Author Topic: Auger lifespan  (Read 4042 times)

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live fishing Die fishing
Auger lifespan
« on: Aug 29, 2020, 10:21 AM »
I got a clam electric auger and was wondering how long it would last

Offline Maineguy93

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Auger lifespan
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2020, 11:03 AM »
Do you actually read some of the things you post? I generally try not to be a dick but come on?

As far as your silly question, you treat it like crap and abuse it it will not last long... you take care of it and it will last you a very long time. Also I would have asked about your augers lifespan BEFORE you bought it, not after

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2020, 11:42 AM »

What did your extensive research come up with ..even w/o a model  ?

Let me be the first to agree with you that it is the best and will last forever .

Can I get a quote and a X2 from the IS community
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2020, 11:43 AM »
What did your extensive research come up with ..even w/o a model  ?

Let me be the first to agree with you that it is the best and will last forever .

Can I get a quote and a X2 from the IS community

X2
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2020, 11:45 AM »
hahaha I told ya hd...getting burnt out lol x3

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2020, 11:54 AM »
The story of the boy who cried wolf comes to mind  ;)2

feel free to quote and X2 also
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2020, 11:56 AM »
The story of the boy who cried wolf comes to mind  ;)2

feel free to quote and X2 also

X2
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2020, 12:30 PM »
I try not to be too judgmental. I have asked questions when I first started ice fishing 9 years ago which probably seemed basic to those I asked.

But I also think that I had intent in mind when I asked the questions. Why treble hooks vs single hooks? Won’t that kill more fish? How do you properly use a flasher?

I am proud to say I have never asked which beer lands more fish, or will my polarized sunglasses help me catch more fish on the hardwater.

Esox Fisherman I wish you a successful and safe upcoming ice season!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2020, 04:54 PM »
"We'll see" didn't have to wait too long. Did it?  ::)
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2020, 11:48 PM »
I don't think the Clam electric augers have really been out long enough to make a fair assessment of how long they will last under normal wear and tear. But I would think as long as they keep making replacement batteries for the particular model you have you should be fine.
Oh, and

Let me be the first to agree with you that it is the best and will last forever . Oh...and X2
[/quote]

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Aug 30, 2020, 10:10 AM »

Ok now that I made my point let me help you out .

I believe you have the Clam Outdoors 120 Volt Electric Ice Auger( I do not see this on the Clam website anymore) ..which I believe is a rebranded Trophy Strike auger which may be a good or bad thing if parts remain available ..there are not many IS members with either of these brand augers that I can recall. Couple things that would concern me is the battery ..should the battery platform be discontinued( StrikeMaster 50 volt was discontinued)..you may own a paper weight down the road ..but if you keep it charged you should get years of use out of it ..also when charging the battery be sure and bring the battery up to room temperature as if the battery is cold it will not take the fullest charge .Also some electric auger manufacturers (Eskimo/ION ) have had on/off/reverse switch failures so keep it safe as you can  no banging and keep it dry . If I recall correctly the auger may have Mora/flat blades which are more resilient in dirty/sand ice as opposed to lazer style blades ..and Mora style blades can be sharpened by hand with some practice .

This may be the company that may have parts if need be ..maybe send them and Clam an inquiry Email as to if they are suppling any parts etc PS Trophy Strike use to be a Sponsor of this site but appears not to be now.

https://trophystrike.com/

Since you have the Clam auger you should consider a little review ..performance... weight ...ergonomics ...battery life etc.

Hope this helps you out some ...and you get long life with your purchase.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Aug 30, 2020, 10:26 AM »

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #12 on: Aug 30, 2020, 12:35 PM »
Man this got jumped on pretty hard, but have to agree! probably a good idea to try to ask a question that has a little more back ground information. So thanks to HD for trying to help the OP out!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Aug 30, 2020, 03:38 PM »
5 year warranty but barley found info it existed other then a few adds and sweet deal for $200 instead of $550

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Aug 30, 2020, 04:13 PM »
5 year warranty but barley found info it existed other then a few adds and sweet deal for $200 instead of $550

Well that sounds like a deal price wise ..I would still contact Clam and see who is responsible for parts and warrantee. I also believe Frictionless world did file for bankruptcy. Hope it works out for you in the long run .   

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Aug 30, 2020, 04:44 PM »
Just went for it for the price it so new I couldn’t find anything seems really good it stealthy just curious if I should ever be worried about a new one

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Aug 30, 2020, 04:53 PM »
Just went for it for the price it so new I couldn’t find anything seems really good it stealthy just curious if I should ever be worried about a new one

Follow my advice above concerning the charging of the battery ..thats all/best you can do for now . If your happy with it and take care of it it can potentially last you years and years .

