Alaska > Ice Fishing Alaska

Aqua-Vu Question

(1/4) > >>

Bushwhack Jack:
I'm thinking of buying one next year.  I've always wondered something about them.  Does the wire that holds the camera down in the water get in the way with the lure and your fishing line when you catch a fish?  I suppose it wouldn't matter much in shallower water because you can probably hang the camera just below the ice.  But if you are fishing for lake trout, burbot, and whitefish in 30-40 ft or more, I would assume the camera wire would get tangled up with your line when you hooked a fish.  Can anyone confirm or deny?

Fry Flier:
Unless you are in ultra-clear water with a lot of light penetration you will always be close to the hole that you are fishing from. My aqua-vu is usually in its own hole and it is normally not much more than 5-6 feet away from the hole I am fishing out of and that is in 15-20 feet of water. The deeper you go the less light you will have and the harder to see distance. That said 30-40 or fifty feet could get your line and camera line tangled.

Gunflint:
The deepest that I have found a camera effective is about 50 feet - and I fish in clear water. They can go another 10-20 feet deeper if there is no show on clear ice. The snow cover blocks light. The deepest that I have gone is 60 feet fishing next to a section of the lake that had been plowed of snow on a sunny day.

The on-board lights on the camera are useless for me. They illuminate and attract plankton and not worth using. A camera is GREAT FUN when you can see and not fun when you can't.

I spend time looking for humps and spots for Lake trout that are 30 feet deep and less and when I find them, they are great!.

Bushwhack Jack:

--- Quote from: Fry Flier on Apr 02, 2020, 08:42 PM ---Unless you are in ultra-clear water with a lot of light penetration you will always be close to the hole that you are fishing from. My aqua-vu is usually in its own hole and it is normally not much more than 5-6 feet away from the hole I am fishing out of and that is in 15-20 feet of water. The deeper you go the less light you will have and the harder to see distance. That said 30-40 or fifty feet could get your line and camera line tangled.

--- End quote ---

Fry Flier, thanks for your input.  I fish anywhere from 5-40 feet of water.  But when I am targeting lakers specifically, I typically fish 20-40 ft.  Yes the lake I fish on is crystal clear.  And yes I know other people use the Aqua-vus at those depths but I wondered if the line would get tangled.   

Bushwhack Jack:

--- Quote from: Gunflint on Apr 03, 2020, 08:16 AM ---The deepest that I have found a camera effective is about 50 feet - and I fish in clear water. They can go another 10-20 feet deeper if there is no show on clear ice. The snow cover blocks light. The deepest that I have gone is 60 feet fishing next to a section of the lake that had been plowed of snow on a sunny day.

The on-board lights on the camera are useless for me. They illuminate and attract plankton and not worth using. A camera is GREAT FUN when you can see and not fun when you can't.

I spend time looking for humps and spots for Lake trout that are 30 feet deep and less and when I find them, they are great!.

--- End quote ---

Gunflint, good insight.  But does your line get tangled at those depths and what do you do to avoid it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version