened in 2019!

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2023, 10:08 AM »
Right with ya.  I think part of why I like ice fishing so much is the limited window you have to chase it.  I was on almost a foot on Saturday.  Beware the female EPO seems to be making her rounds more frequently than I've seen previously.  She came out checked our licenses and was pretty pleasant.  Even let one guy catch a break because he didn't have it on him or was able to pull it up on his phone.  Nicely called into dispatch to confirm he had a current license.  Been checked twice this year after never being checked in MA previously.

I have encountered EPO's twice this season (one male at Cheshire and one female at Fish Pond) this season, a real rarity.

Both were quite pleasant, and we chatted about how many EPO's are assigned to the northern Berkshire district.

My understanding is that there are five EPO's who patrol the District, stretching from VT down to Pittsfield and from NY to Orange.

Since the ice is so limited on the eastern (CT river valley) end of the district this year, they have been able to concentrate their efforts more heavily on the western end.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2023, 01:27 PM »
You are correct Mike, we will be ice fishing well into March.
There will always be those that don't believe you and they're the ones that sit on fb or shanty complaining there's no ice while we are walking on 12" with good tight edges.
Some people are not true die hards and will never travel more than 30 min from their front door to fish. 
Nothing wrong with not traveling as long as they're not crying about no ice all over the internet while many are fishing on ample ice !
Some people will never travel to those "small ponds " in the Berkshire's because they're "overcrowded." However, had these same people ever tried these small hill ponds in the Berkshire's, they would see that they don't get much pressure even on a weekend. 
12" Saturday and there were 5 people fishing the pond , we were 2 of the 5 😁.

Don't count out small ponds , you might just get your next pb !
9lb bass or 6lb pickerel

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2023, 01:33 PM »
I guess I am different than both Keith and Mike.  I dont care about guys who wont travel, I dont care about guys that do.  All I care about is how I fish and how I deal with a season like this.  However, there hasnt been an April fools day I havent ice fished in a long time.  This season will be no different.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2023, 01:40 PM »
I guess I am different than both Keith and Mike.  I dont care about guys who wont travel, I dont care about guys that do.  All I care about is how I fish and how I deal with a season like this.  However, there hasnt been an April fools day I havent ice fished in a long time.  This season will be no different.
Where did I say I "cared" about if people will travel.  I stated a fact, some will never travel and that's fine. I have no doubt you will be fishing April 1st , but you're one that's willing to travel. 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2023, 01:56 PM »
Im going to ignore this thread and go fish.   :tipup:

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2023, 06:10 PM »
I don't really fish the small ponds out there, but do chase the toothy critters. There's been plenty of room on the big lakes except for tournament days. I've been out 13 times this season as a weekend warrior. Last trip was an overnight. I have traveled over an hour 1 way every time and spent about $20 in gas every trip. I think those are small prices to pay for doing what I love every weekend. I can understand those that live  on the cape and travel 2+ hours to get out there. I wouldn't want to do that either. Everybody has their own threshold, I guess.
All I know is the pike are putting on the feedback right now and they are getting fat with eggs. I love seeing a flag pop on a 12" dead bait. Can't get that on open water. I'll be in the Berks again this weekend

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2023, 06:53 AM »
I don't really fish the small ponds out there, but do chase the toothy critters. There's been plenty of room on the big lakes except for tournament days. I've been out 13 times this season as a weekend warrior. Last trip was an overnight. I have traveled over an hour 1 way every time and spent about $20 in gas every trip. I think those are small prices to pay for doing what I love every weekend. I can understand those that live  on the cape and travel 2+ hours to get out there. I wouldn't want to do that either. Everybody has their own threshold, I guess.
All I know is the pike are putting on the feedback right now and they are getting fat with eggs. I love seeing a flag pop on a 12" dead bait. Can't get that on open water. I'll be in the Berks again this weekend

It can be tough but like you said, you do what you have to do for what you love.
2hrs for me and 40 in gas each trip . Unless I go with a friend in his car and split the cost.

Offline Sam Gee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2023, 07:21 AM »
Spot on. I can chase ice or I can chase fish.
Same here, I've been "ice" fishing on my small Jon boat like I was on hard water. Flasher, jig pole and all.

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2023, 06:25 PM »
Looking good for the weekend weather wise with cold weather to keep things firm.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2023, 06:23 PM »
Best fishing  of the season is coming,  and yea, it's not over, this snow is a blessing .its hammer time.. and yea, I drive  4 hours each trip, and its worth every drop of gas I put in Silverado 2500.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2023, 07:06 PM »
Best fishing  of the season is coming,  and yea, it's not over, this snow is a blessing .its hammer time.. and yea, I drive  4 hours each trip, and its worth every drop of gas I put in Silverado 2500.

Not sure I would say a blessing lol.
Hides the hazards and insulates the ice from the cold.  However, it looks like a lot more mixing going on so very wet icy snow will freeze up adding to the ice. But it's still hiding hazards .

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 23, 2023, 08:11 PM »
Not sure I would say a blessing lol.
Hides the hazards and insulates the ice from the cold.  However, it looks like a lot more mixing going on so very wet icy snow will freeze up adding to the ice. But it's still hiding hazards .

It hides the hazards but keeps that March sun off of the crap snow ice..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Reginald Bonz III

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2023, 06:50 AM »
It hides the hazards but keeps that March sun off of the crap snow ice..

I agree. Just enough to insulate and hide the iffy spots so they have a chance to freeze once the Sun drops. I will be heading to N. Central part of state Mon, Tues. ,and Wed. Hammertime is a good way to put it.
Keep those holes clean and smooth

Offline MassPikeAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Snag'em and drag'em
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2023, 10:29 AM »
I'm more worried the 8-12 inches there talking about for Monday night into tuesday.

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2023, 10:51 AM »
I just got back from a couple of days fishing in N.H., and this thread is going south fast. Please don't reply to this thread if your going to trash someone.
                                                         BJ

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #25 on: Feb 24, 2023, 11:34 AM »
I just got back from a couple of days fishing in N.H., and this thread is going south fast. Please don't reply to this thread if your going to trash someone.
                                                         BJ

No trashing going on.  But I do see the forum going downhill every year!

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 24, 2023, 11:40 AM »
After ALL the trash talking that goes on in here and you think this post is going south??? I dont see any trash talking but there was plenty I sent you that you did nothing about. And yet we wonder why all the old timers from here are gone  ...SMH

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #27 on: Feb 24, 2023, 11:44 AM »
After ALL the trash talking that goes on in here and you think this post is going south??? I dont see any trash talking but there was plenty I sent you that you did nothing about. And yet we wonder why all the old timers from here are gone  ...SMH
Definitely not like it used to be, which is a shame. Met many people on here that I still fish with today.

Offline Ryan51993

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 24, 2023, 11:46 AM »
I've seen bans handed out on here for next to nothing but the guys writing "you're just lazy if you're not on ice every weekend" repeatedly on different threads have no consequences. Mods could have put a stop to those kind of comments when they started in early January but they have chosen not to so we'll keep hemorrhaging users who don't want to be insulted instead.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #29 on: Feb 24, 2023, 12:09 PM »
I've seen bans handed out on here for next to nothing but the guys writing "you're just lazy if you're not on ice every weekend" repeatedly on different threads have no consequences. Mods could have put a stop to those kind of comments when they started in early January but they have chosen not to so we'll keep hemorrhaging users who don't want to be insulted instead.

Unfortunately for you, you joined long after the forum was full of regulars helping and having get togethers on the ice. Now it's more a ghost town.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.