Author Topic: I sold my Jiffy Torch and bought the onsale pistol bit and it doesn't even cut.  (Read 3204 times)

Offline HuyFishin

• IceShanty Rookie

I got the pistol bit onsale for 200 at the fishin hole. Brought it out for its first test drive and it didn't even work. The auger didn't even cut through 2 inches of ice. It just skims the surface. I think I got defective blades or the blade pitch is incorrect.

https://www.youtube.com/c/HuyFishin
Follow like and subscribe! Appreciate the support!

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Blades on upside down ?
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
I beleive there is a known issue with the blades on this auger from a certain production line.  They started sending them out with extra blades.  Call/e-mail them.  I am sure they will send you new ones.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
Is your auger rotation the same as old one?
Some are designed CW &CCW. rotations

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I beleive there is a known issue with the blades on this auger from a certain production line.  They started sending them out with extra blades.  Call/e-mail them.  I am sure they will send you new ones.

Your drill was set to speed 1 yes ?

If it is from last years inventory it may have bad blades ..contact Eskimo via a call as you are not able to make a warantee claim on line due to a lack of a serial number.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
My bad, didn't watch the video first. Definitely a blade problem but the Milwaukee dig cut a lot deeper than the DeWalt w/ trashed blades.

Offline HuyFishin

• IceShanty Rookie
So I ended up going back to the local tackle shop and they were really nice about it. They gave me a new Auger but now my mind is telling me I should have asked for blades instead. Just incase this new auger is a part of the bad batch.

When I first did my original test The blade cover was off and drill was in right rotation speed 1, No ice build up on the blades since it was my very first time taking it out on the ice.

Since I have uploaded this video some people have also reported the same issue.

I'm gonna test this new auger the tackle shop gave me. If it doesn't work out I will call Eskimo Direct for new blades.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
So I ended up going back to the local tackle shop and they were really nice about it. They gave me a new Auger but now my mind is telling me I should have asked for blades instead. Just incase this new auger is a part of the bad batch.

When I first did my original test The blade cover was off and drill was in right rotation speed 1, No ice build up on the blades since it was my very first time taking it out on the ice.

Since I have uploaded this video some people have also reported the same issue.

I'm gonna test this new auger the tackle shop gave me. If it doesn't work out I will call Eskimo Direct for new blades.

Did you ask if the inventory was from last season ? If not ...who knows if a batch of this seasons inventory is not so good ..took about mid season last year for the problem to surface ...Eskimo did not put out a full recall notice but it affected both ION and the Pistol bit 8" models ..they were quick to rectify . Strikemaster 8" Lite flight have an issue this season
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
Yep, known issue.  The installed blades have an incorrect pitch.  If they included a separate set, those should work and the angle difference will be visibly obvious.  Or, call Eskimo and they will send new blades.  Happened to me last season.  I used the auger with replacement blades this year and works great.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Yep, known issue.  The installed blades have an incorrect pitch.  If they included a separate set, those should work and the angle difference will be visibly obvious.  Or, call Eskimo and they will send new blades.  Happened to me last season.  I used the auger with replacement blades this year and works great.

I purchased  a 8" Pistol bit over the summer ..and it had the extra set of blades ..Last season my buddies pistol Bit set up was a head scratcher ..got new blades and off to the races .

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Might want to consider going back to gas given all the hassle! ;D  As an aside, I unboxed an 8" torch last night and it ripped! ;D

Offline HuyFishin

• IceShanty Rookie
Might want to consider going back to gas given all the hassle! ;D  As an aside, I unboxed an 8" torch last night and it ripped! ;D

I bought the torch. It cut like a hot knife in butter but it really requires alot of torque. It doesn't cut very much ice even while using a 6ah high output battery so I wasn't exactly satisfied. Burns out the battery so quickly. (might I add it didn't have any problems out of the box though LOL)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I was just teasing, good luck in getting a setup that works the way you want.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
HuyFishin what model Dewalt were you using on that torch  video(s)?

Offline HuyFishin

• IceShanty Rookie
HuyFishin what model Dewalt were you using on that torch  video(s)?

This was from a brand new in box DCD999 with a 6ah flexvolt battery.

The flagship. I honestly think the torch needs atleast 1200in/lb torque plus a 6ah or higher.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
This was from a brand new in box DCD999 with a 6ah flexvolt battery.

The flagship. I honestly think the torch needs atleast 1200in/lb torque plus a 6ah or higher.

WOW ..that is food for thought ..chipper blades eat up some juice ..I would not of thought it was that tough to drill

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
Easy fix........Buy a Strikemaster Lite Flite......Problem solved.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.