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Aug 30, 2020, 04:57 PM »
Having an extra set of blades handy along with the means to change them on ice or at/in your vehicle is great advice too..

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Aug 30, 2020, 05:03 PM »
Having an extra set of blades handy along with the means to change them on ice or at/in your vehicle is great advice too..
I do have a spare hand auger

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Aug 30, 2020, 05:25 PM »
I do have a spare hand auger

Good to have a back up and/or an action plan . :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Aug 31, 2020, 02:55 AM »
so here is the deal with the Clam 120 volt electric auger. Prior to last ice season Frictionless world approached Clam and wanted to license the Clam name 
 for use on their auger to see if it would help them grow their share of the electric auger market and also get the Clam Brand name on another item. I think their thinking was that people knew the Clam name and it would help bring them more business  since prior to licensing the Clam name and making the color change to their auger they made the Trophy Strike electric auger which didn't seem to have much of a following from what I have seen. so Clam came to a agreement to try it one ice season and see how it goes. Clam decided to discontinue the agreement with frictionless world do to under performance of sales and thus they remove the auger from the website. As of last season Clam did have some of the spare blades and extensions and batteries that they sold via their website but I don't know if they still have anything left at Clam or if they returned the stuff to Frictionless World once the agreement ended. Depending on what the issue was Clam did do some warranty claims on them but if they couldn't they would send the customer to Frictionless World. As for parts like the batteries. the Clam one (blue and black case) and the Trophy Strike (orange and black case) can be inter changed along with the blades too. Also when it come to the blade I believe there is a chance that the Ion Blades might work too (don't quote me on this) if they have the same bolt size and hole spacing on the auger. so I guess if it was me I would reach out to Clam customer service first and if they can't help you directly they could direct you to where you need to deal with.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline LSE138

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Sep 01, 2020, 04:55 AM »
Per Frictionless World's website:
"Due to the current state of our business and the COVID-19 pandemic, we will no longer be servicing warranty claims for our Dirty Hand Tools, RanchEx, Vinsetta and Clam brands.  We will continue to selling and servicing Redback and Trophy Strike products.

We will no longer be selling Clam products.  We affirm that the listings describing the items being sold is true and accurate to the best of our knowledge.

All product sales are final with no warranty or returns."

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Sep 01, 2020, 08:40 AM »
Couple things that would concern me is the battery ..should the battery platform be discontinued( StrikeMaster 50 volt was discontinued)..you may own a paper weight down the road ..

Well as an owner of the StrikeMaster 50 Volt...I found this to be somewhat terrifying.  haha.  Anyone have a spare Strike Master 50 Volt battery for sale?

-  Suddenly Nervous in Pennsylvania
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #23 on: Sep 01, 2020, 09:37 AM »
Well as an owner of the StrikeMaster 50 Volt...I found this to be somewhat terrifying.  haha.  Anyone have a spare Strike Master 50 Volt battery for sale?

-  Suddenly Nervous in Pennsylvania

You didn't get a recall notice? https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2015/rapala-recalls-strikemaster-ice-augers

I know, this was 5 years ago but check this article: https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/02/15/call-kurtis-can-recalls-expire/#:~:text=We%20contacted%20the%20Consumer%20Product,not%20expire%2C%E2%80%9D%20she%20said.&text=If%20you're%20in%20possession,a%20receipt%20to%20the%20store.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Sep 01, 2020, 09:52 AM »
No!!!  Holy crap.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Sep 01, 2020, 10:07 AM »
First I've heard of this, SM hasn't had the best luck in the electric auger world. Ion's still going strong. Had to say it, sorry.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #27 on: Sep 01, 2020, 10:29 AM »
More info from Rapala. Apparently only units pre-November 2015 are eligible. https://www.rapala.com/content/rapala-legal/strikemaster-lithium-lazer-8-recall.html

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Sep 01, 2020, 10:38 AM »
More info from Rapala. Apparently only units pre-November 2015 are eligible. https://www.rapala.com/content/rapala-legal/strikemaster-lithium-lazer-8-recall.html

I was just reading that!  I managed to track down my order confirmation and it was from 2016, so I guess I'm good to go.  Would still like to find another battery though...

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #29 on: Sep 01, 2020, 10:50 AM »
Here's one source that seems to still have them in stock: https://www.glensoutdoors.com/strikemaster-lithium-lazer-50v-replacement-battery.html?ff=1&fp=71735&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&utm_content=base

But that price  :o

One more thought. I know that the Batteries Plus franchise here used to rebuild proprietary battery packs. Had 'em do one to restore and old original Sony cassette player/recorder. Did a nice job. Looks like the screws on top of the pack might allow a rebuild of a dead soldier if you have one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.